WJC: Pre-Game Talk • CAN/RUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Russia has a shot for sure. Tarasenko and Kuznetsov have arguably been the two best players in the medal rounds. They have the fire power to push Canada. The key is the Canadian D. If Olsen and Cowen play like they did yesterday than it will be hard for Russia to get shots. But if guys like Olsen and Despres are weak with the puck, and weak handling Russian speed than its a close game

But if Canada plays their game, they will win no matter how good Russia is.

FanHabtic*

If Russia is able to play a total team game then this will be a competitive game. If they play like individuals (like they did at the Olympics) then it will be a walk over.

Russia may not have the depth that Canada does but when they play their trapping style of play it doesn't matter. They are difficult to play against when they are on their game regardless of how we handled them in the round robin.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Russia will be ready for the Canadian strategy of a heavy body attack and trying to intimidate the Russian's best players. This is a strategy that Canada has always employed - it hasn't changed over 30-40 years. Sometimes it has succeeded, sometimes it hasn't. From the posts I read, I think Canadians attribute too much of their success to the highlight reel hits they try to make, and not enough to the quality of the hockey skills of their players. In my opinion, 99% of the Canadian's success is a result of the fact that they have skilled hockey players, and the value of the macho physical game is way overblown. There are other teams that are about as big as the Canadians are, and the reason that they don't win is that, in most cases, is that they don't have the depth and quality of hockey skills that Canada has.

Usually, the Russians don't have the advantage of having played Canada early in the tournament. This year, that experience could help a lot in a second matchup. The Canadians threw the kitchen sink at Russia in the form of heavy hitting, so there's not much new to show the Russians in the way of a physical game. I'm hopefully optimistic that the Russians can make the adjustment and play much better this time.

Where I think you miss out in your analysis is the fact that aggressive physical hockey isn't just about the impact on the other team in terms of the physical toll and the possibilities for turning over the puck or hindering the other team's offense.

It's also about amping up the emotional quotient of the team and building team chemistry and intensity.

The bench gets excited when they see their fellow teammates make a big hit. It can also lead to a quicker forecheck that continues as lines change, drawing off the energy of the previous shift to keep it up. Plus, it can get the fans more involved.

As Bryzgalov put it in the 2010 Olympics, "they came at us like gorillas out of cages". The physical play was a catalyst for the speed and energy and the Canadian team then used their skills to put the puck in the net.

You can't win with physical play alone, but it can have a lot of benefits for the team that practices it that go beyond the obvious.

Obviously there are corresponding risks like putting yourself out of position or taking penalties, but that's all part of the equation.

Personally, I think Canada plays better when they can channel their emotional intensity in this way. I've noticed that the Finns can play this way as well at times.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
IMO This is Canada's to lose. They play their game they will win no matter what. Anything close to last night and Canada will win gold.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The one thing I'll say about Russia is that they seem to really have a "never-say-die" attitude this year and have no issues with facing down adversity.

That horrible penalty call at the end of the 3rd against Sweden was not followed by incessant whining but rather a commitment to evening up the score, which they summarily did.

What that means is that no lead is safe for Canada even if they come out strong.

Reminds me of that Russia team that won the WCs.

Russia is a much different team after the past few games than the one Canada faced in the round-robin. Hopefully there's no lingering complacency.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Where I think you miss out in your analysis is the fact that aggressive physical hockey isn't just about the impact on the other team in terms of the physical toll and the possibilities for turning over the puck or hindering the other team's offense.

It's also about amping up the emotional quotient of the team and building team chemistry and intensity.

The bench gets excited when they see their fellow teammates make a big hit. It can also lead to a quicker forecheck that continues as lines change, drawing off the energy of the previous shift to keep it up. Plus, it can get the fans more involved.

As Bryzgalov put it in the 2010 Olympics, "they came at us like gorillas out of cages". The physical play was a catalyst for the speed and energy and the Canadian team then used their skills to put the puck in the net.

You can't win with physical play alone, but it can have a lot of benefits for the team that practices it that go beyond the obvious.

Obviously there are corresponding risks like putting yourself out of position or taking penalties, but that's all part of the equation.

Personally, I think Canada plays better when they can channel their emotional intensity in this way. I've noticed that the Finns can play this way as well at times.

Good analysis as usual Yakushev, and good reply here. At the Olympics our players weren't ready to face the gorilla-like rush, and we looked completely out of place. I guess seeing world-class players like Malkin and Kovalchuk and Ovechkin wandering around the ice preying not to get trucked was priceless for you Canadians as much as it was terrible for us.
But this time we experienced that already - in the round robin - and we showed that we can make through it. This definitely closes the gap, imho.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If Canada hits the ice with this mind-set they are screwed. But I don't really think they will start the game thinking they are up 5-0

If they come out and play their style, no one can stop them. Look at what they did to the U.S last night! Absolutely smashed them in the mouth. It was a beating of a lifetime. If it wasn't for Campbell we would've won 6-1 or 7-1. Sorry to break it to you, but if we play like that tomorrow, no matter what Russia does, they are not winning.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev72

NyQuil,

Assuming that is a correct quote from Ilya Bryzgalov, I don't interpret it to mean the same thing that you do. I think Bryzgalov was referring more to the intensity, hustle and desire of the Canadian team, rather than necessarily the heavy hits. I don't really remember heavy hits as much I remember the Canadians outhustling and outworking the Russians. Any time one team wants victory more than the other, assuming they are of comparable capability, the hard working team will win. If Canada comes out on fire and Russia is not well equipped to weather the storm, then yes, the Russians are in trouble, as in the Olympics. But after having played Canada the first time, I believe the Russians know exactly what Canada's strategy will be, and what they have to do to overcome it.

StillAlive

Nov 1, 2006
there are no upsets here...these were the top four teams expected to get this far. Can-Rus 4 2, Swe-US 2 1... or the other way around.

tdunks

Sep 8, 2007
I think my fellow Canadian brethren are far too confident. This si the gold medal game, this should not be a 5-0 game. I predict a 1 maybe 2 goal differential for EITHER team. I also predict that this will be one hell of a game to watch. I know I'll be there, in the first row watching the game.

Go Canada!

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
Something a Russian coach told me after watching a game once- "Sometimes, it's not how the team plays, its how the other team lets them play..."

I highly doubt after watching this Russian team, that they will let the Canadians walk all over them. Whether its physically, psychologically or otherwise.

I do like all the Canadians underestimating the Russians- they thrive on being underdogs and surprising. Keep up the talk - Canada 5 - 0 Russia! It worked out great for Finland, Sweden

But Sweden and Finland aren't Canada. I'm not going to be arrogant, not intentionally anyway. But you can't just say "Don't count Russia out, we will come back like always." Your ability to come back could very well depend on Canada's ability to defend. If they defend like they did against USA, it'll be hard for Russia to claw back for a third game in a row. If they defend like they did against Sweden, it won't be hard at all.

The thing is, both of these nations are at an emotional high. Russia has overcome two big opponents in overtime/shootout and are very happy with themselves. Canada just did what they set out to do, and that's stick it to the Americans. Visentin is looking extremely solid, but Shikin scares me too. Kuznetsov, Kitsyn, Tarasenko etc. could tear it up. On the other side, so could Schenn, Johansen, etc. It's going to be a great team and nobody should be underestimated.

edit: I don't usually guess scores because anything can happen, but for the sake of guessing..

4-3 Canada, Regulation.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think my fellow Canadian brethren are far too confident. This si the gold medal game, this should not be a 5-0 game. I predict a 1 maybe 2 goal differential for EITHER team. I also predict that this will be one hell of a game to watch. I know I'll be there, in the first row watching the game.

Go Canada!

Do you blame us for being confident? If we win tomorrow it'll be 6 championships in the past 7 years. Unitl someone beats us more then once every decade I will continue to be confident in our boys. No disrespect to Russia, they have proven a lot in this tournament.

Pyke*

Do you blame us for being confident? If we win tomorrow it'll be 6 championships in the past 7 years. Unitl someone beats us more then once every decade I will continue to be confident in our boys. No disrespect to Russia, they have proven a lot in this tournament.

While I agree Canada is the favourite tomorrow, I think we're re-writing a history a bit if we don't consider just how lucky Canada was to win some of those games over that five year streak. Obviously Canada has consistently produced elite talent for the better part of the last twenty years at this tournament, but that's not to say we have any better shot of winning a single game than the Russians do. Anything can happen in a one game, winner take all situation.

That said, I do think it's completely fair to consider that Canada is not Finland (much as I respect them) or Sweden (despite them beating us). Canada is deeper at most positions, and ultimately bad goaltending and team defense did us in in the Round Robin against the Swedes. I thought Ryan Getzlaf's message to Team Canada was pretty apt after Sweden's win: "Sweden won their Gold Medal on New Years Eve. Now you have to go out and win yours." I suspect it was a (thinly) veiled reference to how things worked out at the Olympics between Canada and the U.S.A., but it seems relevant to how Sweden ultimately performed against Russia. Further, if they hadn't gotten robbed on the 2nd goal Russia scored, it's possible Sweden would have still won that game.

Additionally, and this is the big thing, when Canada played the United States in that semi-final, they played a textbook game. Clean, hard hits. Smart, short, tape to tape passes. Solid backchecking and cycling. Superb goaltending. If Canada plays like that against Russia (a way they did not play against Sweden or Russia in the Round Robin), Russia is not going to win tomorrow.

Can Russia win? Yes. Is Russia a good team? Yes. Does Russia deserve to be in the Medal Round? Yes. I'm not really taking away from the Russians with my comment, I just think it's the Canadian's who will dictate the outcome of this game (either win, or loss).

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Canada should be a slight favorite, IMO. They will have "home ice" advantage, despite being in the US. They won the pool game reasonably soundly and have a better record over recent years. But it's foolish to write off the Russians. They have some extraordinarily skilled players and in a single elimination game, a hot goalie can steal any game. Moreover, the Russians will have some psychological advantages as the underdogs over a Canadian team that might begin to feel the burden of expectations that it carries. The Russians have done better than most folks predicted already and will probably feel little pressure tomorrow. Both teams will have to watch for the possibilty of a letdown after a very good semifinal.

Is it known if there are any late injury problems?

I expect it to be a one goal game either way.

FanHabtic*

I say Canada is the underdog. After all the Ruskies beat the Swedes who are the self-proclaimed giant killers! ;)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
NyQuil,

Assuming that is a correct quote from Ilya Bryzgalov, I don't interpret it to mean the same thing that you do. I think Bryzgalov was referring more to the intensity, hustle and desire of the Canadian team, rather than necessarily the heavy hits. I don't really remember heavy hits as much I remember the Canadians outhustling and outworking the Russians. Any time one team wants victory more than the other, assuming they are of comparable capability, the hard working team will win. If Canada comes out on fire and Russia is not well equipped to weather the storm, then yes, the Russians are in trouble, as in the Olympics. But after having played Canada the first time, I believe the Russians know exactly what Canada's strategy will be, and what they have to do to overcome it.

Fair enough, but with Canada, one comes with the other.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Canada is a definite favorite if they go up early (and they usually do). If they don't, Russia can pull off another upset, although I seriously doubt they will.

As to the 3-7 loss: it wasn't the Canadian intensity that killed Russia (although it certainly didn't hurt), it was their strategy, tactics, and total inadequacy of the Russian staff.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
The Russians taunted the Swedes after the upset last night. IMO the Swedes got what they deserved!

100% TRUE. Sweden coach has a big mouth. Sweden Team complains too much. Swedish goalie blames refs and pulls Canada into his complaints. Sweden says USA is the biggest threat in pre-tournament interviews.

When will Sweden stop complaining. The only disappointment I have is that the Canadian's didn't hit the Swedes hard enough.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Quite honestly I think he got a bit carried away by the victory and was a bit to honest and candid. I still don't believe he said what he did to actually disrespect Canada.

Finally some honesty from a Swed. Are there more of you out there? Cause right now your hockey team and coach are a disgrace to this sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad