Friedman: Preds only untouchables are Josi, Ellis and Rinne

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I know he wasn't listed there and he'd fit great in Vancouver, but why would they trade him? I'd assume they ask Boeser+ at minimum, which I assume Nucks fans would be iffy (at best) on.

Fabbro may continue to improve but as of right now no way should it cost Boeser let alone a + on top of it. Canucks need to keep Brock, the only top 6 F we should think of moving are Pearson- pending UFA Canucks need to get an asset back for him and Miller- Only trade him if you able to get a solid top 4 RHD back

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A 1st and a prospect for Ekholm. Forsberg's going to cost a lot.

Well how far off base was I with Forsberg?

Ekholm's value is what I thought Forsberg would be, I'm guessing due to a premium on defenders and his very affordable cap hit, but I definitely had Forsberg more lined up with major forwards moved recently like Stone, Pacioretty, O'Reilly, Miller, Hall, Pageau, Zucker, Hayes, Duchene, Kane, Statsny, Nash, Schenn, Tatar...Kapanen (sigh), etc. That's a wide spectrum, admittedly, but I wouldn't move Forsberg too far from the median here.

Ekholm's value I guess lines up, given the defenders moved for a first lately, like Montour, Trouba, Skjei, McDonagh, Hamonic, Muzzin, Shattenkirk, Karlsson to a much larger extent, although a good number of them had a lesser addition, or had another piece included with the Ekholm proxy. The first being the main piece seems to be the common thread between these trades.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Ekholm's value is what I thought Forsberg would be, I'm guessing due to a premium on defenders and his very affordable cap hit, but I definitely had Forsberg more lined up with major forwards moved recently like Stone, Pacioretty, O'Reilly, Miller, Hall, Pageau, Zucker, Hayes, Duchene, Kane, Statsny, Nash, Schenn, Tatar...Kapanen (sigh), etc. That's a wide spectrum, admittedly, but I wouldn't move Forsberg too far from the median here.

Ekholm's value I guess lines up, given the defenders moved for a first lately, like Montour, Trouba, Skjei, McDonagh, Hamonic, Muzzin, Shattenkirk, Karlsson to a much larger extent, although a good number of them had a lesser addition, or had another piece included with the Ekholm proxy. The first being the main piece seems to be the common thread between these trades.

If we're dealing Forsberg we'd need a great prospect or a really good young contributing NHLer.
1sts + and prospects are good, but we have players aside from Forsberg that can fetch that. Forsberg is worth more for us.

Ekholm's contract is going to be key to his price. He's a solid no.2-3 defenseman and is on a steal of a deal for a contending team.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If we're dealing Forsberg we'd need a great prospect or a really good young contributing NHLer.
1sts + and prospects are good, but we have players aside from Forsberg that can fetch that. Forsberg is worth more for us.

Ekholm's contract is going to be key to his price. He's a solid no.2-3 defenseman and is on a steal of a deal for a contending team.

There are other teams that can offer a near point per game forwards as well, especially for Forsberg's cap hit (not that it's bad, it's just not incredible). Maybe it's just situational for me though, as our forward prospects go Hoglander and Podkolzin and then Lind, Lockwood, Palmu or Focht, maybe? Or the usual Gaudette/Virtanen bit. If we move Hog/Pod for Forsberg, it has the potential really sting us, as one is ELC and the other hasn't even been able to sign with us yet, and we take on 6 million in cap for the same top six role. The other side of that is then, Nashville doesn't get a great prospect, and well things fall apart even quicker.

It's subjective, but I couldn't condone Hoglander or Podkolzin for Forsberg straight up, let alone with a 1st included, due to cap implications alone. There should be a line up around the block other then the Canucks fans that think like I do, so I know that isn't that negative a conclusion we've come to.

My only hesitation on Ekholms price is what he will be due when it's over. It's a great price, and the only negative thing I can say about it is that it's not long enough. If the rebuild lasts until the post season, or even the trade deadline, I hope we can revisit this. I just want a clearer picture of what will be happening with Edler (UFA at seasons end, wants to retire a Canuck...taking a bit of a dive when it comes to play so far this season) and Juolevi (a very, very pleasant surprise this season).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The Preds won't trade Forsberg. I mean, c'mon people you are all getting carried away by one piece of media innuendo. This is a giant nothingburger. The Preds won't be trading Fabbro either. Calm down.

If you want to make trade offers, make them for Granlund, Haula, and Richardson. And then you can take a stab at knocking our socks off on Ekholm, but that's about all there is worth talking about here. Nobody else is moving.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014

what do you mean lately, have you seen all the players on waivers and have you seen any movement other than dubois for laine, i sure havnt seen anything move unless its money in money out, and as far as players contracts going forward boy oh boy a lot of players are in for a surprise for sure, there is no revenues in the nhl, how are teams suppose to pay those salary of past contracts, and worse yet for future contracts, player are going to beg to sign anywhere on the cheap, mark my words a lot of teams are struggling, i hear the coyotes are on dire straights right now ready to fold...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He's not a shutdown defender, but he holds his own. There are some nights that he is the best defender on the team. He's a physical presence too despite his size, and is rarely a liability, certainly well above third pairing ability. Combined with his leadership qualities (associate Captain) and a guaranteed .5-.7 ppg offensive output, there's just no way to describe Ryan Ellis as bad.
I disagree with a lot of this. Ellis IS bad on defense, and does NOT hold his own. They pretend that he does, though. The best you can say about him is he TRIES. But often fails. When he TRIES to be physical, he gets bounced around and owned by most opposing forwards. He's still by no means a "bad player". He's still a net good player. Just drastically over-utilized by the Preds. And if he has such great leadership qualities, well, our team has been massively underperforming and looking lazy and unmotivated for a few years, and Ellis is one of the players who has consistently failed to show up when it mattered most. And even with all of that, he's STILL not a bad player. But in a few years he might be. And at $6.25M for a few years after that, we'll probably start to hate him with a passion.

That said, in the meantime, if you want a #3 small defenseman who pinches well and can contribute on the PP, Ellis is still a good player. He is not a good defensive zone player at all, but he is also not Andy Elmore bad or anything like that. If he was used as he should be, a 19-20 minute a night 2nd pair small D paired with a solid LD partner, who gets PP time, he would be useful to any team. Instead, the Preds treat him like a top-pairing stud, and that's a good part of the reason why we have struggled. He's a good player... but he's simply not THAT good.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Preds have a lot of long ass contracts. Obviously no good in covid times, but even after, not a lot of flexibility for roster shuffling.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
GTFO. Forsberg on your team would be a massive star player.

Forsberg had 48 points in 63 games last year.
Zucker had 41 points in 60 games last year, and has an extra year of cost-certainty.

Poulin is a recent 1st round pick.
A 1st is a 1st.

Disagreeing is fine, but I don't see how the Preds are getting hosed here if they wanted to keep a competitive roster rather than going with a totally futures-based deal.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Rinne- I guess if no one wants to touch you that makes you untouchable.
In a normal year, a team with a goalie injury or some goalie depth issues would still pay a late-round pick for Rinne as an insurance policy. He's still an NHL-calibre goalie, albeit not a starter. He whiffs on some pucks he should have. But is still a Vezina-winner who can mind the gap. But there is no way the Preds take a 4th or 5th round pick or whatever Rinne is worth. Just let him retire as a career-Pred with his jersey # retired and hoisted to the rafters, let him get into the hockey ops dept. if he wants to, any of that stuff is far more valuable than that late-round draft pick. He can still also perform adequately to be our backup goalie next season. There is no reason to take a market-value trade for Pekka Rinne for the Preds. That makes him "untouchable". Do you want to trade a 1st-round pick for Pekka Rinne? No, you don't. But that's the value it would take to beat out his organizational "legend" value. That's why they said he's "untouchable"

Reactions: Linear

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Forsberg had 48 points in 63 games last year.
Zucker had 41 points in 60 games last year, and has an extra year of cost-certainty.

Poulin is a recent 1st round pick.
A 1st is a 1st.

Disagreeing is fine, but I don't see how the Preds are getting hosed here if they wanted to keep a competitive roster rather than going with a totally futures-based deal.
You just haven't watched Forsberg play, that's all. The Preds would be getting massively hosed on this deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad