Speculation: Predicting where the top 50 free agents land

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
All things considered, I don't see either side going for that contract. At that rate, Boston would easily re-sign him and if Krug was willing to take that deal, I believe he'd stay a Bruin.

For the Kings, is Krug going to put them in the next level, playoffs? No, he's not. Judging from the way the Kings have been approaching FA while in this rebuild, they will be looking at a lesser contract. Also, I think Krug is going to get more than just the Kings as interested suitors. There will be contenders willing to out bid the Kings.

I actually think him signing in la puts us in the race. We may not make it but i can see it coming down to the last week or so. Krug would also help address one of the Kings weak areas the power play with more goals on it the kings win more simple as that. Lets not forget the kings won there last 7 games What contenders can afford to spend more?

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyer lurker

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Pietrangelo - St. Louis - 8x$8M
Hall - Tampa Bay - 2x$5M/Nashville - 7x$8.5M (Depends on if he wants to contend or get the money)
Krug - Philadelphia - 7x6M
Markstrom - Vancouver - 6x6M
Byfuglien - Retired/Jets - 2x$1.5
Lehner - San Jose - 6x$7M
Hoffman - New Jersey - 6x$6M
Dadonov - New Jersey - 4x5.5M
Toffoli - Vancouver - 6x$5M
Barrie - Dallas - 7x$8M
Haula - Toronto - 3x$3.5M
Holtby - Buffalo - 7x$9M
Brodie - New Jersey - 6x$4.5M
Vatanen - Colorado - 4x$5.5M
Shattenkirk - Toronto - 4x$2.5M
Dillon - Los Angeles - 4x$4.5M
Tanev - Vancouver - 6x3.5M
Braun - Dallas -3x3M
Hamonic - Minnesota - 4x$2.5M
Edmundson - Los Angeles - 4x$3.5M
Crawford - Chicago - 2x$1.25M
Galchenyuk - Ottawa - 2x$2M
Kovalchuk - Montreal - 2x$1.5M
Pysyk - Montreal - 4x$3.5M
Eakin - Anaheim - 3x$1.5M
Schultz - Detroit - 3x$3.5M
Gudas - Edmonton - 2x$3M
TvR - Philadelphia - 3x$4M
Maroon - Tampa Bay - 2x$1.125M
Brassard - Vancouver - 3x$2.5M
Green - Washington - 2x$1.5M
DeMelo - Winnipeg - 3x$2M
Colorado could offer around double what Tampa could for Hall to be on a contender for 2 years. Sakic was trying to go shorter term higher dollar for Panarin last year, hoping he trys to do it with Hall this year. Vatanan would have a redundant skill set in Colorado so I doubt he goes there.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
I actually think him signing in la puts us in the race. We may not make it but i can see it coming down to the last week or so. Krug would also help address one of the Kings weak areas the power play with more goals on it the kings win more simple as that. Lets not forget the kings won there last 7 games What contenders can afford to spend more?
Like I stated, Boston will re-sign him at that contract. This team was fourth worst in the league, buoyed by that seven game win streak. They're not ready for the next step. But, we'll see.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Pietrangelo STL
Hall Mtl/Cgy
Lehner VGK
Krug LA
Dillon VGK (Deboer wanted to be reunited with him; McNabb gets traded)
Toffoli Van
Markström Van
Holtby Cgy
Tanev Pit
Haula Avs
Hamonic Jets
Eakin Jets
Dadonov Buf
Barrie Det
Demelo Washington/Tor
Galchenyuk Ottawa
Shattenkirk Dallas
Braun Phi/Tor
Brodie Cgy
Hoffman Ana
Schultz Det
Vatanen Ana
Crawford Det
Khudobin Car
Granlund SJ
Edmundson Ari
Weise Mtl

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
No way Pietrangelo comes to Toronto, its way too much salary.

Hes from Ontario but Toronto fans have to stop believing just because a guy from Ontario hes going to come here ( the Toronto media doesnt help either).

I think Toronto doesnt do any major moves this off season. I think they see if guys like Dermott, Holl, Sandin can become top 4 dmen, also see if Mikheyev, Johnsson will bounce back from their injuries

Not ideal but hey this team is built for offense so now its time to see if that high paid offense can do anything in the playoffs

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Pietrangelo STL
Hall Mtl/Cgy
Lehner VGK
Krug LA
Toffoli Van
Markström Van
Holtby Cgy
Tanev Pit
Haula Avs
Hamonic Jets
Eakin Jets
Dadonov Buf
Barrie Det
Demelo Washington/Tor
Galchenyuk Ottawa
Shattenkirk Dallas
Braun Phi/Tor
Brodie Cgy
Hoffman Ana
Schultz Det
Vatanen Ana
Crawford Det
Khudobin Car
Granlund SJ
Edmundson Ari
Weise Mtl

Pretty darn good and smart list.
Couple of fun questions if this list were reasonably true.
Avs have cap space for short term and would they use for players with one year left on deal. Example Hawks you need salary to keep Strome/sign goalie. If you retain 1m we will take Saad off your hands at a cheap price type of move.
If Crawford left, CHI might give up 4G a game.
NJD have cap space galore and have to be on this list some where. Hoffman to NJD maybe?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Pietrangelo STL
Hall Mtl/Cgy
Lehner VGK
Krug LA
Toffoli Van
Markström Van
Holtby Cgy
Tanev Pit
Haula Avs
Hamonic Jets
Eakin Jets
Dadonov Buf
Barrie Det
Demelo Washington/Tor
Galchenyuk Ottawa
Shattenkirk Dallas
Braun Phi/Tor
Brodie Cgy
Hoffman Ana
Schultz Det
Vatanen Ana
Crawford Det
Khudobin Car
Granlund SJ
Edmundson Ari
Weise Mtl
Krug isn't signing with LA He and his Wife are close to their families there in Michigan. LA is just to far. Vegas doesn't have the money for Lehner. And why would Detroit sign Barrie and Schultz? Detroit is set a RD we need LD help so neither player make sense.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Avs have cap space for short term and would they use for players with one year left on deal. Example Hawks you need salary to keep Strome/sign goalie. If you retain 1m we will take Saad off your hands at a cheap price type of move.
NJD have cap space galore and have to be on this list some where. Hoffman to NJD maybe?

ty
Not sure what Chicago might do but Saad to Colorado makes a lot of sense.
I figured NJ might go for another big trade target like Gaudreau

FilTheThrill91

Feb 5, 2020
Pietrangelo STL 8 Yrs/ 8 Million
Hall COL 7 Yrs/ 8 Million
Lehner COL 2-3 Yrs/ 5-5.5 Million
Krug BOS/DET 7-8 Yrs/ 7-7.5 Million(closer to 8 million or just above if to DET)
Dillon WSH/BUF
Toffoli VAN 4-5 Yrs/ 4.75 Million
Markström VAN
Holtby BUF 2 Yrs/ 5 Million
Tanev VAN
Haula FLA
Hamonic WIN
Eakin EDM
Dadonov FLA
Barrie LA?
Demelo WSH/TOR
Galchenyuk MIN
Shattenkirk DAL/BOS
Braun PHI/TOR
Brodie DET
Hoffman BUF
Schultz WIN?
Vatanen SJS?
Crawford CHI
Khudobin DAL
Granlund BUF

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Pietrangelo STL 8 Yrs/ 8 Million
Hall COL 7 Yrs/ 8 Million
Lehner COL 2-3 Yrs/ 5-5.5 Million
Krug BOS/DET 7-8 Yrs/ 7-7.5 Million(closer to 8 million or just above if to DET)
Dillon WSH/BUF
Toffoli VAN 4-5 Yrs/ 4.75 Million
Markström VAN
Holtby BUF 2 Yrs/ 5 Million
Tanev VAN
Haula FLA
Hamonic WIN
Eakin EDM
Dadonov FLA
Barrie LA?
Demelo WSH/TOR
Galchenyuk MIN
Shattenkirk DAL/BOS
Braun PHI/TOR
Brodie DET
Hoffman BUF
Schultz WIN?
Vatanen SJS?
Crawford CHI
Khudobin DAL
Granlund BUF
I'm glad someone agrees on Brodie to DET...just makes sense.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Pietrangelo STL
Hall Mtl/Cgy
Lehner VGK
Krug LA
Toffoli Van
Markström Van
Holtby Cgy
Tanev Pit
Haula Avs
Hamonic Jets
Eakin Jets
Dadonov Buf
Barrie Det
Demelo Washington/Tor
Galchenyuk Ottawa
Shattenkirk Dallas
Braun Phi/Tor
Brodie Cgy
Hoffman Ana
Schultz Det
Vatanen Ana
Crawford Det
Khudobin Car
Granlund SJ
Edmundson Ari
Weise Mtl
Tanev isnt going to pitt.. the top 4 is set ...they nay chase a 5/6 D but tanev isnt that. Toronto will have interest. The latest on AP is he wants to stay in st louis . Brodie is leaving Calgary. Holtby Not to Calgary. Carolina is the front runner

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Tanev isnt going to pitt.. the top 4 is set ...they nay chase a 5/6 D but tanev isnt that. Toronto will have interest. The latest on AP is he wants to stay in st louis . Brodie is leaving Calgary. Holtby Not to Calgary. Carolina is the front runner

What if Carolina preferred Dobby? And signing Holtby seems like a Treliving move.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Can you say John Tavares...your logic is wrong obviously. Having said that st Louis is Louis front runner but there is interest on both sides.
No way Pietrangelo comes to Toronto, its way too much salary.

Hes from Ontario but Toronto fans have to stop believing just because a guy from Ontario hes going to come here ( the Toronto media doesnt help either).

I think Toronto doesnt do any major moves this off season. I think they see if guys like Dermott, Holl, Sandin can become top 4 dmen, also see if Mikheyev, Johnsson will bounce back from their injuries

Not ideal but hey this team is built for offense so now its time to see if that high paid offense can do anything in the playoffs

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Can you say John Tavares...your logic is wrong obviously. Having said that st Louis is Louis front runner but there is interest on both sides.
That doesn’t mean the Tavares scenario is the norm or should be expected. Can you say Steven Stamkos?

Reactions: spaghtti

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
That doesn’t mean the Tavares scenario is the norm or should be expected. Can you say Steven Stamkos?
If you can say Tavares...Ontario boy..wanted to come to Toronto..left money on table to go there. It actually is rather normal for veteran players to want to return to their hometown area to play...especially if thay team has a shot at a cup...while AP may sign in st Louis we know there is interest on both sides and it was explored last season. AP could very well pull a Tavares and make the leafs a quick seller .....or not

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
If you can say Tavares...Ontario boy..wanted to come to Toronto..left money on table to go there. It actually is rather normal for veteran players to want to return to their hometown area to play...especially if thay team has a shot at a cup...while AP may sign in st Louis we know there is interest on both sides and it was explored last season. AP could very well pull a Tavares and make the leafs a quick seller .....or not
So why because one player did it does it become normal? Where are all the others?

Reactions: Hitemwith4

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not sure what I’d trade for Saad. Not much. He’s a rental in an era where guys with $6mm cap hits have nearly no value. Saad is overpaid. Not by a lot but he won’t see $6mm Aav on his next deal, he’s overpaid on a team with cap problems.

So Given the Hawks need cap relief, I’d take all $6mm but give up a modest offer. Like a 3rd in 2020 or B prospect like Sampo Ranta. Not anything more. Chicago gets cap relief. That is what the Avs offer. Cap relief.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not sure what I’d trade for Saad. Not much. He’s a rental in an era where guys with $6mm cap hits have nearly no value. Saad is overpaid. Not by a lot but he won’t see $6mm Aav on his next deal, he’s overpaid on a team with cap problems.

So Given the Hawks need cap relief, I’d take all $6mm but give up a modest offer. Like a 3rd in 2020 or B prospect like Sampo Ranta. Not anything more. Chicago gets cap relief. That is what the Avs offer. Cap relief.

I agree on the "hardline" stance for paying huge discount prices in exchange for Cap. Cap is the new Gold & Diamonds. Once the supply runs out, it's like musical chairs panic time, only so much excess/external Cap can be acquired...

In a Boeser thread I've suggested Boeser + 2yrs Loui E @$6M Cap/yr. for like a b-prospect & 3rd (~64th OA).

The vultures will be circling Cap Troubled teams, I can't wait.
upload_2020-7-18_0-1-21.png

Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I agree on the "hardline" stance for paying huge discount prices in exchange for Cap. Cap is the new Gold & Diamonds. Once the supply runs out, it's like musical chairs panic time, only so much excess/external Cap can be acquired...

In a Boeser thread I've suggested Boeser + 2yrs Loui E @$6M Cap/yr. for like a b-prospect & 3rd (~64th OA).

The vultures will be circling Cap Troubled teams, I can't wait.
View attachment 354375

we see eye to eye. If a team like Chicago or Vancouver is buying cap space, it will cost them good players like Boeser to remove a horrible contract like Erickson or a guy like Saad is worth, at most, a modest mid round pick.

In that light, I’d offer Chicago a 6th rounder for Saad. It’s essentially nothing to move a kinda bad one year contract on a decent middle six forward.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
we see eye to eye. If a team like Chicago or Vancouver is buying cap space, it will cost them good players like Boeser to remove a horrible contract like Erickson or a guy like Saad is worth, at most, a modest mid round pick.

In that light, I’d offer Chicago a 6th rounder for Saad. It’s essentially nothing to move a kinda bad one year contract on a decent middle six forward.
@McJedi I see you're in Florida, like me. Who's your team?

Yeah, a 6th for Saad is small value, but enough.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
@McJedi I see you're in Florida, like me. Who's your team?

Yeah, a 6th for Saad is small value, but enough.
Avs In west. Panthers in East. The value is the cap space. It’s the base. The plus is the pick. A tiny pick of nearly no consequence.

Saad for cap space + 6th round pick from Avs (via, by coincidence, the Panthers).

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Avs In west. Panthers in East. The value is the cap space. It’s the base. The plus is the pick. A tiny pick of nearly no consequence.

Saad for cap space + 6th round pick from Avs (via, by coincidence, the Panthers).

Yeah, I get that too.

I always liked Trochek, the injury effects him, then CAR grabs him. I always thought there'd be a buy-low opp for Vinny T. Oh well.

Avs are in a good spot organizationally, been a while, they could win 1-2 cups+ eventually.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I doubt the flyers go after anyone notable. They are deep at forward and D on the team, IR, as well as guys coming up. They should go after a backup goalie. I’m hoping they just hold out for the best option after the other guys are signed and get a 1 year deal done. Depending on the market I could see them keeping Braun as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad