Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That was just a stupid buy, I didn't even understand it when we did it. At least with Barkley the hope was that we might be able to revive his promising potential, whether it works out or not.
Right, and Barkley was cheap. Barkley was a good buy because his price and he has a role that he's satisfied with and the club is too. Everyone knew he was just going to be a depth attacking-mid with possible upside. He has no problem getting minutes in Cup matches and here and there in the league. Drinkwater had a price tag of someone who should start a decent amount, but there was no spot for him, even on a rotational basis.

I'm not sure who we'd want for Kante's depth because it's kind of like getting depth for Azpilicueta when he was at the top of his game. They just aren't going to play much.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Right, and Barkley was cheap. Barkley was a good buy because his price and he has a role that he's satisfied with and the club is too. Everyone knew he was just going to be a depth attacking-mid with possible upside. He has no problem getting minutes in Cup matches and here and there in the league. Drinkwater had a price tag of someone who should start a decent amount, but there was no spot for him, even on a rotational basis.

I'm not sure who we'd want for Kante's depth because it's kind of like getting depth for Azpilicueta when he was at the top of his game. They just aren't going to play much.
I honestly can't put a name on a Kante understudy. It's the kind of thing where you need to go find some 17/18 year old that displays a lot of the same skill set ideally. These types of players are often highly undervalued, so it's not like they will be expensive even if we have to buy from outside of our academy. Just need to get someone in and training with Kante and the club, so that when he is injured we at least have someone we can try in that role. Leicester bought Kante from Caen for £5.6m even after his season in Caen where he put up some of the best defensive stats of anyone in the top 4 leagues, because no one was looking at him except Steve Walsh.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I honestly can't put a name on a Kante understudy. It's the kind of thing where you need to go find some 17/18 year old that displays a lot of the same skill set ideally. These types of players are often highly undervalued, so it's not like they will be expensive even if we have to buy from outside of our academy. Just need to get someone in and training with Kante and the club, so that when he is injured we at least have someone we can try in that role. Leicester bought Kante from Caen for £5.6m even after his season in Caen where he put up some of the best defensive stats of anyone in the top 4 leagues, because no one was looking at him except Steve Walsh.
Yeah, you either try and find that diamond in the rough or some vet for English player that isn't good enough to start at a top 6 club on a consistent basis, but just wants to be apart of the team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm just happy we aren't one of the top 6 clubs in shambles right now. This season had disaster written all over it, but Lampard is executing his plan, and the youth are stepping up. Almost all of our top performers wouldn't have been even on the team if we didn't have the transfer ban. Possible that Tomori, Mount, and Abraham all would have been on loans. Crazy.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's some of the trouble with Liverpool and their front 3. Who do they buy who is happy to sit the bench?

You can't spend 80 million unless you're City on Pepe to have him ride the pine.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's some of the trouble with Liverpool and their front 3. Who do they buy who is happy to sit the bench?

You can't spend 80 million unless you're City on Pepe to have him ride the pine.
Right, and it's why I didn't believe any big name player would go there anyway. Players know the situations they are going to, no young promising player like Pepe would go to Liverpool when they know they can't break into that front 3.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, I think they could, but Liverpool would have to be willing to keep their youth on the bench (or gone) and pay the equivalent wages. It's partially why Origi was kept. He's not the best player, but he scores a timely goal, works hard in training and fills a role.

There's a significant challenge for Liverpool to find players who can fit what they need. Along with needing to balance it with some loyalty to players who got them there.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If someone had told me that Arsenal would be 1 point back of City at any point this season I would have laughed....yet here we are, feels strange!

Reactions: bluesfan94

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean, I think they could, but Liverpool would have to be willing to keep their youth on the bench (or gone) and pay the equivalent wages. It's partially why Origi was kept. He's not the best player, but he scores a timely goal, works hard in training and fills a role.

There's a significant challenge for Liverpool to find players who can fit what they need. Along with needing to balance it with some loyalty to players who got them there.
Yeah, it's why clubs with such high-end talent have players like Origi. They know their role and they are just happy to be along for the ride and will contribute when called upon. We aren't playing a game of FIFA where you can stack the bench with stars.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If someone had told me that Arsenal would be 1 point back of City at any point this season I would have laughed....yet here we are, feels strange!
It's why all teams need to have proper depth. City will continue to drop points as long as this is what their CB situation is.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Well, if Liverpool shellac United in their next match, that might be the indicator.

I'm just not sure there's a lot of other options where they can go out and get them. But theoretically it could put United in the relegation zone, or darn close.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Must be a bit embarassing to the United fans this one.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think if he has been fired yet he won't until the end of the season.

Idk I think since OGS was the fan favorite for the job post mou and a legend I could see Woodward willing to let him be the scapegoat for a little. However he looks more out of his depth than I ever would’ve imagined and he needs to go.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Idk I think since OGS was the fan favorite for the job post mou and a legend I could see Woodward willing to let him be the scapegoat for a little. However he looks more out of his depth than I ever would’ve imagined and he needs to go.

I think him looking out of his depth makes it more likely that Woodward will leave him in the job for a bit.

If he looked like he was doing remotely alright with the team provided, firing him just increases the calls for Woodward to be replaced.

This was Woodward can just let him sit there for a while and then fire him when it’s too close to the January window for a new guy to come in and have any real say, but soon enough for Woodward to still claim innocence when they make terrible buys.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think him looking out of his depth makes it more likely that Woodward will leave him in the job for a bit.

If he looked like he was doing remotely alright with the team provided, firing him just increases the calls for Woodward to be replaced.

This was Woodward can just let him sit there for a while and then fire him when it’s too close to the January window for a new guy to come in and have any real say, but soon enough for Woodward to still claim innocence when they make terrible buys.

I kind of see it as the board going “this was your guy, this is who you wanted” and almost turning it on the fans instead of it being another Woodward blunder.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Manchester City on another level so far in attack, but Liverpool has been much better at defending which is likely why they are undefeated and City have dropped points.

Chelsea pretty damn impressive, even with their defensive struggles, considering how many academy players they have been playing.

EGN7zHxWsAAFu6g.jpg

EGN7zHyWwAMkuZp.jpg

EGN7zIyWsAAhPSM.jpg

EGN7zH3XYAUCnWc.jpg

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Manchester City on another level so far in attack, but Liverpool has been much better at defending which is likely why they are undefeated and City have dropped points.

Chelsea pretty damn impressive, even with their defensive struggles, considering how many academy players they have been playing.

EGN7zHxWsAAFu6g.jpg

EGN7zHyWwAMkuZp.jpg

EGN7zIyWsAAhPSM.jpg

EGN7zH3XYAUCnWc.jpg

Unless I'm reading it wrong though, City also has the lowest shots against. So their defence is actually doing well (in preventing shots from ever being taken), though I guess they have been less efficient at keeping those chances from becoming goals.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Unless I'm reading it wrong though, City also has the lowest shots against. So their defence is actually doing well (in preventing shots from ever being taken), though I guess they have been less efficient at keeping those chances from becoming goals.
You're reading it correctly, they have also faced the fewest shots against. They have a higher xGA than Liverpool and Manchester United though, but not by much. City has definitely dropped some points they had no business dropping based on how they have played.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don’t know. The two loses they’ve suffered were deserved I’d say. Especially Norwich. They were so clever and focused on following their game against them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
City is what I expect from Pep teams. They will dominate their possession, so attack numbers will look great, but when they do give up opportunities, they tend to be more dangerous opportunities than other teams give up. Basically what the 3rd chart shows. The defense itself isn't all that great for them, but the game isn't that simple.

They are vulnerable, but do a great job of masking it with their attack.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don’t know. The two loses they’ve suffered were deserved I’d say. Especially Norwich. They were so clever and focused on following their game against them.
70/30% possession, 8 shots on target to 3, 25 shot attempts to 7. I'd say Man City dominated that game, and a few lapses lead to 3 goals against while they were less efficient in scoring on their chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad