Player Discussion Predict James Neal pt totals for this coming season

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
I can kind of understand how Lucic is a better fit for the Flames (they say this but it remains to be seen). But what I don't understand is how that makes the deal a win for them or even balanced.

They still took on a player with a huge buyout, that has a NMC, and who does not contribute anything offensively. This ain't the 80s, 90s or early 2000s; everyone in the lineup needs to be faster and produce offensively. Otherwise, you may make the playoffs, but you ain't winning the Cup (which is what Calgary's goal is, right?). The days of making the team because you're just a goon are gone.

Then you've got the part where they still gave away a valuable asset for something of far lesser value. That is just poor asset management.

The other point they make is "there's no room on our team because our top 6 is so skilled". Guy has scored 20+ in every season playing on the Pens, Preds, and Golden Knights. All teams that were considered elite or in the top 10. But no, the Flames I guess have other-worldly talent. This elite level of skill and depth has never been assembled before. They ain't got time for lesser goal-scorers. Oh, please.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lost in all of this is Alex Chiasson's PP minutes. Literally. He just lost them to Neal. Kind of wish we didn't give him that extra year now but at least it's still a fairly low cap hit.

I dont see any reason for Chiasson not to get 2nd line PP minutes when he gets back.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I dont see any reason for Chiasson not to get 2nd line PP minutes when he gets back.
I actually don't see an issue with him not getting any PP time when he returns. It has been known since pre-season that there are a lot of guys fighting for all kinds of playing time. If you get sat, hurt or whatever you can lose your spot just like that.

It might force a guy like Chiasson to do more with his ES time and force the coach to give him PP time.

It's just weird because in the past we've never had guys step up and take something from someone else. It's usually just throw out whoever and hope they don't hurt us out there.

Reactions: Oilhawks and guymez

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Still, he'll be lucky to pot 10 goals this year if he loses the spot he had on PP1 to Neal. I'm not even sure he'll be a regular in the lineup when healthy. They probably like Granlund and Russell's PK ability a lot and Archibald will still be in the mix too. Not a fan of the Chiasson contract at all. Seems like Holland was influenced by leftovers from the previous regime on that one, or at least it was a case of having to fall back to plan C or D when other things fell through in July.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I actually don't see an issue with him not getting any PP time when he returns. It has been known since pre-season that there are a lot of guys fighting for all kinds of playing time. If you get sat, hurt or whatever you can lose your spot just like that.

It might force a guy like Chiasson to do more with his ES time and force the coach to give him PP time.

It's just weird because in the past we've never had guys step up and take something from someone else. It's usually just throw out whoever and hope they don't hurt us out there.

Depth is definitely not something we have seen a lot of with this team.
Nice change of pace. :nod:

Reactions: joestevens29

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Still, he'll be lucky to pot 10 goals this year if he loses the spot he had on PP1 to Neal. I'm not even sure he'll be a regular in the lineup when healthy. They probably like Granlund and Russell's PK ability a lot and Archibald will still be in the mix too. Not a fan of the Chiasson contract at all. Seems like Holland was influenced by leftovers from the previous regime on that one, or at least it was a case of having to fall back to plan C or D when other things fell through in July.

Chiasson is likely going to be a bottom 6 player this year which IMO is exactly where he should be playing.
I think 10+ goals is doable and if he does that and plays a strong possession game then I am absolutely fine with him.

Was a bit of an overpay...maybe.
Its really minor IMO because Holland needed to hedge his bets on all the other players he brought in.
I understand it.

Reactions: joestevens29

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just thought that it would be interesting to check in on this thread.

So far Neal has played 45 games and he has 19 goals. He is on pace for a 30+ goal season.
He is far exceeding most of the expectations on here so far.

Its clear that (even at the midway point of the season) last year was an outlier for Neal.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Just thought that it would be interesting to check in on this thread.

So far Neal has played 45 games and he has 19 goals. He is on pace for a 30+ goal season.
He is far exceeding most of the expectations on here so far.

Its clear that (even at the midway point of the season) last year was an outlier for Neal.

Neal is playing well overall. He is A very up and down player.

I watched/followed him enough to have a good idea what to expect but watching him night in and out has been surprising.

I was expecting him to be worse in terms of play away from the puck, and while he is very inconsistent that way, I have been impressed when he seems focused on a 2 way game. Finishes checks, has the odd great back check, active skater stick.

He has had some games where he didn't show up on the score sheet but played great.

I'm less surprised with his production. He has been gifted extremely prime offensive minutes and is making the most of it.

I still have reservations long term with this player but to date he has been far more good than bad. Hopefully that continues. Taking back salary and giving up a 3rd rounder in this draft had seemed a tad too much to me but so far so good.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I went on a rant over a week ago about how Neal is so bad. Worse than Lucic 5 on 5.

He can be, but when he plays like he has been recently, he looks like a beast. Maybe the top line bump motivated him. He was hitting everything in TO. I hate when our forwards just fly by a Dman back there and let them pass it up. Kassian and Neal were a force. Disrupting Toronto's guys left and right. When Neal doesn't do that, he can be quite a liability.

Reactions: Aerchon

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I was expecting him to be worse in terms of play away from the puck, and while he is very inconsistent that way, I have been impressed when he seems focused on a 2 way game. Finishes checks, has the odd great back check, active skater stick.

He's the perfect example of a guy that gets wrecked in plus/minus, but not because he's a defensive liability. He's in the worst position to have a defensive impact in transition. Battling in front of the net, hard in on the forecheck, PP minutes down low, empty net minutes down low.

Flames fans really wanted to paint a picture of a bad locker room guy who was poor defensively. Neal really hasn't been anything like that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Neal is playing well overall. He is A very up and down player.

I watched/followed him enough to have a good idea what to expect but watching him night in and out has been surprising.

He has had some games where he didn't show up on the score sheet but played great.

I'm less surprised with his production. He has been gifted extremely prime offensive minutes and is making the most of it.

I still have reservations long term with this player but to date he has been far more good than bad. Hopefully that continues. Taking back salary and giving up a 3rd rounder in this draft had seemed a tad too much to me but so far so good.

Thats totally fair.
I have had reservations about his 5x5 play at times as well but if I am to be completely honest about it his 5x5 play has been a net positive overall.

I am not so sure that he is a long term answer either BUT in terms of who he was traded for this is a massive win for this team.
Absolutely brilliant trade by Holland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad