WJC: Pre-Game Talk • CAN/RUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kremelin Wall*

I'm glad my favourite hockey "feud" is "main eventing". I feel Russia has shown more heart than any other team at this tournament, so I will not be disappointed if Canada loses to them. The only team I wanted to beat has been beaten. Also I hope Sweden beats the States so I may gloat to my American amigos.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There's no stopping Canada, Russia has some good karma going on right now, but Canada is too fast, too strong, too big, and just the better team. Canada will win it's 6th gold in 7 years. And I hope the U.S destroy Sweden.

pouskin74*

There's no stopping Canada, Russia has some good karma going on right now, but Canada is too fast, too strong, too big, and just the better team. Canada will win it's 6th gold in 7 years. And I hope the U.S destroy Sweden.

too sexy,too smart,too eager for bedroom action:laugh:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'm glad my favourite hockey "feud" is "main eventing". I feel Russia has shown more heart than any other team at this tournament, so I will not be disappointed if Canada loses to them. The only team I wanted to beat has been beaten. Also I hope Sweden beats the States so I may gloat to my American amigos.

Russia has been very resilient in the medal round. Coming back late in both games was very impressive.

Can/Rus game in the prelims was a 3-3 game after 2 periods. Canada got a couple of PP's in the 3rd and won the game.

Canada has a slim 4-3 margin over the Russians in the gold medal game since they went to this Elimination format.

Should be a barn burner.

As for the Swedes and Americans, depends who can get back up for this game.

I'm taking the Swedes. If the Swedes watch the replay of the "Icing" call, they will see that the Linesman at the Swedish Blueline waved off the icing. But, because of the angle with which the puck was coming off the boards, the puck came very close to goal, so Lehner had to keep an eye on it. Unfortunately, for Lehner, the linesman at the Swedish Blueline was on the opposite side of the ice (Lehner's right) while the puck was to his left. The linesman at the Russian blueline signaled for icing and he was to Lehner's left. But the Linesman at the Swedish Blueline has final call on the Non-Icing and he waved it off.

Just a case of bad luck for the Swedes with the position of the linesman and the trajectory of the puck off the boards. Probably should have been icing, but the linesmen did wave it off.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Russia's defencemen made a huge amount of mistakes against Finland. If they play against Canada as poorly as they did against Finland, Canada will have an easy ride to the Gold. Finland did not really have enough offensive skills to capitalize on Russia's mistakes. Canada will be a different story.

The only thing keeping Canada from winning this game is their nerves. They seemed very jittery against Switzerland and if this happens in the gold medal game, Russia has a chance.

pouskin74*

Russia's defencemen made a huge amount of mistakes against Finland. If they play against Canada as poorly as they did against Finland, Canada will have an easy ride to the Gold. Finland did not really have enough offensive skills to capitalize on Russia's mistakes. Canada will be a different story.

The only thing keeping Canada from winning this game is their nerves. They seemed very jittery against Switzerland and if this happens in the gold medal game, Russia has a chance.

they allways have a chance! depends on them.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I'm so torn about this game.

On one hand I really don't want Canada to win, since a lot the posters on this forum are about as smug and arrogant as can be. On the other hand I don't want Russia to win either after taunting and flipping the Swedes off after the shootout last night.

Sweden clearly was the better team during the majority of the game against Canada, and that game could've easily ended up 5-1 if Lehner hadn't **** the bed.

Against Russia, Sweden were asleep during the first 40 minutes, and dominated the last period + overtime. And even though they were an embarrassment during the first two periods, they still outshot Russia with 20 shots in the game, and hit the goalpost twice (and once in the shootout) along with some extraordinary saves by the Russian goaltender.

My heart says: I was dreaming and the final is actually between Sweden vs USA;)

But my mind says that Russia won't have anything left in the tank for this one.
5-1 Canada.

Sep 19, 2008
I hope this game is as good and competitive as Game 1 of the WJ's.

Canada barely wins gold.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Go Russia

Go USA

Doubt Russia has even a remote chance of beating Canada though. One can only hope.

AE

May 10, 2010
Hoping for a "new version" of the wjc 1987 and that Sweden wins the 3:rd place match and gets the Gold =).

Some (most) Canadian posters arrogance => GO ROSSYIA (sp?)

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
People screaming here for an easy win for Canada are seriously wrong. There is huge difference between Russian team that played Canada in the their opening game and the team that won against Sweden last night. This difference is in team play. We always had a plenty of skill in our lineup, however, playing as a team was the main problem over the years. I expect strong defensive play with only few chances. Something like 3:2 in favor of Canada or Russia.

FanHabtic*

On one hand I really don't want Canada to win, since a lot the posters on this forum are about as smug and arrogant as can be. On the other hand I don't want Russia to win either after taunting and flipping the Swedes off after the shootout last night.

Sweden clearly was the better team during the majority of the game against Canada, and that game could've easily ended up 5-1 if Lehner hadn't **** the bed.

Against Russia, Sweden were asleep during the first 40 minutes, and dominated the last period + overtime. And even though they were an embarrassment during the first two periods, they still outshot Russia with 20 shots in the game, and hit the goalpost twice (and once in the shootout) along with some extraordinary saves by the Russian goaltender.

My heart says: I was dreaming and the final is actually between Sweden vs USA;)

But my mind says that Russia won't have anything left in the tank for this one.
5-1 Canada.

Posters on this forum don't hold a candle to the Swedish coach and commentators in terms of smugness and arrogance.

I'm not sure what the Swedes have against Canada but their true colors showed in this tournament. After a big win the Swedish coach rubs salt in the wound with his comments in the post-game, while sitting next to the Canadian coach. Even their commentators scream out "Take that Canada". After a heartbreaking loss, the Swedish goaltender whines about the refereeing and makes an off-hand comment about how this could never happen if the game involved Canada.

The Swedes got what they deserved. They didn't play a full 60 minutes against the Russians. They didn't play from whistle to whistle. They were over-confident and it showed. One win over Canada is the highlight of the tournament for the Swedes but losing the bronze will be the reality of this Swedish team.

Go USA!

Macman

May 15, 2004

The Russians did the same thing to the Canadians after winning the gold in 2003 and to the Americans in North Dakota in 2005. There is much to admire about Russian players but the arrogance that often shows up makes it very difficult to like them.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Posters on this forum don't hold a candle to the Swedish coach and commentators in terms of smugness and arrogance.

I'm not sure what the Swedes have against Canada but their true colors showed in this tournament. After a big win the Swedish coach rubs salt in the wound with his comments in the post-game, while sitting next to the Canadian coach. Even their commentators scream out "Take that Canada". After a heartbreaking loss, the Swedish goaltender whines about the refereeing and makes an off-hand comment about how this could never happen if the game involved Canada.

The Swedes got what they deserved. They didn't play a full 60 minutes against the Russians. They didn't play from whistle to whistle. They were over-confident and it showed. One win over Canada is the highlight of the tournament for the Swedes but losing the bronze will be the reality of this Swedish team.

Go USA!

Another troll? Again, the swedish coach ONLY said that they were tested harder in the games against the russians and czech. Why can you not just take that when it was evidently true? Do we have to bow down to your "almighty-ness"? Say how you were the better team and that we were just very lucky?
Lehners comment was about how he thought the referees would have held higher standards. Lander only said he thought USA was the team to beat as they were the latest champions. But you took it like "The only team we have to worry about is USA, the rest we can take, canada sucks!"..
I used to think it was the canadian media who bent words to make headlines, but it honestly seems like some canadians actually belive this crap.

I think Canada will win this one fairly easy.
SWE-USA.. depend on if the teams are motivated or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->