Player Discussion Predict James Neal pt totals for this coming season

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Since Neal tied Lucic's goal totals from last season, let's say Neal scores just one more goal and goes goaless the rest of the season, do we still win this trade? I mean, 7 goals for Neal, 6 goals for Lucic, I guess that extra goal counts as a win right?

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
So funny on the flames board.......some of them think they've still won the trade because Lucic brings the toughness to the Flames. Oh well, still +70 games left. We'll see if Lucic lights it up.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Is Neal an another product of Connor McDavid? I mean, is it his pure skills, that he scores like beast, or is this the play of McJesus, who send him passes, he couldnt miss.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is Neal an another product of Connor McDavid? I mean, is it his pure skills, that he scores like beast, or is this the play of McJesus, who send him passes, he couldnt miss.

Well he's not playing even strength with McDavid, he plays on the RNH line.

He might actually have 7 or 8 goals by now if he was playing in Kassian's spot, Kassian gets to play with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
LOL

SHames have closed their Neal/Lucic trade thread after last night

I am just amused. Might be just me--it is early--but it is nice seeing so many people who made it clear the Flames won the deal--now acting like spoiled little rich kids denied a piece of cake at dinner

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
It's a team sport. Everything is a product of everything... trainers, coaches, owner, GM, facilities, team-mates, line-mates, "intangibles", ... Is OV goal totals a product of Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlson, blah blah blah... ? it's a team sport kids.

McDavid loves Neal, they're bros. McDavid for player/coach/GM I say.
McDavid is dishing to him and he's burying the chances. Looks easy, but how many times did u see Milan or another Plumber down in the crease and failing to convert those type of chances? Neal is the finisher on PP with some real top-end playmakers who can also threaten. It's now not only that Drai one timer or McDavid doing something insane. Their #1 PP setup has a good 3 really dangerous set scoring plays:
  1. Neal on the doorstep
  2. Drai 1 timer
  3. McDavid doing McDavid stuff (aka give it to McDavid)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well he's not playing even strength with McDavid, he plays on the RNH line.

He might actually have 7 or 8 goals by now if he was playing in Kassian's spot, Kassian gets to play with McDavid and Draisaitl.
Even if he is do we really care?

Not every player can fit with McDavid. If Neal does in fact play off of McDavid it's a lot more than Lucic did with him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
And this ladies and I assume maybe one or two gentleman is why I don't watch pre-season.

What were the comments on Neal? Too slow? Lost his shot?Gonna be useless?

Slow and lost his shot. Players rarely lose their shot as they age, speed is always the first thing to go.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
LOL

SHames have closed their Neal/Lucic trade thread after last night

I am just amused. Might be just me--it is early--but it is nice seeing so many people who made it clear the Flames won the deal--now acting like spoiled little rich kids denied a piece of cake at dinner

:laugh:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Well in my fantasy league, the day before the season i traded Little + a 3rd for Neal, looking good thus far.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I can't believe the Flames boards... won't admit they got fleeced. They went from "both teams are happy with the trade" to "well it won't matter when the Oilers miss the playoffs".

Jebus.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
It's a team sport. Everything is a product of everything... trainers, coaches, owner, GM, facilities, team-mates, line-mates, "intangibles", ... Is OV goal totals a product of Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlson, blah blah blah... ? it's a team sport kids.

McDavid loves Neal, they're bros. McDavid for player/coach/GM I say.
McDavid is dishing to him and he's burying the chances. Looks easy, but how many times did u see Milan or another Plumber down in the crease and failing to convert those type of chances? Neal is the finisher on PP with some real top-end playmakers who can also threaten. It's now not only that Drai one timer or McDavid doing something insane. Their #1 PP setup has a good 3 really dangerous set scoring plays:
  1. Neal on the doorstep
  2. Drai 1 timer
  3. McDavid doing McDavid stuff (aka give it to McDavid)
Don't underestimate Nuges shot as teams shift their attention to Neal.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
It was a win when we removed a NMC from our team. Anything over and above that is bonus, so yes it’s a win.

The fact that Neal has the early appearance of having returned to form is like finding a winning lotto ticket on the ground

Edit: I tried to quote Oilertitanfan’s post, but it didn’t work

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Since Neal tied Lucic's goal totals from last season, let's say Neal scores just one more goal and goes goaless the rest of the season, do we still win this trade? I mean, 7 goals for Neal, 6 goals for Lucic, I guess that extra goal counts as a win right?
They won the trade when it was made, because Neal and his contract are much more manageable. The player isn't a black-hole malcontent and can be sent to the AHL if need be. If Neal, some how, only scores 1 more goal this year (which would be extremely unlikely), the Oilers still won this trade by a lot.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The crazy part about Neal’s start is that he’s never been a huge powerplay goal scorer. Only four times in his career has he tallied more than five PP goals in a season. He had nine in the lockout shortened 2013 season (40GP) with the Pens. He had nine in his rookie season with the Dallas Stars. He potted eleven in 59 games with Pittsburgh in 2014 and had 18 goals with them in 2012.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/10/09/edmonton-oilers-james-neal-for-real/

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Lost in all of this is Alex Chiasson's PP minutes. Literally. He just lost them to Neal. Kind of wish we didn't give him that extra year now but at least it's still a fairly low cap hit.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lost in all of this is Alex Chiasson's PP minutes. Literally. He just lost them to Neal. Kind of wish we didn't give him that extra year now but at least it's still a fairly low cap hit.

True, but it also doesn’t hurt to have Chiasson down on the 2nd unit, could give it a boost. 1st unit will likely be a top 5 unit in the league if this keeps up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad