Premier League 2017-2018

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
With the schedule set to come out tomorrow, may as well start a new thread.

Plus, this.

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...ks-arm-south-korea-world-cup-qualifying-qatar

International football is bad. Even in the offseason summer months all it usually does is break up the vacations of your club’s players at a time when they should be resting. During the year, at best you end up with players that return to their clubs tired, and at worst they come back injured.

That’s exactly what happened to Tottenham Hotspur’s Son Heung-Min, who broke his forearm after an arial challenge of the ball in the midst of a 3-2 World Cup qualifying loss to Qatar.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
First game at Wembley against Chelsea. Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal within 11 days. **** that schedule.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-premier-league/story/3140346/premier-league-fixtures-2017-18

opening week

Saturday, August 12, 2017
Arsenal v Leicester City
Brighton and Hove Albion v Manchester City
Chelsea v Burnley
Crystal Palace v Huddersfield Town
Everton v Stoke City
Manchester United v West Ham United
Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
Southampton v Swansea City
Watford v Liverpool
West Bromwich Albion v Bournemouth

Newcastle starting their new time in the Premier League with the team they ended their prior Premier League run with.

Hopefully the result is similar.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Ill take Watford away as the opening fixture. They will be under a different manager, though Silva is good. Tough stretch after that.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Glad we get our disappointment in Stoke out early. At least it won't be a cold rainy night in Stoke.

In theory, Arsenal's schedule doesn't look too terrible. Chelsea and ManU are short rest games during the November-January period but they're preceded by West Brom and Huddersfield respectively. That should be manageable. Interestingly, we play Tottenham/City back to back in both halves of the schedule, but each has a week off in between.

Looking at the end of the schedule, if Arsenal is in a title race, they really only have ManU down the back stretch.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
LFC's schedule in 2018 isn't bad but there are some very rough stretches in the first half of the fixtures.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Puel leaves Southampton. I'm quite surprised. He finished decently in league and reached a cup final.
Anyone can tell me what went wrong? He seems like a great fit : he's at his best with young players and not with big egos. He usually makes those young teams overachieve.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Supporters complaining about the style of play. While it did get results, it was very negative. In their last five games at home they didn't score. They also had a very hard time scoring once they lost van Dijk's buildup play and long passing (which is part of why the rumored fees for him are so high).

They also went out of Europe in a group they should have qualified from, with Sparta Prague and Hapoel advancing over them.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
Puel leaves Southampton. I'm quite surprised. He finished decently in league and reached a cup final.
Anyone can tell me what went wrong? He seems like a great fit : he's at his best with young players and not with big egos. He usually makes those young teams overachieve.

I don't have the table in front of me, but I believe that they finished 17 or 18 points worse off compared to the season for. So despite the 8th place finish, they didn't perform as well.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Chelsea-Pool will have a tougher time with Champs League.

I expect Tottenham or ****** to win the title

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't have the table in front of me, but I believe that they finished 17 or 18 points worse off compared to the season for. So despite the 8th place finish, they didn't perform as well.

Don't think league position had much to do with it.

Puel acted as the Grinch of football. Unbelievably boring to watch. Not sure how you can keep a team motivated long term being that defensive and destructive every single week.

A bit surprised. I like Puel from my time living in France. Didn't expect Bielsa, but didn't expect it to be this bad either.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Business as usual for us. Puel is a strong defensive coach, like most here. This is exactly what I was talking about when I said most L1 teams play behind the ball.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Even if things have gone well lately for Spurs I am not optimistic for next season at all. The loss of WHL is immense. Don't expect Wembley to have a good atmosphere, and the larger pitch makes our pressing game much harder. And on top of that those ****ing *******s schedule us to play Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U in 11 days.

As much as i hate to admit it, I wouldn't be surprised if an exodus happens next summer.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Even if things have gone well lately for Spurs I am not optimistic for next season at all. The loss of WHL is immense. Don't expect Wembley to have a good atmosphere, and the larger pitch makes our pressing game much harder. And on top of that those ****ing *******s schedule us to play Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U in 11 days.

As much as i hate to admit it, I wouldn't be surprised if an exodus happens next summer.

And a larger pitch makes it easier to break down "lesser" teams. Of course hard to copy this season, but that would have been the case even if Spurs had stayed at WHL.

99% certain Wembley will be an issue though. Top 4 would be immense.

Also hate the pitch at Wembley. Soft. Slows things down and tires players. Fatigue and injuries will be a bigger issue than the size of the pitch in my opinion.

As for when you play the tougher games - could not care less. Any "science"/statistics that suggest that when you play teams will influence the final standings?

Exoduses just don´t happen. Didn´t happen for Leicester. Hasn´t happened for AM even if they can´t compete at all financially. Probably won´t happen for Monaco. Spurs will lose individual players again - sure, but even if Pochettino leaves there won´t be any "exodus".

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
As for when you play the tougher games - could not care less. Any "science"/statistics that suggest that when you play teams will influence the final standings?

You don't think fatigue will be a factor when we need to not only play our best XI, but also work harder when we play these teams that we are competing with for the top spots?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You don't think fatigue will be a factor when we need to not only play our best XI, but also work harder when we play these teams that we are competing with for the top spots?

I might be wrong. I just find it strange that pundits etc. often talk about this, but with all the stats you get through for example OPTA I have still yet to see anyone showing that teams run less, sprint less etc. at the end of tough periods. Sure - in the Christmas period when there isn´t sufficient time to recover for anyone, but that is not the same as to say you run so much more against a team like Arsenal that it will influence what happens 3-4 maybe even 7 days later.

It would be great if someone had access to OPTA. On average in the "big games" how much longer do players run? If anything at all. Personally I would be quite surprised if we are talking about more than a couple of hundred meters extra (and probably more sprints). Of course I do get surprised from time to time :D

I know Spurs monitor everything. Pochettino has even mentioned it himself. Liverpool has also publicly said the same thing (I´m sure most clubs do). Science won´t guarantee you that fatigue doesn´t become an issue for certain players, but I don´t think we are likely to see whole teams "collapse" any more. If so that would be more a mental issue than physical fatigue. Of course if they see after the second match in a tough period that many will need to rest for the third you would be right in saying the schedule is unfortunate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->