Speculation: Potential Offseason Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
So then why do you have Trouba, Jones, and Murray over him? Absolutely no way was Jones (or any of those three) better than Josi last season.

That's a pretty pathetic list, tbh. As far as ranking defenders right now, I take Josi ahead of Trouba, Jones, Murray, Faulk, Hjalmarsson, Staal, Yandle, Letang, Green, Phaneuf, and Vlasic.

Tied with EJohnson, Kronwall, and (maybe) Fowler.

Saying he's not in the top 20 right now is a monumental stretch.

I agree with everything except those 4 guys.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
So then why do you have Trouba, Jones, and Murray over him? Absolutely no way was Jones (or any of those three) better than Josi last season.

That's a pretty pathetic list, tbh. As far as ranking defenders right now, I take Josi ahead of Trouba, Jones, Murray, Faulk, Hjalmarsson, Staal, Yandle, Letang, Green, Phaneuf, and Vlasic.

Tied with EJohnson, Kronwall, and (maybe) Fowler.

Saying he's not in the top 20 right now is a monumental stretch.

He's not definitively better than any of those players. Give me a break. Like I said, Josi is HF's newest man crush. He's a number three playing behind Weber and Jones. Pardon me for not taking players the same age or younger already playing in bigger roles. It's the same **** with Shattenkirk.

Letang was a Norris candidate 12 months ago.
Faulk is a number one defenseman and an Olympian.
Trouba put in the best rookie season of a defenseman since Phaneuf's Calder year.
Staal has been the Rangers second best defenseman, and he's damn close to McDonagh in terms of importance.
Hjalmarsson and Vlasic might be the two best shutdown defensemen in the league.
Andy Greene is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league, and is huge for the Devils.

Yandle's the only guy it might be close on.

Last edited:

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
HFBoards policy: If you're over 30 years old you're useless.

it's much more than that, here what i built my opinion on:

1-How much are they better than Josi.
2-How much are they older than Josi.
3-What is Josi potential.
4-Would he be able to be a better player than X player in the future.
5-Josi Contract/Other Dman contracts.
6-What are the Flyers plans for the next 2-5 years.
7-Team core age (Couturier:21,Giroux:26,Voracek:24,Simmonds:25,Schenn:22,Mason:26)

Hope this helped you understand why i would take Josi on the Flyers and consider him more valuable(For Flyers) than those guys.

Ah yes, youth equals better. The list was for current defensemen, not who'll be better five years from now. It also helps that Josi plays on one of the best defensive units in the entire league. Josi is HF's newest young guy crush.

you just posted that you would take Trouba,Murray,Jones over Josi and you gonna tell me that crap :laugh: ,

Youth equal more valuable for a young team that need some major pieces or time to become a contender.

and you people would say no without hesitation to a deal like this: Couturier for Kesler/Spezza/Staal/Sedin.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

7-Team core age (Couturier:21,Giroux:26,Voracek:24,Simmonds:25,Schenn:22,Mason:26)

Hope this helped you understand why i would take Josi on the Flyers and consider him more valuable(For Flyers) than those guys.

The OP was talking about players now & how good they were in general not trade candidates so none of that really matters.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Hey guys, Canucks fan coming in peace.

Wondering about a foundation of

Hamhuis for Voracek

for a trade.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Hamhuis for Voracek

for a trade.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Nope, I have no interest giving up our top possession player who's entering his prime & is on a good contract for a 31 year old defensemen who's similar to what we have in Braydon Coburn.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

you just posted that you would take Trouba,Murray,Jones over Josi and you gonna tell me that crap :laugh: ,

Youth equal more valuable for a young team that need some major pieces or time to become a contender.

and you people would say no without hesitation to a deal like this: Couturier for Kesler/Spezza/Staal/Sedin.

You are fighting a uphill battle. I just went thru it.

For ability TODAY, Cap hit and length, and age, I 100% have Josi in my top 30. And as I said, MOST people had him between 17-25. I am glad that you realize his value AND see that if we sit and wait for the kids, we waste our "all might F core" for 2-4 years.

IF we are really going to do nothing to improve our D except wait for prospect, then we might as well trade Giroux for a monster haul, trade Voracek, L.Schenn, Grossmann, Coburn, Hartnell and Vinny. Only keep the guys who are signed or RFA's in the next 3-4 years.

EVERYONE talks how Edmonton has no D. Most of their best prospects are on D:Marincin, Nurse, Klefbom, Gernat, Musil. They have talent at F. And EVERYONE talks how they are built backwards because the D is coming up after the F. And that is why people say they should trade a F for a top D. WE ARE IN THE SAME SITUATION! We just have a deeper F to do a deal and we are overall better.

I don't want to waste the next 2-3 years of this good F core while we wait and HOPE that prospects work out...or NOT.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
The OP was talking about players now & how good they were in general not trade candidates so none of that really matters.

well i wasn't debating whether they are available or not and what would be the cost to get them.

Guys I would take over Josi

I was debating are they going to be a better fit for the the Flyers or not(would you take Player A or Palyer B) and that list of players in some way it will contradict something: i would take the older and better guy over young guy with pot(ex:Phaneuf over Josi)
or i would take the young guy with pot over the old and better guy(Jones over Josi).

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
He's not definitively better than any of those players. Give me a break. Like I said, Josi is HF's newest man crush. He's a number three playing behind Weber and Jones. Pardon me for not taking players the same age or younger already playing in bigger roles. It's the same **** with Shattenkirk.

Letang was a Norris candidate 12 months ago.
Faulk is a number one defenseman and an Olympian.
Trouba put in the best rookie season of a defenseman since Phaneuf's Calder year.
Staal has been the Rangers second best defenseman, and he's damn close to McDonagh in terms of importance.
Hjalmarsson and Vlasic might be the two best shutdown defensemen in the league.
Andy Greene is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league, and is huge for the Devils.

Yandle's the only guy it might be close on.

"Playing behind Jones"

Yeah, okay. If you really believe that, my bet would be that you don't watch Nashville or Josi often enough to have an educated opinion on him. So I don't think I should bother responding to the rest of your post.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm looking forward to swiping Raphael Diaz out from under the noses of the Rangers. Not really even sure why the Canadiens or Canucks traded him, but at least the Canadiens have had a productive player.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
well i wasn't debating whether they are available or not and what would be the cost to get them.

I was debating are they going to be a better fit for the the Flyers or not(would you take Player A or Palyer B) and that list of players in some way it will contradict something: i would take the older and better guy over young guy with pot(ex:Phaneuf over Josi)
or i would take the young guy with pot over the old and better guy(Jones over Josi).

He was strictly talking about their play right now nothing else.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
"Playing behind Jones"

Yeah, okay. If you really believe that, my bet would be that you don't watch Nashville or Josi often enough to have an educated opinion on him. So I don't think I should bother responding to the rest of your post.

Yeah, as in he didn't get to ride shotgun to Weber. Jones led his own pair... as a teenager... without the best defenseman in the world.

RJ8812*

Hamhuis for Voracek

for a trade.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

is Hamhuis an early 20 year old defenseman with potential to be a #1?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Lets just say Marleau really is available. What would everyone be willing to give up to get him? He would look good on the Flyers!

Nothing of value. We are trying to build a team. Trading any young player or picks makes no sense. He is 34 years old and makes 6.9 million. People need to accept that the Paul Holmgren era is over.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

Hamhuis for Voracek

for a trade.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

We had Hamhuis once. He chose not to play here. He dug his grave to Vancouver, he can suck it up and dig his way out.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We wouldn't do that either. We are going to wait for 2-5 years and hope we actually develop a productive dman.

Don't be all upset just because some people want to be patient instead of impatient and overpay for someone who isn't a legit #1. Inaction is better than a stupid action.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
You are fighting a uphill battle. I just went thru it.

For ability TODAY, Cap hit and length, and age, I 100% have Josi in my top 30. And as I said, MOST people had him between 17-25. I am glad that you realize his value AND see that if we sit and wait for the kids, we waste our "all might F core" for 2-4 years.

IF we are really going to do nothing to improve our D except wait for prospect, then we might as well trade Giroux for a monster haul, trade Voracek, L.Schenn, Grossmann, Coburn, Hartnell and Vinny. Only keep the guys who are signed or RFA's in the next 3-4 years.

EVERYONE talks how Edmonton has no D. Most of their best prospects are on D:Marincin, Nurse, Klefbom, Gernat, Musil. They have talent at F. And EVERYONE talks how they are built backwards because the D is coming up after the F. And that is why people say they should trade a F for a top D. WE ARE IN THE SAME SITUATION! We just have a deeper F to do a deal and we are overall better.

I don't want to waste the next 2-3 years of this good F core while we wait and HOPE that prospects work out...or NOT.

That's drastic but there's a grain of truth in it: forwards nowadays peek in the mid twenties (at least scorers do) but defensemen mostly do not hit their prime until they are in their late twenties. Our young D prospects are about 5 years behind in development already... so all in all we are screwed if we have to wait on them carrying the defense!

We can try to get them on the roster in support roles within the next couple of years but we still need Coburn/Streit/AMac/Grossmann or someone better acquired via trade to eat the minutes and cover up for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad