WJC: Pre-Game Talk • CAN/RUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
I want Russia to win, but this Canadian team is good. Really good.

Russia will get out-hustled, out-physical'd, and out-coached.

Canada, 5-2 (after an empty netter).

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
Sometimes the truth hurts, deal with it!
He's not gonna tiptoe around, not to hurt the Canadians feelings.

They did deal with it, they used it as ammunition. Hockey's an emotional game, and sometimes the truth is used (intentionally) to stoke those emotions. Politicians, lawyers, diplomats... all masters of knowing when and when not to speak the truth, to control the emotions of others. Pay attention to another truth: Canadians aren't whining about the words of the Swedish coach, they're thanking him. He essentially threw some coal into the Canadian furnace.

Talus

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

if you wanna talk classless look no further than the Canadians: http://translate.google.se/translat...2277180/ronnberg-hanad-av-kanadensiska-ledare

maybe and i mean maybe a non North American team can play a tournament and keep their mouth shut about Canadian hockey.

it's mostly the Russians and the Swedes who will say that we will beat Canada they are ordinary not much of a threat.

it never fails, it comes back to bite you-you lose.

the Swedish coach is the perfect example.

FanHabtic*

if you wanna talk classless look no further than the Canadians: http://translate.google.se/translat...2277180/ronnberg-hanad-av-kanadensiska-ledare

LOL! So let me get this straight. The Swedish press are writing stories about Canada's "leaders" who allegedly scoffed at them and mocked them in the wake of the loss?

Do you realize that this is hockey we are talking about? There is no crying in Hockey! What is your obsession with Canada? Why the jealousy?

And who are these "leaders"? Prime Minister Harper? :laugh:

Bottom line: When you win you don't disparage the team you beat. Period! When you lose, you don't cry about it.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
maybe and i mean maybe a non North American team can play a tournament and keep their mouth shut about Canadian hockey.

it's mostly the Russians and the Swedes who will say that we will beat Canada they are ordinary not much of a threat.

it never fails, it comes back to bite you-you lose.

the Swedish coach is the perfect example.

No one has ever said such a thing. :facepalm:

And how would it "come back to bite" Rönnberg? Sweden lost to the same Russian team he talked good about.

FanHabtic*

No one has ever said such a thing. :facepalm:

And how would it "come back to bite" Rönnberg? Sweden lost to the same Russian team he talked good about.

What compelled Ronnberg to even make the comments that he did after beating Canada? What was the point of it? He clearly was out to rub salt in the wounds. The comments he made served no other purpose but to kick a team after it was down. That is what "rubbed" Canadians the wrong way. Whether it was true or not is irrelevant. The timing of the comments was in bad form and classless.

It would be like Team Canada's coach stating that the Americans were totally overrated in the wake of the win last night. You don't rub salt in the wounds.

The Russians taunted the Swedes after the upset last night. IMO the Swedes got what they deserved!

FanHabtic*

And the Canadian press are writing stories on how the Swedish team is stuck up and thinks canada sucks.
There. No more crying.

The Canadian media commented on the poor show of sportsmanship exhibited by the Swedish coach in the wake of his win. They in no way made any statements about the Swedish team being stuck up or sucking. That is a figment of your imagination.

If anything the Swedish team was overconfident and the Swedish coach arrogant and classless just as certain Russian players who were taunting the Swedes after their win.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
The Canadian media commented on the poor show of sportsmanship exhibited by the Swedish coach in the wake of his win. They in no way made any statements about the Swedish team being stuck up or sucking. That is a figment of your imagination.

Read his comment again.

FanHabtic*

Read his comment again.

Clearly you have missed the point. If you don't understand the point i'm making then you will never get it. Ronnberg basically stated that the Canadians posed less of a test than the Russians or Czechs. A statement that should have been left unsaid in the wake of his victory. Obviously humbleness is not a quality prized by certain Swedes.

AE

May 10, 2010
Ronnberg basically stated that the Canadians posed less of a test than the Russians or Czechs.

That isn't equal to "the Canadian sucked" as you and your bandwagon is trying to claim he said.

It could very well mean that the Canadian were very good a somethings but not as good in others compared to a more "evenly good" russian och czechs.
That the swedes were tested in less areas of the game..
It's you and your medias arrogance who preceded it in this way, and that to me is classless..

Leaders yeah sure, it was the prime minister :sarcasm:
Doing it again... making stuff up as you go along. blame google translate

Yes, i'm obsessed and jealous of your arrogance and classlessness, can you teach me to be like you?:help:

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Again, read my statement.

Ok.

You clearly didn't read his post right. He said that the Canadian media, in a manipulative manner, is trying to set Sweden up as 'bad guys' who're stating that Canada sucks (and clearly you're one of those that have been successfully manipulated). Notice how I never say anything bad about team Canada in my own comments, I'm simply defending team Sweden from the constant barrage of criticism that gullible people like you are forcing on us as a result of this whole thing.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
What compelled Ronnberg to even make the comments that he did after beating Canada? What was the point of it? He clearly was out to rub salt in the wounds. The comments he made served no other purpose but to kick a team after it was down. That is what "rubbed" Canadians the wrong way. Whether it was true or not is irrelevant. The timing of the comments was in bad form and classless.

It would be like Team Canada's coach stating that the Americans were totally overrated in the wake of the win last night. You don't rub salt in the wounds.

The Russians taunted the Swedes after the upset last night. IMO the Swedes got what they deserved!

Quite honestly I think he got a bit carried away by the victory and was a bit to honest and candid. I still don't believe he said what he did to actually disrespect Canada.

FanHabtic*

That isn't equal to "the Canadian sucked" as you and your bandwagon is trying to claim he said.

It could very well mean that the Canadian were very good a somethings but not as good in others compared to a more "evenly good" russian och czechs.
That the swedes were tested in less areas of the game..
It's your and your medias arrogance who preceded it in this way, and that to me is classless..

Leaders yeah sure, it was the prime minister :sarcasm:
Doing it again... making stuff up as you go along. blame google translate

Yes, i'm obsessed and jealous of your arrogance and classlessness, can you teach me to be like you?:help:

The mere fact that you can't see the fall-out of Ronnberg's statement doesn't surprise me at all. Whether he meant it or not it was a sleight to the Canadians. It didn't take the Canadian media to highlight that. The Canadian coach sat there dumbfounded. He couldn't believe that Ronnberg felt the need to make that unnecessary statement.

AE

May 10, 2010
The mere fact that you can't see the fall-out of Ronnberg's statement doesn't surprise me at all. Whether he meant it or not it was a sleight to the Canadians. It didn't take the Canadian media to highlight that. The Canadian coach sat there dumbfounded. He couldn't believe that Ronnberg felt the need to make that unnecessary statement.

He said the same thing in swedish in the swedish media and they didn't say anything about it.

Same thing last year, MPS made a comment in swedish about the Canadians. Taken out of context and directly translated by the Canadian media, and became a big thing.

Again, you choose what you want to hear, and it's quite obvious what you want to hear....

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
He said the same thing in swedish in the swedish media and they didn't say anything about it.

Same thing last year, MPS made a comment in swedish about the Canadians. Taken out of context and directly translated by the Canadian media, and became a big thing.

Again, you choose what you want to hear, and it's quite obvious what you want to hear....

I want to hear how the Swedes do in the Bronze medal game.... and then I want to hear how the Canadians do in the Gold Medal game!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
i wasn't upset with the Swedish coach's comments. i just thought it was a very dumb comment to make. As a matter of fact I was happy he made it. I knew Cameron was going to use it to motivate his team.

If it was the gold medal game sure go ahead and speak your piece and rub the Canucks' noses in the loss but after a preliminary game where you won by a goal and in a shootout on top of that, any coach with half a brain would have congratulated his opponents on their great play - even if he didn't believe it. You don't give your opponents any reason to motivate themselves. Especially when there's a good chance you may see that opponent again - when it really matters.

Also, after a win where your opponent's goalie wet the bed and your best goalie did practically the same but was only slightly better, after such a win, you take it and shut your mouth. It's only common sense you don't give your opponents any reason to feel insulted.

I agree many Canadian fans are arrogant & smug when it comes to hockey but I noticed that Swedes have got a complex when it comes to Canada. The Swedish goalie's comments after the Russian loss came out of nowhere. Even when they don't play Canada, they find some reason to drag us into the argument. You don't get this nonsense from the Finns or the Americans.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Wow...lots of *****ing and moaning still going on in these threads between Canadians and Swedes. Both games should be fun to watch...I'm curious regarding the USA/Sweden games. I wonder if both teams will experience a let down or if they will go all out for bronze.

GM17*

I heard from the Canadian media that Sweden got what was coming to them after being so stuck up and saying Canada sucks.

Oh wait, no they just played the video of the Swedish coach speaking English saying that Canada was an easy win.

You can make up your own mind whether or not that's poor sportsmanship.

Not to mention the not-google translated interview with the Swede goaltender bringing Canada's name through the muck after the icing call vs Russia. WEIRD!

You're right AE and co. absolutely. We're classless and barbaric.

Vladiator16*

Clearly you have missed the point. If you don't understand the point i'm making then you will never get it. Ronnberg basically stated that the Canadians posed less of a test than the Russians or Czechs. A statement that should have been left unsaid in the wake of his victory. Obviously humbleness is not a quality prized by certain Swedes.

Would you get off your high horse already… Are players like Pronger, Cormier, Avery, Brian Burke (Bob Clarke in the past) and the list goes on and on Canadian? Do they exemplify Canadian “humbleness� C'mon man, let it go… As you said hockey is an emotional game, maybe some stuff shouldn’t have been said, and maybe some got lost in translation, you know Swedes coaches 1st language probably is not English… and you can’t seriously sit here and say Canadian players don’t **** the bed with occasional fo-pas, it happens… but media and fans totally blew this thing out of proportions.

I wanted to wish you a good luck on Wednesday, but the way you guys looked last night against the US I don’t think you really need it…
Go Russia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad