Speculation: Predicting where the top 50 free agents land

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Mike Hoffman - Colorado
Robin Lehner - Carolina
Tyson Barrie - Arizona
Wayne Simmonds - Calgary
Jesper Fast - Nashville

Those are my only predictions at this time, a lot of the other names are going to re-sign due to contract concerns with the uncertainty and flat cap.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Actully there was positive talk out of his camp about Toronto and from inside the leafs organization about how well AP would do. Your so called facts are incorrect. We know there was talk on both sides a out a trade before...
so just to clarify. the leafs were having discussions about how well AP would do in toronto and these conversations got leaked? sounds like tampering to me.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
so just to clarify. the leafs were having discussions about how well AP would do in toronto and these conversations got leaked? sounds like tampering to me.
Dont think media Intel is tampering ... if you were around the Toronto media buzz there was common knowledge that both parties had interest. The discussions actully happened between the 2 teams on a trade ....dont seem like tampering

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Dont think media Intel is tampering ... if you were around the Toronto media buzz there was common knowledge that both parties had interest. The discussions actully happened between the 2 teams on a trade ....dont seem like tampering
im pretty sure if a team is discussing a player (under contract to another team) and openly saying how good said player would be on their team, would be tampering. also, i know they had discussions on a trade.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
What is MORE interesting then who goes where imo is how the market will change with the flat cap out of no where now? Will we see a large % of guys sign short term deals? Will we see more team friendly deals? Do depth guys become SUPER cheap as the cap space starts to run out?

With such a drastic change to the market, the response will be a big deal for a lot of these guys.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
With the cap likely staying flat for the next couple seasons I don’t see many of these guys taking short term deals. I think cap hits will be a little bit down from last offseason due to teams knowing the cap won’t be growing in these coming seasons. The top end guys are still gonna get paid though and term as well, teams will make room to sign these guys

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
I'm going with Wayne Simmonds and Mark Borowiecki to Montreal. Not because they'll make the team better, but because they just seem like typical Marc Bergevin moves. Hopefully he manages to pick up a good backup goalie to go along with them.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
im pretty sure if a team is discussing a player (under contract to another team) and openly saying how good said player would be on their team, would be tampering. also, i know they had discussions on a trade.
Discussing with the team that had thevplayer under contract is NOT tampering... of course they explored if there was a fit and apparantly there was according to the Toronto media. You can be sure they discussed either AP abd his camp.. I honestly think Toronto is on his list as a possibility. Blues are front runners of course

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
For bleeps and giggles
AP STL
Hall - CGY
Krug - BOS
Markstrom - VAN
Byfuglien - HE GONE
Lehner - CHI
Hoffman - MON
Dadonov - FLA
Toffoli - VAN
Barrie - If Toffoli goes elsewhere VAN makes sense. in this case I'll go NJD
Haula - BUF
Holtby - DET
Brodie - TML
Vatanen -NJD
i would love to have Hoffman with the Habs

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Growing consensus is that Little retires. That said, don’t want to pay what it would cost for Pietro to come this way. Best to resign DeMelo for a fraction of the cost.
Why would he retire? If itsna medical issue, he'll go on LTIR... tbat way he still gets paid.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
You would think at some point the Sharks would want to move on from some of those guys?

After 2021 season. Marleau is set to pass Gordie Howe for all time games played next season, so would be a feel good moment to do that in teal. He is still a decent third liner and in great condition. Thornton should be demoted to 4c but none of our prospects passed him for the 3c slot. He probably can play next year (given extra rest this long off season), but then SHOULD retire.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
i will toss out the idea of hall signing with boston. there has been some connections linking the two in the past.

boston currently is counting on krecji/debrusk to power a second line. these guys are going to cost more than 10 mill and i think its rather shakey to call them an above average second line.

i argue both krecji and debrusk would be tradable in the current market place and trading them would bring back some assets.

i believe hall by himself... is a safer bet to count on as a second line then the duo of krecji/debrusk would be.

i can forsee bergeron/marchand slowing down in the next couple years... and see them fall into a second line status with the team... i see hall's playmaking ability pairing well with pastrnak and see the 2 of them inherit the top line spot. coyle/ritchie bring some size for a third line. perhaps studnicka develops well enough to be factored into this core equation.

its all about cap management/maintaining depth... having 3 lines that work and are also affordable

sadly i dont see krug staying in boston... with or without hall... i see boston planning to carry forward with mcavoy/carlo eating up the mins and earning the top dollars. then a couple affordable 3/4 guys. and probably a couple kids rounding out the top 6

again it comes down to cap management. if mcavoy wasnt the heir apparant to the pp qb spot perhaps bruins would be forced to pay for a pp qb. mcavoy does need to do that job though to fulfill his potential.

and then grzelyck is an effective enough puck mover to serve as a second guy and his cap hit makes more sense.

bruins might try to find a very cheap guy to round out the team... last year shattenkirk was available for less than 2 mill... someone like him as a 6/7 dman... it just makes way more sense than locking krug up on a 4 year deal at 6 mill

And then we can get a #1OA to replace Bergeron!

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
With the cap staying flat for 2 years. I can see the Avs offering Hall a 2 year contract at like 8 million / year . He can then go back in to FA at 30 and get his final deal. Avs keep their prospects for trades to be made when they need something else

Landy / Mack / Rant
Burk / Kadri / Hall

Not a bad top 6

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
With the cap staying flat for 2 years. I can see the Avs offering Hall a 2 year contract at like 8 million / year . He can then go back in to FA at 30 and get his final deal. Avs keep their prospects for trades to be made when they need something else

Landy / Mack / Rant
Burk / Kadri / Hall

Not a bad top 6
I think that you have to offer more to get a guy like Hall to sign short term in his prime, but if the Av's could get Hall to sign a short contract I would be so happy. Would be the ultimate move for them.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Because Guadreau is probably gone as a UFA in 2 years to the Metro division or Buffalo. May as well capitalize on his value.

Nobody has any idea what Gaudreau wants to do in 2 years. Best thing to do would be to re-sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad