WJC: Pre-Game Talk • CAN/RUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
It's a one game winner take all....anything can happen. Both teams have given themselves a chance and that's all players ask for.
As a Canadian I'll cherish a win.... but you know making the Championship game 10 years in row that's something in itself
Go CA-NA-DA.

Charlie Milles*

Since Sweden won their last gold medal, in 1981; Canada has won 15, Soviet Union/Russia has won 8 and Finland, Czech Republic and the United States have all won 2.

Wow.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
One game, anything can happen. Either goalie is capable of falling apart or stealing the game. Both teams have players capable of scoring a hat trick or crippling their team with a major penalty. Can't wait!

jordan7hm

Aug 31, 2007
Canada wins 6-1. Game isn't even close.

(what better time for overconfidence than hours before a game you have no actual stake in beside wanting your country to win)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No Lehner today in the Bronze Medal game? That's surprising, I was hoping to see how he'd respond.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
One of the things I remember from the Cold War 72 series (yes I'm that old) was that the Soviets played like a machine and that the Canadians allowed individuals to shine.
Now the Canadians are bent on 2 way players and playing a system and the Russians want individual effort and flash.
Interesting how times have changed.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
No Lehner today in the Bronze Medal game? That's surprising, I was hoping to see how he'd respond.

Really?

My predictions for key players for this game for Sweden, then:

Erixon - Needs to step up again to show leadership like he has done for most of the tournament, because he wasn't that noticable against Russia.
Lander - Has had a good tournament so far in my opinion, hoping to see more of him offensively.
Carl Klingberg - Has played with a ton of energy throughout the tournament, hoping to see more of that for this game.

From the U.S. squad... Campbell, maybe Coyle (I'm a Sharks fan) and... ?

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think USA will be really discouraged after their loss and might not show up for this game.

They were expected to challenge for Gold (and probably would have if Canada didn't come out with a superhuman performance against them), whereas Sweden probably expected to win Bronze behind USA and Canada anyways.

I still want to see USA win though. Campbell deserves a medal.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think Canada and the U.S will win. Sweden doesn't even have Lehner in net. Kind of strange considering you would rather win a medal then not, no matter the colour. Sweden could still win but by the looks of it they aren't into it. U.S will want a medal especially being at home.

Canada over Russia 4-2
U.S over Sweden 3-1

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think USA will be really discouraged after their loss and might not show up for this game.

They were expected to challenge for Gold (and probably would have if Canada didn't come out with a superhuman performance against them), whereas Sweden probably expected to win Bronze behind USA and Canada anyways.

I still want to see USA win though. Campbell deserves a medal.

If Coach Allain has the room at all, the U.S. will come out ready to compete.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I think Canada and the U.S will win. Sweden doesn't even have Lehner in net. Kind of strange considering you would rather win a medal then not, no matter the colour. Sweden could still win but by the looks of it they aren't into it. U.S will want a medal especially being at home.

For those that have followed both Canada and USA, has the Canadian fans been the loudest?

Do you expect a lot of fans to be interested in the bronze medal game or does it feel somewhat anticlimactic?

I'm hoping the Swedish players haven't lost interest in this tournament after missing the final, as I think playing against the reigning champions (obviously with many different players this year) should mean something.

Charlie Milles*

Maybe Lehner's being benched for the post game interview? Or is he hurt?
The Swedes benching Lehner for being arrogant and classless? If they'll react to that at all, they do so by reward Lehner with a jersey retirement ceremony and a national postage stamp.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
What a great ****ing day for hockey fans that don't have to do anything.

My schedule:

1) Watch some U17 gold medal game repeat or something (By the way, any notable prospects to keep an eye on?)
2) Watch bronze medal game
3) Watch gold medal game
4) Watch HBO 24/7
5) Watch Pens game

Oh lordy.. I need to pace myself. :laugh:

Analyzer*

While Canada is definitely the team to beat, I don't agree. Yeah it comes down to will, but grit? If we are 3-3 and Kuznetsov dekes past half of Canadian defense and scores like he did with Finland, then skills might decide a game too.
However, Canada is the team to beat, but this doesn't mean that the game starts with Canada up by 5 goals by default like some posters keep on saying.

He didn't score, someone put home the rebound ;)

Who says 3-3, Schenn, or Leblanc, or Couturier, or someone on team Canada doesn't do the same ?

It'll be a physical game. I hope no Canadian gets hurt because some Russian players duck out of the way.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
For those that have followed both Canada and USA, has the Canadian fans been the loudest?

Do you expect a lot of fans to be interested in the bronze medal game or does it feel somewhat anticlimactic?

I'm hoping the Swedish players haven't lost interest in this tournament after missing the final, as I think playing against the reigning champions (obviously with many different players this year) should mean something.

There will be a lot of Canadians at the game because it's like a warm-up for the gold medal game. It also passes the time, allows fans to drink and have a good time, and I think they will be rooting for the U.S it should be exciting. Obviously not as exciting as the later game but they will still be loud IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad