Speculation: Predicting where the top 50 free agents land

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The Leafs whom have the worst cap situation in the league are going to sign Petriangelo to what most likely will be a 10m+ contract in free agency?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It's opinion, really, and at the risk of nitpicking, but the Leafs are arguably #2 behind the Blues for worst cap situation.

St.Louis the entire issue is that any realistic solution to resigning Pietrangelo means getting less than full return for what will amount to salary dumps (perhaps Allen, Bozak, etc.). Considering Alex may be the most important player on the roster, it's a very tough situation.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Toronto has $4.6m in cap space for next season with only 16 players signed. Explain to me how they’re signing Pietrangelo to a $9m contract.
Didn't he mention moving Nylander?

If we strike out or can't afford the decent RDs that are available, maybe Demelo to the Buds.

That's a long list, so too much work for me. Someone else mentioned Hoffman to Nashville - sounded OK.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It's opinion, really, and at the risk of nitpicking, but the Leafs are arguably #2 behind the Blues for worst cap situation.

St.Louis the entire issue is that any realistic solution to resigning Pietrangelo means getting less than full return for what will amount to salary dumps (perhaps Allen, Bozak, etc.). Considering Alex may be the most important player on the roster, it's a very tough situation.
I'd throw TBL into the mix of worst situation - maybe at the top even.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'd definitely put Tampa before the Leafs. Leafs cap situation is bad, but wont be truly problematic until the 2021 offseason, and a new team will create more opportunities to make moves. Also, the Leafs' cap is tied up in great players with no movements protections (except for Tavares and Andersen). Toronto might (might being the operative word) have to make a move they don't want to, but they have flexibility to go for the most favourable deal.

Tampa basically has as much space as Toronto does, (Leafs - 76.9 mil for 16 guys vs Lightning - 76.1 mil for 15 guys), but unlike Toronto, they probably really want to keep all their notable free agents this offseason (Leafs - Mikheyev, Dermott, Ceci and Barrie vs Lightning - Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak). Also unlike Toronto, most of their big ticket players have or will have full NMCs or NTCs in their current contracts, which makes it much harder to make moves to clear cap space.

Reactions: matrixtrippin

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Pietrangelo - St. Louis - 8x$8M
Hall - Tampa Bay - 2x$5M/Nashville - 7x$8.5M (Depends on if he wants to contend or get the money)
Krug - Philadelphia - 7x6M
Markstrom - Vancouver - 6x6M
Byfuglien - Retired/Jets - 2x$1.5
Lehner - San Jose - 6x$7M
Hoffman - New Jersey - 6x$6M
Dadonov - New Jersey - 4x5.5M
Toffoli - Vancouver - 6x$5M
Barrie - Dallas - 7x$8M
Haula - Toronto - 3x$3.5M
Holtby - Buffalo - 7x$9M
Brodie - New Jersey - 6x$4.5M
Vatanen - Colorado - 4x$5.5M
Shattenkirk - Toronto - 4x$2.5M
Dillon - Los Angeles - 4x$4.5M
Tanev - Vancouver - 6x3.5M
Braun - Dallas -3x3M
Hamonic - Minnesota - 4x$2.5M
Edmundson - Los Angeles - 4x$3.5M
Crawford - Chicago - 2x$1.25M
Galchenyuk - Ottawa - 2x$2M
Kovalchuk - Montreal - 2x$1.5M
Pysyk - Montreal - 4x$3.5M
Eakin - Anaheim - 3x$1.5M
Schultz - Detroit - 3x$3.5M
Gudas - Edmonton - 2x$3M
TvR - Philadelphia - 3x$4M
Maroon - Tampa Bay - 2x$1.125M
Brassard - Vancouver - 3x$2.5M
Green - Washington - 2x$1.5M
DeMelo - Winnipeg - 3x$2M

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Why? We have Spurgeon and Dumba with term left, and Menell, Belpedio as AHL guys that are trying to step into the NHL. Addison is going to get a real shot next season as well. And Pateryn still has one year left.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Why? We have Spurgeon and Dumba with term left, and Menell, Belpedio as AHL guys that are trying to step into the NHL. Addison is going to get a real shot next season as well. And Pateryn still has one year left.

He wants to play close to home. He signs a cheap contract and will probably be willing to play whatever role he's given.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Hall - Tampa Bay - 2x$5M/Nashville - 7x$8.5M (Depends on if he wants to contend or get the money)
Barrie - Dallas - 7x$8M
Holtby - Buffalo - 7x$9M
Braun - Dallas -3x3M
Gudas - Edmonton - 2x$3M
Lots wrong here.. AP doesn't sign in st Louis....brassard over paid by a mile...brodie to Toronto...Shultz goes west coast..Holtby or lehner to Carolina..hall stays punter vegas

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Barrie - Dallas - 7x$8M
Holtby - Buffalo - 7x$9M
Braun - Dallas -3x3M
Gudas - Edmonton - 2x$3M

Why is Montreal signing Pysyk ?

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Why is Montreal signing Pysyk ?
It’d be an alright signing. They have the open spot for RD behind Weber and Petry.

Won’t cost them a big name price tag and he is reliable. 18pts in 58gp / +4. I think he’s help solidify their backend for a cheaper cost. Allowing Fleury to not play a full season but squeeze some games in while the team tries to compete. If any injuries happened on the right side he could move up and Fleury slot in until such player comes back off injury if they were to run into that problem.

Chiarot Weber
Romanov Petry
Mete Pysyk
Kulak Fleury

I like it compared to what the Habs has down the stretch with Ouellette and such playing.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It’d be an alright signing. They have the open spot for RD behind Weber and Petry.

Won’t cost them a big name price tag and he is reliable. 18pts in 58gp / +4. I think he’s help solidify their backend for a cheaper cost. Allowing Fleury to not play a full season but squeeze some games in while the team tries to compete. If any injuries happened on the right side he could move up and Fleury slot in until such player comes back off injury if they were to run into that problem.

Chiarot Weber
Romanov Petry
Mete Pysyk
Kulak Fleury

I like it compared to what the Habs has down the stretch with Ouellette and such playing.

We need to address the left side. Not the right. Left is the west side. Port side in nautical terms.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
We need to address the left side. Not the right. Left is the west side. Port side in nautical terms.
Well if Romanov makes the club. Out left side is going to be fine. Kulak and Mete could rotate that 3rd pairing which would be fine for them for minutes and playing. The defense group I showed above is pretty solid looking and more complete than this season imo.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Barrie - Dallas - 7x$8M
Holtby - Buffalo - 7x$9M
Braun - Dallas -3x3M
Gudas - Edmonton - 2x$3M
So the Flyers are signing LHD Krug for 6 million when they already have Provy, Sanheim, Ghost and Hagg as LHD on the roster and Zamula & York on the way?

That makes no sense at all.

Provy Niskanen
Sanheim Myers
Ghost Friedman
Hagg

Flyers don't need to add any Dmen for next year....Krug and TVR are not needed.

Reactions: TheKingPin

BattleLevel

Jan 19, 2014
I figure the Jets will go after Demelo hard. He fit in well after the trade. Might like to see Dillon here too if the cost/term isn't out of hand.

I have a gut feeling that Little won't be coming back anytime soon and will end up on the LTIR, so they'll need a centre. Granlund could be an interesting option here. He's coming off a couple of down years so he might take a prove it type of deal. If not, I hope this is the year that Chevy finally figures out how to fix the 2C postition.

I doubt the Jets go after AP. They've never been a big splash FA team. I have no interest in Eakin or Hamonic either, but I have a sneaking suspicion one of them will end up on the roster. Buff is staying retired.

ricku

Feb 19, 2015
If anyone signs Holtby to a deal over 6.5 million for more then 3 years, they are crazy.

Reactions: Tripod

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I figure the Jets will go after Demelo hard. He fit in well after the trade. Might like to see Dillon here too if the cost/term isn't out of hand.

I have a gut feeling that Little won't be coming back anytime soon and will end up on the LTIR, so they'll need a centre. Granlund could be an interesting option here. He's coming off a couple of down years so he might take a prove it type of deal. If not, I hope this is the year that Chevy finally figures out how to fix the 2C postition.

I doubt the Jets go after AP. They've never been a big splash FA team. I have no interest in Eakin or Hamonic either, but I have a sneaking suspicion one of them will end up on the roster. Buff is staying retired.
Will Demelo be your #4 or #3?

Granlund isn't effective @C anymore. Confirmed by many, too bad, I would've tried to sign him for DET 2C otherwise.

Dillon/Hamonic/Eakin? what do you see as your D next year?

BattleLevel

Jan 19, 2014
Will Demelo be your #4 or #3?

Granlund isn't effective @C anymore. Confirmed by many, too bad, I would've tried to sign him for DET 2C otherwise.

Dillon/Hamonic/Eakin? what do you see as your D next year?
D pairs (based on the end in March) could look something like:
Morrissey/DeMelo
Dillon/Pionk
Niku/Poolman

Dahlstrom is still signed and would be pressbox along with whichever of Beaulieu/Sbisa I could see the Jets resigning for depth. Heinola and Samberg start their seasons in the AHL. If Eakin gets resigned then he would probably get first shot at the 2C role, but man...Chevy really needs to find someone better.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Chiarot Weber
Romanov Petry
Mete Pysyk
Kulak Fleury

No, you let Juulsen and Fleury battle for the last RD spot. You don't sign a guy for multiple years, with a flat cap to play the bottom pairing and block promising RD prospects from being promoted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad