Friedman: Preds only untouchables are Josi, Ellis and Rinne

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Pittsburgh had two generational centers which allowed them to get by without an elite D group so they aren't really the best comparable.

That’s certainly an opinion, but most will tell you there is a lot of luck involved regardless. Our D is better than it has been in years, and can still use improvement, and we’re still offensively better than the teams you listed. As long as our goaltender doesn’t lay an egg (which he admittedly has in game 7’s) we had as much a chance - with some luck- as anybody.

Reactions: Richard88

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Mantha seems pretty checked out on losing. I don't know that he makes it through this rebuild anyway. Maybe they'll hold out for some futures to compensate for age.

That being said Red Wings are clearing 2 mil in cap so that could be the balancer.

Then he's not going to like coming to Nashville rn. :laugh:

But seriously, I'd think about that one.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
There is no point in having untouchables if you're not in it to win it. You either go all in or you start a rebuild. If you want to start a full rebuild, then sell off as many assets as possible and gain as many draft picks in return.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
There is no point in having untouchables if you're not in it to win it. You either go all in or you start a rebuild. If you want to start a full rebuild, then sell off as many assets as possible and gain as many draft picks in return.

All our "untouchables" have NMC/NTC clauses, except Ellis, who's contract is large enough that he'll be here past our rebuild.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Just my $.02 but I think it's a bit silly to call for Nashville to basically go for a "scorched earth" rebuild... what was the last team to do that successfully, Washington in 04? (And they wound up having a generational goal scorer/all time great to build around)

Better to do it more like the Rangers imo. Yes, they sold aggressively, but they also retained pieces like Hayes to sell off later. There's no law that you have to sell every valuable piece *right now*, and you can hang on to a guy like Josi to insulate/mentor the kids... I mean, I get the argument that you can theoretically get a haul for them, but realistically, most trade scenarios involve playoff teams & contenders dealing low firsts and B prospects

In fact, I'd argue the primary purpose to sell off prime assets is to bottom out, with the hope that throwing a few extra darts at the draft board pan out. Not a guarantee though

And given Nashville seems to be bottoming out *with* these players, I'm just not sure an "everything must go" fire sale is entirely compelling

Sorry for the rant, I just see that argument a lot here and it can rub me the wrong way. There's more to rebuilding than just accumulating as many shiny pieces as possible imo

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I recall a lot of Shea Weber is untouchable comments a while ago..... Rinne will not be moved for what he has done for the organization. He has been the single most impactful player in Preds history. He will retire here and have the 35 lifted to the roof.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Just my $.02 but I think it's a bit silly to call for Nashville to basically go for a "scorched earth" rebuild... what was the last team to do that successfully, Washington in 04? (And they wound up having a generational goal scorer/all time great to build around)

Better to do it more like the Rangers imo. Yes, they sold aggressively, but they also retained pieces like Hayes to sell off later. There's no law that you have to sell every valuable piece *right now*, and you can hang on to a guy like Josi to insulate/mentor the kids... I mean, I get the argument that you can theoretically get a haul for them, but realistically, most trade scenarios involve playoff teams & contenders dealing low firsts and B prospects

In fact, I'd argue the primary purpose to sell off prime assets is to bottom out, with the hope that throwing a few extra darts at the draft board pan out. Not a guarantee though

And given Nashville seems to be bottoming out *with* these players, I'm just not sure an "everything must go" fire sale is entirely compelling

Sorry for the rant, I just see that argument a lot here and it can rub me the wrong way. There's more to rebuilding than just accumulating as many shiny pieces as possible imo
IMO in rebuilds you move the Josi's and Forsbergs, your stars, and keep other character players to teach youngsters. NY in your example moved McDonagh, their #1 dman.

I don't think scorched earth is ever the right idea but I also think you don't keep top 10 players at their position just so they can age out their years and either limit your tank or destroy their value.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Just because every body is "available" doesn't mean we're dealing all of them. I suspect we'll have quite a few vets still on the road after the deadline. We'll probably just deal Arvidsson, Ekholm and Granlund. Maybe some random bottom sixers, but that's about it.

Wait, does this mean Tomasino is available? If so, that is some bullshit.

They're probably not talking about players not currently on the roster.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Teams need a pillar in the lockerroom to give the room direction and stability. Trading everyone to load up on futures without regard for the team culture is how you end up in perpetual rebuild situations like Buffalo, Arizona, or Edmonton.

Josi is still young enough that he could be an important piece on the other side of a rebuild, just like Shea Weber in Montreal.
Why would you josi want to stick around for 10 yrs of losing? Its all fun for nashville but if im josi im not wasting my career for that hes still an elite dman

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Someone in Preds organization is sitting at home laughing loudly at Friedman. Rinne is untouchable in 2021? Yeah right.

Imagine present day Rinne being an "untouchable" let's hope for Preds fans sakes that Friedman is out to lunch here.

Yeah, that's strange. So, Saros is available?

Watched his last game, couldn't fault him for any goal. Mindful he's been in a slump, his career, his age, he's an RFA...and he's available while Rinne's protected?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ekholm and Forsberg.

Vancouver would have to send cap back (not all of it dumps), but whats the overall ask here? A first and a prospect for Forsberg, and what's the ask on Ekholm when he's healthy again?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Sorry, he's a defensive liability above second pair, maybe third pair.

He's not a shutdown defender, but he holds his own. There are some nights that he is the best defender on the team. He's a physical presence too despite his size, and is rarely a liability, certainly well above third pairing ability. Combined with his leadership qualities (associate Captain) and a guaranteed .5-.7 ppg offensive output, there's just no way to describe Ryan Ellis as bad.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Ekholm and Forsberg.

Vancouver would have to send cap back (not all of it dumps), but whats the overall ask here? A first and a prospect for Forsberg, and what's the ask on Ekholm when he's healthy again?

A 1st and a prospect for Ekholm. Forsberg's going to cost a lot.

I know he wasn't listed there and he'd fit great in Vancouver, but why would they trade him? I'd assume they ask Boeser+ at minimum, which I assume Nucks fans would be iffy (at best) on.

I don't know if Fabbro is worth that much.

Gaudette + 2nd 21

Fabbro

I think I'd want someone better than Gaudette coming back if we're moving Fabbro.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

I don't even know how you could properly blow that roster up. Who wants RyJo or Duchene? Going to be tough to get even ok value for a lot of Predators players.

Nobody in this thread is talking about either of them. Arvidsson, Ekholm have plenty of value and Granlund can get a decent return if he keeps playing well this year. Sissons and Jarnkrok are valuable enough for cap teams considering their contracts and versatility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad