Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I think this was from an Ornstein article.

Also are we OK with posting summaries on The Athletic articles? I'm not sure if it will get HFBoards in trouble since they're under a pay wall.

A brief summary from The Athletic article:
  • Unai was always intended to be a bridge and a pragmatic manager: "Gazidis and his executive team also identified Emery as a potential ferryman to see Arsenal through the treacherous transitional waters, stirred up by the last few years of Wenger’s reign. [...] Arteta was the front-runner for the job, before Gazidis had a late change of heart. Succeeding Wenger was long talked of as a potential poisoned chalice, and it seemed Arsenal’s chief executive was reluctant to drop a first-time manager into an undeniably difficult job. "
  • Unai is unloved because his football is not fun to watch: "Emery’s tactical approach manages to be modern without being exciting."
  • No pressing drills in training, despite being a public advocate.
  • We used to have scout-team matches v. U-23s - these were popular, but they stopped never to return last year.
  • Unai's communication may be a problem. This is less about his limited English and more about the message he conveys.
  • Some of Unai's methods, particularly the focus on video analysis, turns off some players.
  • Key take away: "If Emery was identified as a transitional coach, then in some ways his purpose has already been served. In his time in charge has overseen a huge churn in personnel: Arsenal have sold off much of the deadwood, and begun to bring academy players through. The executive team and the backroom staff have undergone significant restructuring. It might not feel like the team is progressing, but the club is evolving."
Essentially, Unai was always meant to be a transitional manager. His tactics and play style have not endeared himself to the fans, but he remains popular among the players. Some of his training tactics are questionable.

I wonder who will be lined up to be his replacement for next year. I don't see him lasting beyond this year.

Could even end up having Ljungberg as caretaker for the rest of the year if things don't change.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Looks like John Stones is going to be out for about 5 weeks.

Will be interesting to see what the plan is for City now Otomendi is the only experienced 1st team CB.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Marcelino is available, as is Blanc. Both would be great choices.

Also City down to 1 CB makes me feel a lot better about Liverpool's chances, but injuries are a ***** and Liverpool aren't immune to them either. Hopefully teams take advantage of this for now though.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think this was from an Ornstein article.

Also are we OK with posting summaries on The Athletic articles? I'm not sure if it will get HFBoards in trouble since they're under a pay wall.

A brief summary from The Athletic article:
  • Unai was always intended to be a bridge and a pragmatic manager: "Gazidis and his executive team also identified Emery as a potential ferryman to see Arsenal through the treacherous transitional waters, stirred up by the last few years of Wenger’s reign. [...] Arteta was the front-runner for the job, before Gazidis had a late change of heart. Succeeding Wenger was long talked of as a potential poisoned chalice, and it seemed Arsenal’s chief executive was reluctant to drop a first-time manager into an undeniably difficult job. "
  • Unai is unloved because his football is not fun to watch: "Emery’s tactical approach manages to be modern without being exciting."
  • No pressing drills in training, despite being a public advocate.
  • We used to have scout-team matches v. U-23s - these were popular, but they stopped never to return last year.
  • Unai's communication may be a problem. This is less about his limited English and more about the message he conveys.
  • Some of Unai's methods, particularly the focus on video analysis, turns off some players.
  • Key take away: "If Emery was identified as a transitional coach, then in some ways his purpose has already been served. In his time in charge has overseen a huge churn in personnel: Arsenal have sold off much of the deadwood, and begun to bring academy players through. The executive team and the backroom staff have undergone significant restructuring. It might not feel like the team is progressing, but the club is evolving."
Essentially, Unai was always meant to be a transitional manager. His tactics and play style have not endeared himself to the fans, but he remains popular among the players. Some of his training tactics are questionable.

I wonder who will be lined up to be his replacement for next year. I don't see him lasting beyond this year.

Could even end up having Ljungberg as caretaker for the rest of the year if things don't change.
He'll be sacked in December

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Transition to what?

They wanted someone that can "convey" an uninspiring message for a couple of years? Seems like a decent way of describing Wenger's last years at Arsenal.

I am not a huge fan of Emery, but similar to the situation at Utd so much is/was wrong it will take time to fix it. Obviously won't ever be fixed if the wrong person is asked to do so, but a bit early to tell in both cases.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Another reason Pulisic has been squeezed out:

40bius8a2dn31.jpg

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's really good, I am surprised how well he is playing. Did he play at this level in the Championship?
Yes, and another thing, he played for Lampard at Derby last year. He knows what Lampard wants and Lampard knows he can execute and trust him. Pulisic is learning a new league and a new manager, and due to the Gold Cup, he had a bit of a late start at Chelsea.

Once all the Cup matches start, Pulisic will get plenty of playing time.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yes, and another thing, he played for Lampard at Derby last year. He knows what Lampard wants and Lampard knows he can execute and trust him. Pulisic is learning a new league and a new manager, and due to the Gold Cup, he had a bit of a late start at Chelsea.

Once all the Cup matches start, Pulisic will get plenty of playing time.
I don't see how he gets much time when Mount is playing this well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad