Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Do you know who John Barnes is?

I couldn’t care if Muhammad Ali himself came back to speak on this issue quite honestly.

Some are clearly offended by this type of imagery. It is what it is. The debate is pointless. I’m sure the player learned his lesson and we move on.

Reactions: maclean

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I couldn’t care if Muhammad Ali himself came back to speak on this issue quite honestly.

Some are clearly offended by this type of imagery. It is what it is. The debate is pointless. I’m sure the player learned his lesson and we move on.
So you think that being offended by a cartoon black person is less racist than a jovial comparison of that cartoon and a person between friends, who both find it funny? The beauty in this situation being, of course, that it's largely white people jumping into the situation and calling it racist.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So you think that being offended by a cartoon black person is less racist than a jovial comparison of that cartoon and a person between friends, who both find it funny? The beauty in this situation being, of course, that it's largely white people jumping into the situation and calling it racist.

I can’t speak to what offends others. Me, I don’t think it was a racist act, just very poor situational awareness.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Haven’t been following this too closely but have there been a large number of black people actually offended?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
According to Solskjär, Pogba's ankle was badly swollen after the game and sore at the end of the game and is therefore uncertain for the Arsenal game.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Decent chance Rashford and Martial miss too. So Greenwood could get his first league start.

At least James seems to be fit so that's two forward positions covered. I also think Arsenal might be more fitting an opponent for Lingard as he can keep pressing their defense instead of trying to break down a parked bus.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
nle5ycsk38p31.jpg

Yikes @ Spurs & United.

Reactions: Blender

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That graphic also illustrates how terrible the rest of the top 6 has been.
I think it's a combination of things, to be honest. I think coaching and parity has evolved to a level where it's not good enough to just have the best players and expect consistent results. I don't think that the overall talent level of the top 6 is worse than it has been in recent times, but I think that in some cases the coaching is lacking and on top of it the mid-table teams and even the bottom-table teams have begun to get stronger and have been finding some very good coaches as well. No doubt it also makes it harder that there are two teams head and shoulders above the rest. I don't think there being a 'locked in' top 6 is long for this league anymore.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
In different notes, the court case between New Balance and Liverpool has had some details come out.

Supposedly, Liverpool want to take less up front from Nike (more like 30-35 million a season) for a better percent of supplemental sales and non kit gear. That’s part of why they picked NB in the past, because they were given a bigger cut of non kit stuff (along with the ability to sell other goods). The key point of why Liverpool want Nike is they have a better distribution network (more stores, sales, etc) and are putting together a plan to market LFC with their people and influencers like Lebron, Drake, Serena, etc. the latter making sense as Lebron still owns a tiny fractional percent of the club. So by taking Nike, Liverpool felt they could sell more stuff than they could make with NB. New Balance are suing because their contract included some language about being able to try and match an offer. Liverpool’s argument seems to be that NB can’t offer the scale and market share that Nike can.

Originally, it had seemed LFC wanted a record fee for the EPL, but I think they figure they’ll do much better taking a smaller fee but more money for other products.

It should be interesting, especially when you consider the relationship NB seems to have with FSG going back (both Boston based companies).

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I think it's a combination of things, to be honest. I think coaching and parity has evolved to a level where it's not good enough to just have the best players and expect consistent results. I don't think that the overall talent level of the top 6 is worse than it has been in recent times, but I think that in some cases the coaching is lacking and on top of it the mid-table teams and even the bottom-table teams have begun to get stronger and have been finding some very good coaches as well. No doubt it also makes it harder that there are two teams head and shoulders above the rest. I don't think there being a 'locked in' top 6 is long for this league anymore.

While I agree with much of what you say (although whether that final sentence proves correct is a moot point - it's hard to believe the top six wouldn't find a way of pulling up the ladder if they found themselves under too great a sustained threat), I think an important additional point is the amount of power now wielded by teflon bean-counters over recruitment. With increasing frequency, these figures set up coaches to fail safe in the knowledge they'll escape accountability.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
In different notes, the court case between New Balance and Liverpool has had some details come out.

Supposedly, Liverpool want to take less up front from Nike (more like 30-35 million a season) for a better percent of supplemental sales and non kit gear. That’s part of why they picked NB in the past, because they were given a bigger cut of non kit stuff (along with the ability to sell other goods). The key point of why Liverpool want Nike is they have a better distribution network (more stores, sales, etc) and are putting together a plan to market LFC with their people and influencers like Lebron, Drake, Serena, etc. the latter making sense as Lebron still owns a tiny fractional percent of the club. So by taking Nike, Liverpool felt they could sell more stuff than they could make with NB. New Balance are suing because their contract included some language about being able to try and match an offer. Liverpool’s argument seems to be that NB can’t offer the scale and market share that Nike can.

Originally, it had seemed LFC wanted a record fee for the EPL, but I think they figure they’ll do much better taking a smaller fee but more money for other products.

It should be interesting, especially when you consider the relationship NB seems to have with FSG going back (both Boston based companies).

I'm a little confused by this though. A quick google say Liverpool average 1.13 million sold shirts per season. A shirt is about 75 pounds. 75*0.2 (read we're getting 20%) = 15. 15*1 130 000 = 16 950 000 + 30 000 000 = 46 950 000. Isn't that low? I get people are buying more than just shirts, but still.

PS my math sucks so I could be completely wrong :D

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
With kit deals, they’re usually getting a flat fee for the kit sales, and then a percent of the other items like hats, scarfs, you name it.

So Liverpool is gambling they can sell more Nike secondary stuff to makeup the lost money on kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad