Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Alisson and Klopp take home the FIFA “best” awards for keeper and manager. VVD loses out to Messi for best player award.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's too bad that Modric won the Ballon d'Or last year or I'd feel a lot more confident about van Dijk winning it. Would definitely be nice to see him win the award; very deservedly.

Still, Messi is not undeserving. Congrats to him on this one.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don’t really see a problem with it if the part where Mendy took it well is accurate.
How is that racist?
I don't think a lot of people actually know what racism is anymore the way it's thrown around about almost everything. I feel like it's almost insulting to people that have had to actually endure real racism.

That said, again if Balotelli got in trouble for this, then I don't see how Silva escapes some kind of punishment.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I don't think a lot of people actually know what racism is anymore the way it's thrown around about almost everything. I feel like it's almost insulting to people that have had to actually endure real racism.

That said, again if Balotelli got in trouble for this, then I don't see how Silva escapes some kind of punishment.

The Balotelli post isn't racist either. Bunch of snowflakes out there.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

You don't see what's racist in comparing your black teammate to a chocolate candy mascot which is a known caricature of an african child with it's own checkered past? I mean the candy is chocolate and called Conguitos (an ode to the Congo) and the caricature used to have a spear. Really? Nothing there? Can't see it?

His intentions don't matter. That he grew up seeing this and joking about it in Spanish/Portuguese cultural means he isn't malicious. It doesn't make it non racist.

Reactions: maclean

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You don't see what's racist in comparing your black teammate to a chocolate candy mascot which is a known caricature of an african child with it's own checkered past? I mean the candy is chocolate and called Conguitos (an ode to the Congo) and the caricature used to have a spear. Really? Nothing there? Can't see it?

His intentions don't matter. That he grew up seeing this and joking about it in Spanish/Portuguese cultural means he isn't malicious. It doesn't make it non racist.
So in what way is he discriminating, showing prejudice, inciting hatred or imposing superiority over anyone with this?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The problem is don't make a joke like that public. If it's a genuine joke with Mendy, you should be aware enough to know that it's more of a private joke.

The mascot itself should be more of the issue though.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The problem is don't make a joke like that public. If it's a genuine joke with Mendy, you should be aware enough to know that it's more of a private joke.

The mascot itself should be more of the issue though.
I do agree with everything you said here. I don’t think the joke itself was all that bad as Mendy found it funny too.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Looking at the Conguitos mascots, they have the same red lips on a white version of it, and they also have black and white versions without the red lips.

The black one with the red lips definitely appears bad on the surface, but in reality it's probably just more of a poorly done mascot, since the white one is the exact same way.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That posters even doubt it’s racist speaks volumes to the larger issue at hand. Sad. His intention however I don’t believe were, so he’s just a knucklehead IMO and will learn from this.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That posters even doubt it’s racist speaks volumes to the larger issue at hand. Sad. His intention however I don’t believe were, so he’s just a knucklehead IMO and will learn from this.
Or maybe it's the people that are acting like it was racist that are the issue.

Reactions: Gecklund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad