Speculation: Predicting where the top 50 free agents land

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
He is from Toronto and has family there. There was interest on the leafs end last year and they would welcome AP home in a heartbeat
There's was already talk that AP has no desire to play in Toronto. And the Leafs would need to move out all 3 of Johnsson, Kerfoot and Kapanen just to afford to sign him plus still fill out rest of the roster. Last things Leafs need is another $9 million to $10 million per season salary.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Pietrangelo - WPG/PHI 6 or 7 years
Hall - CGY/ARI
Krug - BOS/DET
Markstrom - VAN
Byfuglien - retired
Lehner - idk anymore CAR? SJS?
Hoffman - ARI/DAL/NSH
Dadonov - FLA
Toffoli - VAN/CGY
Barrie - VAN? Idk
Haula - FLA/BUF
Holtby - BUF/CAR
Brodie - CGY/southern team
Vatanen - CGY/ANA/WPG
Shattenkirk - USA team looking for an offensive RD at 3-4M
Dillon - WSH/BUF
Tanev - VAN
Gustafson - CGY? Idk
Braun - PHI/TOR
Hamonic - TOR/WPG
Edmudson - CAR/BUF/MTL
Crawford - CHI
No cap room for either Tanev or Barrie if we try and go for Markstrom and Toffoli first which seems to be the priority.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Dunno where they will land, but safe to say Pietrangelo is not going to Toronto. Would be kinda fun to see him in Chicago though. That's the only free agent I'm interested to see where he ends up.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
So the Avs are just going to play 2020-2021 with $8-11Mm in unused cap space. Just let it sit there and go to waste with a contending roster in a cap strapped year? I find that so highly unlikely that the single best team in the nhl with significant cap space sits out UFA and doesn’t use their cap space because they’ll need to pay guys years from today.
I think Sakic is better off putting the screws to someone in a trade.

Cap Space, motivated sellers, attractive destination to get players to waive NTCs AND you can probably find a better contract than what you'd have to give to a UFA.

I'm sure Sakic has a list of targets for UFA and trade.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
For bleeps and giggles
AP STL
Hall - CGY
Krug - BOS
Markstrom - VAN
Byfuglien - HE GONE
Lehner - CHI
Hoffman - MON
Dadonov - FLA
Toffoli - VAN
Barrie - If Toffoli goes elsewhere VAN makes sense. in this case I'll go NJD
Haula - BUF
Holtby - DET
Brodie - TML
Vatanen -NJD

Woah, a sensible approach to this....u shall be shunned.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think Sakic is better off putting the screws to someone in a trade.

Cap Space, motivated sellers, attractive destination to get players to waive NTCs AND you can probably find a better contract than what you'd have to give to a UFA.

I'm sure Sakic has a list of targets for UFA and trade.

this assumes UFAs get great deals this offseason. Which most of us do not assume. Should be easy pickings in UFA. I wouldn’t trade a sixth round pick for a Kilhorn. Not that he’s got that little value. He’s worth more.

But if you’re Sakic, why? Why give away an asset when you can sign someone cheap in UFA. Why help a team like Tampa out of their cap problems?

get your guys in UFA unless Tampa or that like is attaching assets to free up cap space.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Well kings gm said he was looking t sign a lhd that has some experience. Also king have cap to over pay Kings are a up and coming team with there prospect pool
Edmundson makes more sense, Krug isn't going to sign that far west he has home both in Boston and Michigan and has already said that he's raising his daughter in Michigan during the summer and probably Boston in the winter. Both He and his Wife want to be near their families there in Michigan Krug said. So i doubt he has any interest in Southern California. He'll stay in Boston before LA.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
this assumes UFAs get great deals this offseason. Which most of us do not assume. Should be easy pickings in UFA. I wouldn’t trade a sixth round pick for a Kilhorn. Not that he’s got that little value. He’s worth more.

But if you’re Sakic, why? Why give away an asset when you can sign someone cheap in UFA. Why help a team like Tampa out of their cap problems?

get your guys in UFA unless Tampa or that like is attaching assets to free up cap space.
Great? No. Term enough to become a pain in the ass in the check comes due on MacKinon and Makar in two seasons? Highly possible.

I like the known quantities of existing contracts the GMs will be very willing to move as opposed to the pig in a poke that free agency can be.

Hell it won’t just be cap space. There will be some owners looking to get real salary off the books.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Great? No. Term enough to become a pain in the ass in the check comes due on MacKinon and Makar in two seasons? Highly possible.

I like the known quantities of existing contracts the GMs will be very willing to move as opposed to the pig in a poke that free agency can be.

Hell it won’t just be cap space. There will be some owners looking to get real salary off the books.
Three seasons. The Avs have Mack locked up for three more years. Plus most UFAs likely sign for short term this offseason. Sign a player to a one or two year deal. Why trade an asset for a guy some other GM signed.

this cap crunch will help the Avs keep Makars next deal down.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Why wouldn't he have already signed an extension if that was the case? And why would St. Louis go big with extending Faulk if Pietrangelo wanted to resign?
Because Faulk was unrelated to Petro and the blues wanted to continue to have solid defensive depth because championship teams are more than just a couple star players?

despite the fact Faulk is horrific in his role and that turned out to be a garbage trade and an even worse contract

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
How is it a great fit ? They have Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk as top 6 LWers

Tkachuk plays right wing sometimes, and Gaudreau did it at the worlds too.

Flames need a top 6 C more, but those are hard to find so they might as well load up the wings if they get the chance.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i will toss out the idea of hall signing with boston. there has been some connections linking the two in the past.

boston currently is counting on krecji/debrusk to power a second line. these guys are going to cost more than 10 mill and i think its rather shakey to call them an above average second line.

i argue both krecji and debrusk would be tradable in the current market place and trading them would bring back some assets.

i believe hall by himself... is a safer bet to count on as a second line then the duo of krecji/debrusk would be.

i can forsee bergeron/marchand slowing down in the next couple years... and see them fall into a second line status with the team... i see hall's playmaking ability pairing well with pastrnak and see the 2 of them inherit the top line spot. coyle/ritchie bring some size for a third line. perhaps studnicka develops well enough to be factored into this core equation.

its all about cap management/maintaining depth... having 3 lines that work and are also affordable

sadly i dont see krug staying in boston... with or without hall... i see boston planning to carry forward with mcavoy/carlo eating up the mins and earning the top dollars. then a couple affordable 3/4 guys. and probably a couple kids rounding out the top 6

again it comes down to cap management. if mcavoy wasnt the heir apparant to the pp qb spot perhaps bruins would be forced to pay for a pp qb. mcavoy does need to do that job though to fulfill his potential.

and then grzelyck is an effective enough puck mover to serve as a second guy and his cap hit makes more sense.

bruins might try to find a very cheap guy to round out the team... last year shattenkirk was available for less than 2 mill... someone like him as a 6/7 dman... it just makes way more sense than locking krug up on a 4 year deal at 6 mill

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Well kings gm said he was looking t sign a lhd that has some experience. Also king have cap to over pay Kings are a up and coming team with there prospect pool
Honestly the kings need to blow it up and move DD and Kopitar, they are realistically 3 to 4 years away from having their current depth and prospects replenished and in the NHL.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Tkachuk plays right wing sometimes, and Gaudreau did it at the worlds too.

Flames need a top 6 C more, but those are hard to find so they might as well load up the wings if they get the chance.

It's not a good idea unless you can trade one of Tkachuk or Gaudreau for a C

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
There's was already talk that AP has no desire to play in Toronto. And the Leafs would need to move out all 3 of Johnsson, Kerfoot and Kapanen just to afford to sign him plus still fill out rest of the roster. Last things Leafs need is another $9 million to $10 million per season salary.
Actully there was positive talk out of his camp about Toronto and from inside the leafs organization about how well AP would do. Your so called facts are incorrect. We know there was talk on both sides a out a trade before...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad