Premier League 2017-2018

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sure, if we take out everything else said and isolate one part of one sentence in a discussion about a player we can make it look like someone said anything, I guess.

Come on. Where did I misrepresent what you said?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Have a question maybe you guys can help me with. I'm planning on flying out to London sometime early 2018, then potentially heading up to Liverpool to catch another match at Anfield.

I checked the 2018 schedule, and all the games are listed as Saturday lunchtime kickoffs. My question is, are these scheduled games essentially just placeholders before they're moved around based on TV alottment, etc? Can't imagine all the matches are scheduled the same day, right?

You are going to be at the mercy of the networks. Choose wisely.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yes, they all change. They move them something like one or two months before the game, based on European participation for some weeks and things of that nature.

Correct. Nightmare for fans.

I do understand that it probably can´t be as rigid as for example the NHL schedule, but quite ridiculous how they move games around.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Correct. Nightmare for fans.

I do understand that it probably can´t be as rigid as for example the NHL schedule, but quite ridiculous how they move games around.

Yeah, it's like college football. Sometimes you won't know the game time until the week of, and with most college towns, it can require a 2+ hour drive for a lot of fans.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Come on. Where did I misrepresent what you said?

I used a qualifier that Mignolet has not yet met. The level he was playing at last season was absolutely at the level of the top keepers in the league and not only did the eye test support it, but basically every statistical measure did also. He won games for Liverpool and had none of the liability that he has had in previous seasons.

With that said I didn't outright say he's as good as they are. I said IF he can continue with that, remain confident and focused, he'd be right up there with them.

Any keeper, or player really, can have a great streak or stretch. The thing that really separates the elite from just being 'great' or 'very good' is consistency.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I included your qualifier in my reply. I didn't bother to repeat that in my second reply to the other poster since my first reply could be seen just a few posts earlier. If anything he/she would be the one trying to sensationalize/misrepresent things - not me (at least not this time - I'm guilty of being a bit quick myself occasionally of course).

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Xhaka and Seo we're wonderful.

Xhaka took 4-5months to adopt to BPL but now he's very very very good.

Chelsea without Hazard are garbage.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Xhaka and Seo we're wonderful.

Xhaka took 4-5months to adopt to BPL but now he's very very very good.

Chelsea without Hazard are garbage.

Definitely we are.

Our weaknesses are clear. Blessing in disguise loss.. these last two to arsenal. Red cards in both, both losses

Still will finish ahead of arsenal in standings, but we need improvements clearly

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Definitely we are.

Our weaknesses are clear. Blessing in disguise loss.. these last two to arsenal. Red cards in both, both losses

Still will finish ahead of arsenal in standings, but we need improvements clearly[/QUOTE]

We'll see but Arsenal will be focusing only for League, gonna be closer than last season.

Well play Youngsters and 2nd team in Europe plus League Cup.

I think City or United will finish 1-2...but 3-4-5-6 is tough to know.

Good season ahead with so many ??? around the TOP 6.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You know I didn't watch the Sevilla game so I can't comment on that, but Xhaka so far in the rest of the preseason friendlies has been utterly superb. Not only that, but showed more of his talent than any time last year, especially his long shot capability which Arsenal has sorely lacked. I will say that I am more inclined to buy a Xhaka kit at the moment over an Alexis and this is with Sanchez even staying for the next full year.

Ox also abused Chelsea's left-hand side, it's not the end of the world if we do decide to sell him, but he's been quite good in the preseason as well (which is a good sign I hope).

One aspect Arsenal is really lacking which I've seen under Lacazette is a CAM who can link up the midfield with the strikers and wingers. With Giroud, they normally kick long balls where he holds up the play. It works, but Giroud in the box is not consistent enough to be a CL starting striker. With Lacazette, as LITN explained he's like Aguero who relies on running, consistent scoring, and superb technical skills. One problem with Alexandre though is he is NOT nearly as fast as Aguero thus will never reach his talent in what I've seen so far.

Now back to the CAM, Ozil can most definitely do this as he has the talent, but I suggest you need a hard working CAM who has an engine, but the technical skill as well. Someone like Isco for instance (if we disregard unavailable players like Modric/Silva) would have been perfect partner for Lacazette.

E: That was a wonderfully reffed and entertaining game. Morata sucks, if there is a player who can bust in the future he would be on the top of my list.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's a meaningless trophy, whether you win or lose it, I just hope the game sent a message to the board to buy some quality and some depth.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Morata sucks because of bad finishing as a substitute in one game...his first 'competitive' one for Chelsea :huh: ? I hope you don't do your prospect scouting using that philosophy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It is a meaningless trophy, but it's also one you would like to win so lets not discredit it entirely.

I'm not saying it's completely nothing, but it's a glorified pre-season match. Arsenal have won 3 of the past 4, it really doesn't mean much of anything. Ox always seems to play well in them against Chelsea though, still remember that goal from 2015.

That match did highlight to concerns with Chelsea though, that many have said. They need depth first and foremost, another CM that can play against the big teams and not be exposed defensively, 2 additional wing-backs, and while we'll always be pretty reliant on Hazard, we need to find a piece in the front 3 that can reasonably replace him when he is out. Willian and Pedro are good robin's to Hazard's batman, but we need something better there if Hazard ever gets hurt or is in poor form.

Morata will be fine, but he still needs some time to adapt. Really wish our board would've been more aggressive early so the new players could adapt, but I just hope that they realize that they need more players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Morata sucks because of bad finishing as a substitute in one game...his first 'competitive' one for Chelsea :huh: ? I hope you don't do your prospect scouting using that philosophy.

I've always thought that of Morata like I have always thought that Pedro was nothing special. I'm not judging a player based on one game as a substitute.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Xhaka just may become our most indespensible player his season. He's a beauty to watch when he keeps his emotions in check and his body moving. Really think that first six months was adapting. Guys got an iron will on the field too. Same with Kolasnic, that is one physically strong and impressive guy.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
This is going to be an interesting EPL season. Tbh I have no idea who's going to win.

Logically Man City should be #1 favorites. They fixed their full back problems, on paper, but they still have question marks at the CB position and in midfield IMO.

Chelsea lacks depth and didn't fill their more pressing needs. I'm not sure Morata + Bakayoko is better than Costa + Matic. I don't think they'll repeat.

I like Man Utd's chancea a lot. Still some question marks on defense IMO, and that LW position may end up being a problem for them.

Liverpool and Tottenham don't have enough depth IMO to compete on 2 major fronts. At least one will miss out on top 4, if not both. I'm surprised with their lack of activity, it's worse for Tottenham though.

Regarding Arsenal, we'll see what happens with Alexis, I feel he's staying. They won't win the EPL, but they have a good chance to finish top 3 IMO if they stay healthy.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I like Man Utd's chancea a lot. Still some question marks on defense IMO, and that LW position may end up being a problem for them.

I'm very curious to see how they do in the Super Cup tomorrow night. Should be a kind of "real" test for them... :naughty:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
That match did highlight to concerns with Chelsea though, that many have said. They need depth first and foremost, another CM that can play against the big teams and not be exposed defensively, 2 additional wing-backs, and while we'll always be pretty reliant on Hazard, we need to find a piece in the front 3 that can reasonably replace him when he is out. Willian and Pedro are good robin's to Hazard's batman, but we need something better there if Hazard ever gets hurt or is in poor form.

If money is tight as it seems to be on the transfer front now for Chelsea, I'm not quite sure why they don't just bring in a few guys in on loan. Can't blame that on a tight purse, their board is just strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad