Player Discussion Predict James Neal pt totals for this coming season

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Could you imagine the meltdown from Flames fans if Neal scored 30 for the Oilers while Lucic kept on Lucicing it up. Amazing.

I think the thing we might underestimating what he could do on the PP as well. He's got a great shot and I know he's LH, but look at what Letestu did a couple years ago.

I hope they both do well.

Neal, because Im an Oilers fan.

Lucic, because I hope he rebounds.

Reactions: McHaNugYakEbNurDra

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My buddy is a Flames fan living in Edmonton, I’m an Oilers fan living in Calgary. We have a bet that if Lucic tears it up in calgary I’ll buy him a Lucic Flames jersey. If Neal tears it up with Edmonton he has to buy me a Neal Oilers jersey.

So should I get a white one or a blue Neal jersey?

I’m going to laugh if you both have to buy each other a jersey.

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
Before anything else, let me state that I was pleasantly surprised that the Oilers managed to flip Lucic for another reclamation project, one that seems to have a very good shot at recovering somewhat considering his history.

Anyhow, I don't think that Neal is going to hit 20 goals this season, but I do think that he's more than capable of doubling his goal total last season, so I'll say 15 goals, and 30+ points.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
For a guy who had a 12.1 shooting percentage over the first 700 games of their career with no other season being below 10%, to suddenly drop to 5% is incredibly surprising.

It's reasonable to assume he should be able to at least get back to 10% shooting, so if he gets reasonable icetime, he should be able to crack 15 goals and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 20. Age is a factor, but a lot of players like him have continued to produce well into their 30s, so though there should be a dip from his career average, he should still put up reasonable numbers.

I don't think overall he'll show value for the 6.5M cap we have as a result of the trade, but likely better value than we were seeing for the $6M cap we had pre-trade.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For a guy who had a 12.1 shooting percentage over the first 700 games of their career with no other season being below 10%, to suddenly drop to 5% is incredibly surprising.

It's reasonable to assume he should be able to at least get back to 10% shooting, so if he gets reasonable icetime, he should be able to crack 15 goals and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 20. Age is a factor, but a lot of players like him have continued to produce well into their 30s, so though there should be a dip from his career average, he should still put up reasonable numbers.

I don't think overall he'll show value for the 6.5M cap we have as a result of the trade, but likely better value than we were seeing for the $6M cap we had pre-trade.

If he gets his typical 250+ SOG (10% SP) then he should get close to 25 goals.
Assuming of course he gets some quality PP time which I am quite sure he is going to get.

Last edited:

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
as long as he scores more goals than Lucic we win the deal

Even if he doesn't we still could win the deal. Neal's contract makes him a lot easier to buy-out and is not protected in the expansion draft.

I think we can say Lucic wasn't in a place to succeed here regardless. We are trading away a player that needed a new start and has a low to medium chance of marginally improving, for a player that needed a new start and has a medium chance of improving marginally and a low chance of improving significantly. With them being similar projects (and Neal probably had the higher potential upside there too if we are being fair) it comes down to contract and we absolutely got the better contract on our books here.

PS - It sounds like even if Neal does put up points he will be a defensive liability (as per advanced stats) so he might work best with RNH and have prime time on the PP imo. Fingers crossed.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Hope he somehow hits 20 goals. Really hope the 7 last year was an anomaly.
I can't wish Lucic well for many reasons. The kindest of which is he's now a Flame.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Now that the shock has worn off to a point.

Predict Neal's point out put this coming season if he stays healthy

I go 17 goals 20 assists for 37 pts

Neal has never been a top Assist forward.

He has been a top direct targeting open high danger area shooter.

He played deep into the season in 16-17 NSH and 17-18 VGK
No time for summer training.

This year a clear ability to train hard.
A bounce back season should happen.

Looking at Even and PP production.
Our top 2 evg production off pairs
Draisaitl 24 evg - Mcdavid 24 evg 888 EVTOI 3.24 evg/60
RNH 6 evg - Kassian 2 evg 2.49 evg/60

Tippett stated Draisaitl and Mcdavid would get almost all 2min
So Rest of PP time will be given to top PPG and PPGF/60 forwards.

Avg before Calgary
73 gm 21 evg 15 Eva 36evp
5 ppg 8 ppa 13 ppp

Suspect Neal gets major LW time with RNH and shared RW time with Mcdavid.
Shared between Kassian, Chaisson, Jurco, Archibald.

Shared time with
RNH #46 fwd 8 ppg
Chaisson #46 fwd 8 ppg
Gagner 8.00+ PPGF/60

Would like to believe
21G 19 A 40 P
17 evg 12 Eva 29 Evp
4 ppg 7 ppa 11 evp

All are below pre Calgary season avg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad