Premier League 2017-2018

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
To be fair, fatigue is a lot different when you're out of Europe and after the winter blitz of games

Spurs played in Europe until the end of February. They were in the FA cup until the semi's.

Basically every player in the starting line-up plays regularly for their national team.

Fatigue has nothing to do with losing to Monaco on the 14th of September. No player is already getting tired after 2-3 months like when Spurs played their worst football during that season. Fatigue hits you due to playing too much over time. And normally that means fizzling out at the end of the season - which the Spurs players didn't (some argue they did the year before when the last four league games got them only 2 points).

Realistically Spurs won't play in Europe much later than February anyway. So don't see the big difference from last season in that respect. Can the squad handle 5-6 matches more during the spring? Don't know.

Mar 1, 2002
https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnati...ew-stadium-safe-standing-hardware-south-stand

Standing terraces have been outlawed at major English football stadiums since the early 1990s in the wake of the Hillsborough disaster, much to the chagrin of many football fans who pine for the old days. Football stadiums are now by law “all-seaters,†which some argue diminish the atmosphere at grounds and also significantly reduce attendance numbers and income from tickets.

Tottenham Hotspur are building their new ground with that future law change in mind. A photo of safe standing terrace equipment installed at the new Spurs stadium was photographed and posted on Twitter yesterday, leading some to speculate that Spurs would be willing to consider standing terraces should the law allow it.

Tottenham responded to the above tweet with a tweet of its own, saying that it is “trialing†safe standing hardware, but also implying that the stadium will be constructed so that rail seating can be installed in the future, what they called “future proofing.â€

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Spurs played in Europe until the end of February. They were in the FA cup until the semi's.

Basically every player in the starting line-up plays regularly for their national team.

Fatigue has nothing to do with losing to Monaco on the 14th of September. No player is already getting tired after 2-3 months like when Spurs played their worst football during that season. Fatigue hits you due to playing too much over time. And normally that means fizzling out at the end of the season - which the Spurs players didn't (some argue they did the year before when the last four league games got them only 2 points).

Realistically Spurs won't play in Europe much later than February anyway. So don't see the big difference from last season in that respect. Can the squad handle 5-6 matches more during the spring? Don't know.

I think the argument is that the Spurs lack of depth will hurt them in the winter busy period. Essentially, they were less fatigued as the season went on because the season, for them, was less busy. Yes they were in the FA Cup until the semis but by that point, it's really not that much of a constant hassle.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think the argument is that the Spurs lack of depth will hurt them in the winter busy period. Essentially, they were less fatigued as the season went on because the season, for them, was less busy. Yes they were in the FA Cup until the semis but by that point, it's really not that much of a constant hassle.

I´m not sure when the busy winter period started (in your view), but when exactly did Spurs struggle? They won all 3 games during Christmas. The only bad spell Spurs had were in October (in terms of the league).

This idea that a fatigued squad can recover come March after being fatigued (which they never were) is also quite odd. If you have been pushing yourself too hard from September until end of February you aren´t just going to recover in a week or two just because you got less mid week games in March. Just not how the human body works.

Not saying depth isn´t important and Spurs did run out a gas somewhat the year before, but last season they didn´t and it had certainly nothing to do with them not winning the league and/or not being very successful in Europe.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I´m not sure when the busy winter period started (in your view), but when exactly did Spurs struggle? They won all 3 games during Christmas. The only bad spell Spurs had were in October (in terms of the league).

This idea that a fatigued squad can recover come March after being fatigued (which they never were) is also quite odd. If you have been pushing yourself too hard from September until end of February you aren´t just going to recover in a week or two just because you got less mid week games in March. Just not how the human body works.

Not saying depth isn´t important and Spurs did run out a gas somewhat the year before, but last season they didn´t and it had certainly nothing to do with them not winning the league and/or not being very successful in Europe.

I take it you missed that I'm talking about the upcoming year.

That actually is how the body works in my experience. :dunno:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I take it you missed that I'm talking about the upcoming year.

That actually is how the body works in my experience. :dunno:

But if it didn´t last year why should it this year?

If we are talking about the upcoming season as something unique that can´t be discussed based on previous season - then you are right - I missed it.

So what is the point of depth then? Your team gets fatigued. You rest those players for 1 week (or so) and they are apparently good to go again. Don´t know what to say. Fatigue is different than being tired.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
But if it didn´t last year why should it this year?

If we are talking about the upcoming season as something unique that can´t be discussed based on previous season - then you are right - I missed it.

So what is the point of depth then? Your team gets fatigued. You rest those players for 1 week (or so) and they are apparently good to go again. Don´t know what to say. Fatigue is different than being tired.

Well apparently fatigue just constantly builds up so maybe this year will be worse. :laugh:

Well I would think teams play Tottenham differently in the league this year at the start compared to last year plus I would imagine Tottenham might want to make it out of their group in CL and win a cup. I could be wrong.

Uh, yeah. That's the whole point of being able to rotate players. Congrats you figured it out.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Haha. You are trying hard. Summer break is longer than 1 week isn't it?

Yes. Because they didn't go through the group stages because the fatigue they suffered in September. Sorry the fatigue they will suffer this September since history is irrelevant. At least I'm learning.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Haha. You are trying hard. Summer break is longer than 1 week isn't it?

Yes. Because they didn't go through the group stages because the fatigue they suffered in September. Sorry the fatigue they will suffer this September since history is irrelevant. At least I'm learning.

Are you intentionally being obtuse or are you actually just not getting what I'm saying?

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Fellaini to Gala done.

United must have a deal in place for a central midfielder to let Fellaini go.

Dumb move to sell. Even if there's a new signing, Fellaini is versatile enough to have a spot on the team. We're paper thin at CM as is.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Phil Jones suspended 2 matches for "abusing" a drug tester over an argument directly after United's win over Ajax. Supposedly he and Blind wanted to take the team photo and spray some champagne first, but the doping officer demanded the test be taken right after the match ended.

That's he and Bailly now suspended for the CL opener.

oilers92

Jan 26, 2010
Edmonton
Phil Jones suspended 2 matches for "abusing" a drug tester over an argument directly after United's win over Ajax. Supposedly he and Blind wanted to take the team photo and spray some champagne first, but the doping officer demanded the test be taken right after the match ended.

That's he and Bailly now suspended for the CL opener.

the photo he was pissed about was the one they took with the Manchester a city united banner, how any drug officer thought not letting a player who didn't even play not take that is beyond me.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
the photo he was pissed about was the one they took with the Manchester a city united banner, how any drug officer thought not letting a player who didn't even play not take that is beyond me.

Yup. If that's the true story, in the context of the events around then, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Remy is still on Chelsea surprisingly. Probably don't need him anymore even if Costa leaves this window, he's been rumoured as a Newcastle target.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Alexis training in London with Arsenal gear. Looks like he'll be staying for the season.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I have a weird feeling Dele is going to struggle this year.

Most Spurs-fans I know "in real life" are generally far too optimistic on behalf of the team. I don´t know how many years in the 00s we were just a left winger from challenging for the title. However, online I find most Spurs-fans depressingly pessimistic (not all of course).

Alli doesn´t worry me. Mentally he seems to be exceptionally strong. He won´t score 18 goals every year though - that is basically impossible. His overall play should still be getting better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->