Pre-Season & Training Camp Thread

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Haven't heard much about Tolvanen in rookie or training camp. Reason to be worried?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Where's the guy who we gave up a 1st rounder for and who has scored 19 goals? I'd like to see us giving Hartman a decent chance in a scoring line.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Nope, is he even 19 yet?

I should've been more specific. I meant is there reason to worry for this season? There has been a lot of hype for this kid. If he comes in and completely bombs that is not going to be good for his confidence.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Tolvanen needs Turris or RyJo. I don't think he will be much with Bones. He plays the half wall well on the PP, so he should get second unit time. As he gets bigger and stronger I think he will be fine but a center that can distribute the puck would ease his transition from my perspective.

This is what I'm worried about. I think he needs to be in the top six to be effective at even strength. Yet, I'm not sure he is good enough yet to be given a top 6 spot. I agree he probably won't be all that great with Bones. He seems to be in a weird gray area.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
This is what I'm worried about. I think he needs to be in the top six to be effective at even strength. Yet, I'm not sure he is good enough yet to be given a top 6 spot. I agree he probably won't be all that great with Bones. He seems to be in a weird gray area.

Exactly, and the gray area you are referring to is basically everything else about the game that he couldn't have possibly developed yet. He has an elite shot, but he is still a kid that has to figure out how to use it. The size difference in ice translates to 1 less stride a defender has to make to block his shot at the half wall.

I do think Bonino plays well behind the net, but overall just not enough possession with Smith and Bones to maximize what Tolvanen can do.

SauceMyBiscuit

Aug 22, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Not so hot take: I think Fiala could score 30 on a line with Forsberg and Johansen. I’d also love to see Arvy and Hartman on the same line. Lastly, I’d like to see Tolvanen get stronger on the puck and play top 6 minutes next year.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I should've been more specific. I meant is there reason to worry for this season? There has been a lot of hype for this kid. If he comes in and completely bombs that is not going to be good for his confidence.

I'm not too concerned because the team has their top 2 lines. He's a 3rd liner per projections and if he does rise up, GREAT! Patience. He would have to be a 25 goal/50 pt scorer in my mind for hims to live up to the hype.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Good. You want competition at all spots in the roster. That means you have great depth. I want to see Hartman or Tolvanen playing so well that they're pushing top 6 guys for their spots. I want to see Gaudreau and Salomaki trying to force their way into the lineup. I want to see Weber and Irwin and Bitetto competing with Hamhuis to get playing time.

But I want to see all these things because the lower level guys are playing that WELL, not because the upper-tier guys are playing that POORLY, haha.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Preds take a penalty with 2:30 left in the 3rd, classic play.
I have often wondered if that was by design, depending on the opponent. They can clear and take time off the clock, if the opponent is behind they'll probably pull the goalie. Somewhat of a calculated risk, but if you have a really good defense it just might work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad