Speculation: Predicting where the top 50 free agents land

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Pietrangelo - St. Louis - 8x$8M
Hall - Tampa Bay - 2x$5M/Nashville - 7x$8.5M (Depends on if he wants to contend or get the money)
Krug - Philadelphia - 7x6M
Markstrom - Vancouver - 6x6M
Byfuglien - Retired/Jets - 2x$1.5
Lehner - San Jose - 6x$7M
Hoffman - New Jersey - 6x$6M
Dadonov - New Jersey - 4x5.5M
Toffoli - Vancouver - 6x$5M
Barrie - Dallas - 7x$8M
Haula - Toronto - 3x$3.5M
Holtby - Buffalo - 7x$9M
Brodie - New Jersey - 6x$4.5M
Vatanen - Colorado - 4x$5.5M
Shattenkirk - Toronto - 4x$2.5M
Dillon - Los Angeles - 4x$4.5M
Tanev - Vancouver - 6x3.5M
Braun - Dallas -3x3M
Hamonic - Minnesota - 4x$2.5M
Edmundson - Los Angeles - 4x$3.5M
Crawford - Chicago - 2x$1.25M
Galchenyuk - Ottawa - 2x$2M
Kovalchuk - Montreal - 2x$1.5M
Pysyk - Montreal - 4x$3.5M
Eakin - Anaheim - 3x$1.5M
Schultz - Detroit - 3x$3.5M
Gudas - Edmonton - 2x$3M
TvR - Philadelphia - 3x$4M
Maroon - Tampa Bay - 2x$1.125M
Brassard - Vancouver - 3x$2.5M
Green - Washington - 2x$1.5M
DeMelo - Winnipeg - 3x$2M
As much as I wish this were true for Canuck resigns (marky, TT and tanev)... I just can’t see how we’d be able to fit all 3 in (unless someone is taking eriksson, baertschi and/or Sutter off our hands). Brassard is also not needed (nor can we afford/ we have cheaper options to use from within).

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If anyone signs Holtby to a deal over 6.5 million for more then 3 years, they are crazy.
you are better than me. i would say anything over 5 million they are crazy. Cup or not, his last 3 seasons have been below average.

Reactions: ricku

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Hall - Tampa Bay - 2x$5M/Nashville - 7x$8.5M (Depends on if he wants to contend or get the money)
Barrie - Dallas - 7x$8M
Holtby - Buffalo - 7x$9M
Braun - Dallas -3x3M
Gudas - Edmonton - 2x$3M
Yeah Krug stays in Boston for 7x$6M no way he's signing with Philly.

Reactions: Tripod

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I would bet money that Hall goes to Colorado. It makes TOO much sense- Winning team. Very bright future that will contend for years. Needs a top 6 LW. Has cap space...

At the end of the day, all Hall has said is he wants 1 thing. To win. He's only had that opportunity once, and he carried us to the playoffs. He's the one UFA I would expect take a bit of a discount to fit into a top team.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
So the Avs are just going to play 2020-2021 with $8-11Mm in unused cap space. Just let it sit there and go to waste with a contending roster in a cap strapped year? I find that so highly unlikely that the single best team in the nhl with significant cap space sits out UFA and doesn’t use their cap space because they’ll need to pay guys years from today.

your agent calls you and says, “I’ve heard from Jersey, Buffalo and Colorado. They’d all like you to fly in for a sit down.” So the player is thinking. I can go to high tax Jersey or Buffalo. Play on a lousy team in lousy weather. Lose a lot of games and my wife will leave me. (I’m kidding). Or I can go play on one of the best rosters in the nhl, maybe win a Cup, pay less state income tax and live in a city with great weather and awesome natural beauty.

I’m guessing the Avs get the first at bat with more than their fair share of UFAs this off season.

Bruh have you been to Jersey? Weather is actually incredible here.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Nope, the Kings are still in the rebuilding stage. They're not ready to be players in FA for anything more than a bridge player. Like if Edmundson lasts in FA, the Kings may sign him to a three year bridge contract until some of their youth take his spot. But, if he goes early, it won't be with the Kings.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Nope, the Kings are still in the rebuilding stage. They're not ready to be players in FA for anything more than a bridge player. Like if Edmundson lasts in FA, the Kings may sign him to a three year bridge contract until some of their youth take his spot. But, if he goes early, it won't be with the Kings.

Keep in mind he won't have as many suitors offering an NMC with the flat cap and Seattle draft next season.

A team like LA can take advantage of this. And plenty of rebuilding teams have signed big UFAs.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Barrie - Dallas - 7x$8M
Holtby - Buffalo - 7x$9M
Braun - Dallas -3x3M
Gudas - Edmonton - 2x$3M

There are some head scratchers on here. TB is out on hall come on now.
Flyers have Sanheim and Provorov at lhd, have Myers rhd to keep in Ed and will add Krug? not happening
Montreal will sign someone better than Pysyk with their cap room.
TVR to Philly. Why not just keep Ghost at 4.5m than sign TVR at 4m?
Barrie 8m? BLEEP NO.
Holtby 7x 9m Does anyone know the Heimlich?

Players I can see your point
Toffoli, Maroon,Demelo,
Schultz I can see to Det
Lehner I can see
Dillon to LA I can see
Gudas nice deal to EDM I like
Crawford if he starts 2.25-2.5m but right team

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I would bet money that Hall goes to Colorado. It makes TOO much sense- Winning team. Very bright future that will contend for years. Needs a top 6 LW. Has cap space...

At the end of the day, all Hall has said is he wants 1 thing. To win. He's only had that opportunity once, and he carried us to the playoffs. He's the one UFA I would expect take a bit of a discount to fit into a top team.

Both of the Avs top 6 LW were in the top 20 in PPG for LW. I think we're probably OK without Hall, and I'd rather not ruin our cap structure when we're going to have some big contracts coming up in the next few seasons (Mack, Makar, Landy, Byram, etc.).

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Keep in mind he won't have as many suitors offering an NMC with the flat cap and Seattle draft next season.

A team like LA can take advantage of this. And plenty of rebuilding teams have signed big UFAs.
The Kings are dedicated to building through the draft and developing their young players. At some point they may be ready for trades/FAs, but they aren't close to that point yet. They most likely will sign a short-term, inexpensive contract, but nothing major.

With that, on the other hand, I don't see Krug wanting to come to the team with the #2 pick in the draft.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The Kings are dedicated to building through the draft and developing their young players. At some point they may be ready for trades/FAs, but they aren't close to that point yet. They most likely will sign a short-term, inexpensive contract, but nothing major.

With that, on the other hand, I don't see Krug wanting to come to the team with the #2 pick in the draft.

UFAs have never cared about that stuff (see Panarin last year)

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I don't know about any of the other teams, but if I'm Detroit (and I like to think I am), I throw money at Lehner.

Also, if Haula or Galchenyuk are willing to take shorter-term deals, I'd look at one of them as a stop gap 2C. Maybe even Brassard, though I'm sure he's looking for a retirement contract at this point. Maybe SFY brings Namestinkov in?

On D, anyone but Krug. I'd also back the money truck up to Pietrangelo, but yeah, chances are slim.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
There are some head scratchers on here. TB is out on hall come on now.
Flyers have Sanheim and Provorov at lhd, have Myers rhd to keep in Ed and will add Krug? not happening
Montreal will sign someone better than Pysyk with their cap room.
TVR to Philly. Why not just keep Ghost at 4.5m than sign TVR at 4m?
Barrie 8m? BLEEP NO.
Holtby 7x 9m Does anyone know the Heimlich?

Players I can see your point
Toffoli, Maroon,Demelo,
Schultz I can see to Det
Lehner I can see
Dillon to LA I can see
Gudas nice deal to EDM I like
Crawford if he starts 2.25-2.5m but right team

It's funny because sometimes I need to make ridiculous proposals because it's how teams think. It's also how good their agents may be to land them.

Reason I think the Flyers overpay Krug is because they overpay whomever the top free agent may be, but their a team that builds their team based on veterans and experience. But I can see where you're getting at. I thought Tyson Barrie would be another guy they overpay, but he's going to demand a lot and get a huge payday. My point though was Krug was going to get a big payday somewhere.

Same with Braden Holtby. He has the resume to make a strong demand, plus Buffalo is desperate for a proven starter considering they need to prove Jack Eichel's time is worth spending with the Sabres as their down to one last chance at this point. Buffalo is one team I can see getting aggressive this off-season.

But Taylor Hall is a two-way here. He can either contend and take a pay-cut or take the money, if he takes the money it's without question he's signing with Nashville (though they need to trade Turris, probably to a team that'll take his bad contract). Taylor Hall joining the Lightning (or any other contender) solidifies his chance of winning the cup and taking a higher payday with another team come his next free-agency.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It's funny because sometimes I need to make ridiculous proposals because it's how teams think. It's also how good their agents may be to land them.

Reason I think the Flyers overpay Krug is because they overpay whomever the top free agent may be, but their a team that builds their team based on veterans and experience. But I can see where you're getting at. I thought Tyson Barrie would be another guy they overpay, but he's going to demand a lot and get a huge payday. My point though was Krug was going to get a big payday somewhere.

Same with Braden Holtby. He has the resume to make a strong demand, plus Buffalo is desperate for a proven starter considering they need to prove Jack Eichel's time is worth spending with the Sabres as their down to one last chance at this point. Buffalo is one team I can see getting aggressive this off-season.

But Taylor Hall is a two-way here. He can either contend and take a pay-cut or take the money, if he takes the money it's without question he's signing with Nashville (though they need to trade Turris, probably to a team that'll take his bad contract). Taylor Hall joining the Lightning (or any other contender) solidifies his chance of winning the cup and taking a higher payday with another team come his next free-agency.

Agreed Krug will get paid somewhere. BOS, LAK, NJD MTL. But yes he will get paid.

Lightning has to trade Killorn and one of Gourde/Johnson and pray they don't have to retain or give us picks for the latter. You don't trade Cirelli for a year or 2 of Hall.

Holtby never been a regular season goalie and I wouldn't want my team to sign if I missed the playoffs this past year. And yes I can see Sabers or Wings paying. 9m is just WOOF to me.

Let me deal with Flyers in particular. They don't have a lot of cap space UNLESS they trade Ghost and receive no/little money back. Easier said than done in this market. Flyers also have Myers Sanheim and Provorov as keeper d. AV has played left side d on left and right side d on right. That makes Krug the no 5 d-man and Ghost re-do. If you sign Krug Flyers have to go 4x4 in ED and if either Lindblom or Patrick come back strong then the Flyers are royally screwed.

Long term is bigger issue. Hart is going to get 6-7m in a year. Sanheim will get at least 5.25m in a year. And 2 years from now Couturier will get 9m a year. Not impossible deals but have to prepare now. And maybe you can convince Seattle to take JVR, but I sure wouldn't count on it.

If there are moves I am GUESSING it is smaller in size.
Trade Ghost
Resign Braun
Upgrade the backup G lets say Greiss instead of Elliott
Look at Patrick's health and decide if you have to keep D Grant

We shall see.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Again:

Provy Niskanen
Sanheim Myers
Ghost Friedman
Hagg

You really think they will add a LHD who needs PP time? Talk about adding what they already have. Also...vets and experience? Let's look who played this year:

Hart #1 goalie, Elliot as vet backup

Ghost, Provy, Sanheim, Myers, Hagg on D-Nisky and Braun as vets, Morin got hurt all year

TK, Farabee, Lindblom, NAK, Frost, Vorobyev, Bunnaman-all 23 years old or younger and played at least 20 games. Twarynski, Kase, Rubstov, as 3 more kids who played games this year

Laughton 25-home grown
Couts 27-home grown
Voracek- been here 10 years
Raffl 31-signed as UFA 8 years ago as undrafted player
Giroux 32- home grown

JVR- 30-yup, signed as a vet
Hayes 27-yup, signed as a vet in large part because of Patrick's health issues
Pitlick-was a 1 year pickup

Flyers added Nisky and Braun because Nisky for Gudas was a great upgrade and Braun was a 1 year rental to make sure Myers was ready for top 4 icetime.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Barrie - Dallas - 7x$8M
Holtby - Buffalo - 7x$9M
Braun - Dallas -3x3M
Gudas - Edmonton - 2x$3M

0% chance Wilson signs another goalie to a fat contract. He’s not locking in 13MM in cap on two goalies long term. Plus SJ is pretty tight against the cap.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
0% chance Wilson signs another goalie to a fat contract. He’s not locking in 13MM in cap on two goalies long term. Plus SJ is pretty tight against the cap.

I expect them to trade Jones in order to make room for Lehner/Holtby/other goaltender.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I expect them to trade Jones in order to make room for Lehner/Holtby/other goaltender.

who is going to trade for Jones? I don’t see any team taking on that contract unless there is significant retention from SJ which defeats the purpose.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
UFAs have never cared about that stuff (see Panarin last year)
The Kings management, however do. They have a limited amount of contracts and a few more ELCs that will need to be signed per Rob Blake on John Hovin's pod cast. If Hutton leaves in FA, that frees a spot, but they may just re-sign him. Then maybe one other bridge contract. But, all agreed that they won't be players in FA.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The Kings management, however do. They have a limited amount of contracts and a few more ELCs that will need to be signed per Rob Blake on John Hovin's pod cast. If Hutton leaves in FA, that frees a spot, but they may just re-sign him. Then maybe one other bridge contract. But, all agreed that they won't be players in FA.

Well i think ur forgetting Blake as stated publicly he will upgrade the left side of our defense with a vet. Now it could be hes after someone else (dillion or edmounson ) I ask you why not at least kick tires on the best upgrade u can find who is krug imo. This flat cap will limit the number of teams that can afford him. The kings have cap room (10 more million after next year when kovy cap hit disappears and Dions gets reduced) I wouldbe very disappointed ifthe kings didnt try

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Well i think ur forgetting Blake as stated publicly he will upgrade the left side of our defense with a vet. Now it could be hes after someone else (dillion or edmounson ) I ask you why not at least kick tires on the best upgrade u can find who is krug imo. This flat cap will limit the number of teams that can afford him. The kings have cap room (10 more million after next year when kovy cap hit disappears and Dions gets reduced) I wouldbe very disappointed ifthe kings didnt try
Krug doesn't really fit the description of a bridge contract. He's most likely going to want $$$ and term. That's great, but at 29 he's not at the age group the Kings will sign as a core player. They aren't at the point of tossing cap at FAs.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Krug doesn't really fit the description of a bridge contract. He's most likely going to want $$$ and term. That's great, but at 29 he's not at the age group the Kings will sign as a core player. They aren't at the point of tossing cap at FAs.

With the cap going no where for at least 3 years he may not have a choice . I also would like to point out that we could also trade him when our younger defenseman show they can play with reduced salary to a playoff contender. I am thinking a 3 year contract around 20 million. This team need more vets on defense and Krug would help alot

Last edited:

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
With the cap going no where for at least 3 years he may not have a choice . I also would like to point out that we could also trade him when our younger defenseman show they can play with reduced salary to a playoff contender. I am thinking a 3 year contract around 20 million. This team need more vets on defense and Krug would help alot
All things considered, I don't see either side going for that contract. At that rate, Boston would easily re-sign him and if Krug was willing to take that deal, I believe he'd stay a Bruin.

For the Kings, is Krug going to put them in the next level, playoffs? No, he's not. Judging from the way the Kings have been approaching FA while in this rebuild, they will be looking at a lesser contract. Also, I think Krug is going to get more than just the Kings as interested suitors. There will be contenders willing to out bid the Kings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad