Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't see how he gets much time when Mount is playing this well.
Mount won't play in every game, and there is also the other attacking spot that will be available. Once Hudson-Odoi is healthy match fit, that'll hurt his chances more, and that will be soon. The interesting situation will be how we play when RLC comes back. What would the 1st choice formation be and how does Lampard view RLC as a player. Pulisic could quickly become the 4th/5th attacking option in a couple months once RLC is match fit.

Reactions: Blender and Cassano

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mount won't play in every game, and there is also the other attacking spot that will be available. Once Hudson-Odoi is healthy match fit, that'll hurt his chances more, and that will be soon. The interesting situation will be how we play when RLC comes back. What would the 1st choice formation be and how does Lampard view RLC as a player. Pulisic could quickly become the 4th/5th attacking option in a couple months once RLC is match fit.
I'm not exactly sure how I would set the formation, but the starting 11 I want when healthy is Abraham, CHO, Mount, Kante, Jorginho, RLC, Emerson, Rudiger, Tomori, Azpilicueta, and Kepa.

4-4-2 diamond or 4-3-3 maybe? Abraham and CHO up top, Mount slightly behind them because he's lethal from distance. Kante, Jorginho, and RLC controlling the midfield.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not exactly sure how I would set the formation, but the starting 11 I want when healthy is Abraham, CHO, Mount, Kante, Jorginho, RLC, Emerson, Rudiger, Tomori, Azpilicueta, and Kepa.

4-4-2 diamond or 4-3-3 maybe? Abraham and CHO up top, Mount slightly behind them because he's lethal from distance. Kante, Jorginho, and RLC controlling the midfield.
Those 2 or 4-2-3-1 would work. If James plays as well as I think he can, we'll see a back 3 with him and Emerson/Alonso as wing-backs.

Frank probably uses all 4 setups throughout the year.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Those 2 or 4-2-3-1 would work. If James plays as well as I think he can, we'll see a back 3 with him and Emerson/Alonso as wing-backs.

Frank probably uses all 4 setups throughout the year.
I definitely think James gets played, just not sure how good he'll be yet. No way Alfonso should play over Emerson, except for rotation. Emerson is really good, and highly underrated.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I definitely think James gets played, just not sure how good he'll be yet. No way Alfonso should play over Emerson, except for rotation. Emerson is really good, and highly underrated.
Agreed. Alonso should only play as a wing-back in a back 3 IMO.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't think he deserves quite the amount of hate he gets. Obviously not the elite of the elite when it comes to managers, but he has done pretty well considering the circumstances of the job.
3xnjytjghjn31.jpg

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Newcastle United legend and erstwhile under-23 team coach Peter Beardsley is banned from football for eight months by the FA for the use of racially abusive language towards players under his charge.

You can read Beardsley's defiant response here: Peter Beardsley handed eight-month ban by FA - read the full transcript of his statement. The mixture of self-pity and contempt for the verdict are worthy of a politician.

A thoroughly depressing story, this. Some good people have leaped to Beardsley's defence. I've read and heard sundry anecdotes of him being a model teammate, especially sympathetic to young team mates, as well as generous and kind towards fans. On the other hand, this was his second stint as NUFC reserves coach, and the first ended with him being discreetly eased out of his role after being cleared of racially aggravated bullying. The things he has been found guilty of saying revolt me. They are the words of a narrow-minded bigot. I won't repeat them, but Craig Hope of the Daily Mail, a Newcastle fan himself, has reported them if you really care to seek them out.

What's fascinating here, and bitterly amusing, is the line 'Surprisingly, Newcastle United did not provide the relevant training and education for Peter.'

Mike Ashley neglecting his staff? Mike Ashley showing no interest in corporate responsibility? Mike Ashley refusing to invest in people? Whoever would have thought it?

Just about everyone who knows about how Mike Ashley does business, that's who.

Not only did Beardsley return to work for NUFC under Ashley, but he publicly defended the man, to the disgust of many who'd revered him as a player. He came across as a time-server, despite the abundant evidence that if there's one type of person Ashley hates more than those who oppose him, it's those whose loyalty he can buy.

What a player Peter Beardsley was: an artist who worked like a journeyman, a host in himself who played selflessly for the team - quick in thought, movement and execution. Glorious close control, marvellous vision, genuinely two-footed, a dribbler or passer who could shoot with power or placement at distance. Many Geordies of my generation would declare him the best footballer they've seen wearing the black and white stripes, surpassing even Shearer.

A hero on the football field, but off it a human being, and human beings carry failings. As he deserves praise for the joy he's brought, so Beardsley cannot now be defended for his squalid behaviour.

When Steve Bruce was appointed, the Newcastle-supporting journalist George Caulkin lamented, 'Mike Ashley's regime chews up good people'. Mike Ashley isn't responsible for this - nobody forced Beardsley to say what he did. And in light of what he said, calling Beardsley 'good' would feel a hell of a stretch. It was, however, on Ashley's watch that a man who'd demonstrated no especial aptitude for coaching, who had hanging over him an unpleasant murk, was brought back to the club, seemingly as a reward for being a sycophant. I'll freely confess to my bias. Still, it's hard to escape the feeling that at Newcastle United, every current washes back into the same polluted waters.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Have they done something bad? I don't know enough about them but aside from millionaire/billionaire lack of ethics that apply to most huge businesses didn't they make their money in construction or something and disown Osama? This is just what I've read online and I'm too lazy to look into it deeper. Seems like a business deal like any other these days when it comes to footy.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Have they done something bad? I don't know enough about them but aside from millionaire/billionaire lack of ethics that apply to most huge businesses didn't they make their money in construction or something and disown Osama? This is just what I've read online and I'm too lazy to look into it deeper. Seems like a business deal like any other these days when it comes to footy.

No, there's more than just Osama. I'll link you all this because I don't want to copy and paste everything.

Bin Laden family - Wikipedia

It also looks bad.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Newcastle United legend and erstwhile under-23 team coach Peter Beardsley is banned from football for eight months by the FA for the use of racially abusive language towards players under his charge.

You can read Beardsley's defiant response here: Peter Beardsley handed eight-month ban by FA - read the full transcript of his statement. The mixture of self-pity and contempt for the verdict are worthy of a politician.

A thoroughly depressing story, this. Some good people have leaped to Beardsley's defence. I've read and heard sundry anecdotes of him being a model teammate, especially sympathetic to young team mates, as well as generous and kind towards fans. On the other hand, this was his second stint as NUFC reserves coach, and the first ended with him being discreetly eased out of his role after being cleared of racially aggravated bullying. The things he has been found guilty of saying revolt me. They are the words of a narrow-minded bigot. I won't repeat them, but Craig Hope of the Daily Mail, a Newcastle fan himself, has reported them if you really care to seek them out.

What's fascinating here, and bitterly amusing, is the line 'Surprisingly, Newcastle United did not provide the relevant training and education for Peter.'

Mike Ashley neglecting his staff? Mike Ashley showing no interest in corporate responsibility? Mike Ashley refusing to invest in people? Whoever would have thought it?

Just about everyone who knows about how Mike Ashley does business, that's who.

Not only did Beardsley return to work for NUFC under Ashley, but he publicly defended the man, to the disgust of many who'd revered him as a player. He came across as a time-server, despite the abundant evidence that if there's one type of person Ashley hates more than those who oppose him, it's those whose loyalty he can buy.

What a player Peter Beardsley was: an artist who worked like a journeyman, a host in himself who played selflessly for the team - quick in thought, movement and execution. Glorious close control, marvellous vision, genuinely two-footed, a dribbler or passer who could shoot with power or placement at distance. Many Geordies of my generation would declare him the best footballer they've seen wearing the black and white stripes, surpassing even Shearer.

A hero on the football field, but off it a human being, and human beings carry failings. As he deserves praise for the joy he's brought, so Beardsley cannot now be defended for his squalid behaviour.

When Steve Bruce was appointed, the Newcastle-supporting journalist George Caulkin lamented, 'Mike Ashley's regime chews up good people'. Mike Ashley isn't responsible for this - nobody forced Beardsley to say what he did. And in light of what he said, calling Beardsley 'good' would feel a hell of a stretch. It was, however, on Ashley's watch that a man who'd demonstrated no especial aptitude for coaching, who had hanging over him an unpleasant murk, was brought back to the club, seemingly as a reward for being a sycophant. I'll freely confess to my bias. Still, it's hard to escape the feeling that at Newcastle United, every current washes back into the same polluted waters.

My apologies if I've missed them, but curious your take on Owen's comments whilst making the rounds as well as his time with Newcastle.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not trying to bash United, but I gotta admit I am quite shocked that de Gea decided to stay with that mess.

He'll be sacked in December
I've been a fan of Kroenke-owned sports teams for as long as I can remember. Not that I went out of my way to choose them, but more of a pure coincidence and let me say that as long as I can remember his teams have never fired managers, coaches, or staff in the middle of seasons...like ever. I am not a Rapids fans, but I think the only time his sports teams fired someone at any part of the season was when they were on the bottom of the MLS and were by far the worst team in their division.

Hilarious coming from a fan of a club who is the definition of prostitution concerning managers.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
My apologies if I've missed them, but curious your take on Owen's comments whilst making the rounds as well as his time with Newcastle.

Luke Edwards of the Daily Telegraph, who worked for the Newcastle Journal in 2008-9, tellingly pointed out that while it had been common knowledge within football that Shearer wasn't happy with Owen, Shearer never went public. But Owen has a book to sell, and a shortfall of integrity. Note his body language during moments in the interview when he falls silent - once biting his nails, another time inspecting them. Hardly indicative of a man at ease with himself and the purported truth he's peddling.

The contempt his book expresses for Newcastle United and the city it represents is no revelation - from the first there was a sense he'd only come because Liverpool didn't want him. But if you want a notion of his reliability as a witness, consider his comments about how uncomfortable he, with his strong affection for Liverpool, felt in 2009 about having a choice of whether to sign for Everton or Manchester United. In fact, Owen is famously a boyhood Everton fan. He chose Manchester United for ambition, just as he left Liverpool in 2004 because he thought he'd outgrown them. There's nothing wrong with looking out for yourself first - until you try and pull on people's heart strings to look like the good guy.

On twitter, Owen accused Shearer of wanting to leave Newcastle for Liverpool when Bobby Robson was manager. The exact opposite was true - as far back as 2004 it was being reported that in the summer of 2003 Robson had wanted to move out the then 33-year old Shearer and build his attack around Emile Mpenza (that he was thwarted, and Shearer scored 22 EPL goals in 03/04, is one of many examples of Robson being saved from his own erratic instincts). Embarrassingly, plenty of journalists who covered the club around then corrected Owen (not that the correction achieved as much attention as Owen's initial untruth).

Owen objected to Shearer supposedly taking his comments about not enjoying his last six or seven years in football out of context. I think the justice of Shearer's response to that self-pitying quote is borne out by Owen's overcompensatory remarks in the interview you've linked about how many marvellous memories he had of his years at Old Trafford. There he scored 17 goals in 52 games over three years - a lesser appearance and strike rate than the spell on Tyneside that he regrets so much.

As to the 'Shearer blames me for Newcastle's relegation' bleat - Owen plays loose with the facts. As he tells it, you'd think Shearer was trying to rush him back from a long absence to save him. The reality is that Owen played in the first six of Shearer's eight game in charge, scoring a grand total of zero goals. Five of those were starts, and he played every single minute of four. It was before the seventh game, Fulham at home, that, according to Newcastle's then physiotherapist Paul Ferris, Owen complained of "feeling his groin". After a scan showed no muscle tear, Owen said, "What if I rip my groin on Saturday? I'll not get a contract at another club if I'm injured."

An ironic comment in itself when you remember that Real Madrid signed Jonathan Woodgate to accompany Owen to Spain while injured. But I digress. More pertinently, Paul Ferris is a qualified barrister, and Michael Owen has never sued him for libel. Ferris, himself a highly-rated teenage striker whose career was ruined by injury, writes positively about Owen as a person and professional. He empathises with Owen's fears on that occasion, but the undertone of disappointment is palpable.

If you care to contrast, in 1997, approaching his 27th birthday, about to lead his childhood club into their first ever European Cup campaign and captain his country in a World Cup finals, Alan Shearer simultaneously broke his right leg and dislocated the ankle. His foot was hanging loose, and pointing at six o'clock instead of twelve. The diagnosis was he'd be out for nine months; Shearer returned in five and a half. If anything, his haste to bail out a struggling NUFC probably came at a cost to his general conditioning. It wasn't until four years later, following international retirement and three operations to cure tendinitis of the knee, that Shearer ceased to struggle with injuries. His pace was gone. But he adapted. Owen, a boy wonder at the age of 17, retired aged 33. Shearer, who at 17 became the youngest player to score a top-flight hat-trick in England, underwent surgery more than 15 times during his career, but retired at 35 second only to Jimmy Greaves as the English elite division's leading goalscorer since the Second World War.

My perspective on Owen's actual play at Newcastle is a minority one - he wasn't quite the disaster he was portrayed to be with hindsight following the bitterness of relegation. In the first half of 2005-6, Newcastle only scored two goals from open play with him off the field. In 2007-8 his goals helped Kevin Keegan's side achieve the late run of wins that helped them avoid relegation.

The problem was that once he lost a gear following that knee injury prior to the 2006 World Cup the limitations of his game were laid bare. A club record signing, earning £120,000 a week (50% more than NUFC's best-paid player earns today), went from being an outstanding player to a merely good one. And since he was playing for a declining power, apart from a double against sunderland in the Tyne-Wear derby, none of his goals provided especially memorable highs. Compare with Tino Asprilla, an signing who wasn't notably successful, but whose hat-trick against Barcelona in the Champions League casts all his failings into the shadows.

Owen never wanted to be at Newcastle in the first place, and even when he was at Liverpool there were plenty fans felt he put country before club. He says he's shy, but crucially not in a way that comes across sympathetically - he's always exuded calculation and a sense of being enclosed, to which he's now added a sense of sitting miserably on his vast fortune nursing grudges. So when, having used NUFC during his playing career he uses the club again to help flog his book, and spouts a heap of inconsistencies and worse, to my mind the abuse many other Geordies have long given him has now been earned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad