Speculation: Potential Offseason Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
Flyers have a substanital offseason to-do list. They need a No. 1 defenseman, a scoring winger, a backup goaltender and more speed. The Flyers could look at free agent Matt Moulson or possibly even Bobby Ryan. Would Matt Moulson satusfy as a "scoring winger"? Who would be top candidates for a #1 defencemen and what would it take?

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
I dont think we NEED a #1 dman. But if Coburn, Streit, AMac, Schenn are all paired amongst each other, then I think we should get a defensive defenseman to replace Grossmann and to pair him with Ghost or Gus.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
how about boyle on a 2 yr deal?? if he leaves san Jose i think he'd be a great player to look at, he could help the defense

Would love to see Dan Boyle in Flyer orange don't think SJ will resign him after the disastrous playoffs.

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
I would like Vanek or Cammalleri for the top line LW spot. I just dont think that Moulson is fast enough.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Radim Vrbata for the scoring winger....unless we can afford Ryan Callahan

#1 defenseman won't be filled because none are available.* Dan Boyle will be closest to it and I wouldn't be surprised if the Flyers go after him. I also still want Nikita Nikitin.

* IF he's on the block, I'd explore what it'd take to get Shattenkirk here.

Al Montoya as backup goalie unless WPG keeps him to start. Many WPG fans seem to think Pavelec may get bought out.

edit: Wasn't it a forgone conclusion that Vanek will be in Minnesota next season? I'm shocked people are even considering him as an option.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There was a report that the Flyers were interested in Cammy last year I believe. If so I don't see how that would change considering he scored 26 goals & put up 45 points in 63 games on a bad Calgary team this year. He also played in LA when Hextall was there.

He may be small but he's still a good player despite it & is very clutch. He would also likely come cheaper than Vanek.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Read what San Jose fans think of Boyle. He has really dropped off since that bad concussion. For one year $4 million Kimmo might be better. At least he can kill penalties.

I'd like Montoya or Greiss as the backup.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Read what San Jose fans think of Boyle. He has really dropped off since that bad concussion. For one year $4 million Kimmo might be better. At least he can kill penalties.

I'd like Montoya or Greiss as the backup.

Glad someone brough it up. If Im not mistaken Boyle was demoted to the 3rd pairing because he looked tired and slow. He plays as a 4 now adays. Maybe on the same level as Timonen. DEFINITELY not an upgrade though.

Vrbata is my choice as a forward. Guy has always been underrated. Played on a non offensively minded team and always put up points.
He likes it with the yotes though so I doubt he leaves.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
Wouldn't mind Vanek, not a big Cammy fan. Trade for Kesler? Wouldn't mind Gustavsson, Halak or Nabokov (if healthy).

Last edited:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
on defense.

1. first call Homer should make should be to the Blues, see if they'd be willing to move Shattenkirk. a lot of Blues fans think it may be time to move him to upgrade their forwards. question is does their management feel the same way?

2. sign Niskanen. still young, fast, mobile. could help replace Timonen if he retires.

3. Boyle. not a huge fan, but could be an okay replacement for Timonen if he retires as well. but I wouldn't go more than a year or two, and we all know Homer, he'd likely offer him something stupid like a 5 year deal. so it might be best to avoid him.

not many other options for defense. i'd say make a strong push for Stattenkirk if he's available or Niskanen as a UFA. otherwise go with the kids to fill in the gaps.

forwards.

we definitely need a sniper to play with Giroux. options are...

1. Ryan. I know some will say just wait until next summer to sign him, but if the Sens can't sign him, they will trade him. and the team that trades for him will do everything they can do extend him long term. he'll be a rental, and if Vanek went for only a 2nd rounder and a prospect, I can't imagine Ryan would be more than that. he could be had at a decent cost. Homer definitely has to at least call Murray about it.

2. Cammalleri. I like this option as well. the guy can still score, and as long as Homer doesn't overpay, could be a nice fit on the left side.

3. Vrbata.

4. Vanek. would be higher if it weren't for what he'd probably cost.

5. Callahan. would be a great fit, but likely Vanek. might be too expensive.

if Ryan and Shattenkirk aren't available. i'd be happy if Homer just added Cammy and Niskanen.

Cammalleri/Giroux/Voracek
Hartnell/Schenn/Simmonds
Raffl/Couturier/Read
Akeson/Laughton/Rinaldo

Streit/McDonald
Niskanen/Coburn
Schenn/Gus

trade Grossmann for picks. and of course there's the Vinny problem. Homer needs to get him to waive his NTC and send him packing. he's nothing more than a 4th liner on this team now.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Having Ryan playing on G's wing sounds nice, but ideally I'd like to have somebody faster. It's not a huge deal on that line, but it would just be nice to have more "plus" skaters around the lineup.

I wonder if a deal could be swung for Giordano? I like Cammalleri, too, but Giordano would make our defense look a LOT better going into next season. I don't really know what Calgary's dealing with at the moment, so I don't know what they'd want in return, or if they'd even entertain the idea, but...

Giordano - Coburn
Streit - MacDonald
Timonen - Gostisbehere / Gustafsson / L. Schenn

That's a pretty good looking defense to me.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
Having Ryan playing on G's wing sounds nice, but ideally I'd like to have somebody faster. It's not a huge deal on that line, but it would just be nice to have more "plus" skaters around the lineup.

I wonder if a deal could be swung for Giordano? I like Cammalleri, too, but Giordano would make our defense look a LOT better going into next season. I don't really know what Calgary's dealing with at the moment, so I don't know what they'd want in return, or if they'd even entertain the idea, but...

Giordano - Coburn
Streit - MacDonald
Timonen - Gostisbehere / Gustafsson / L. Schenn

That's a pretty good looking defense to me.

I'd get rid of Coburn and Grossman.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd get rid of Coburn and Grossman.

Why Coburn? Ideally you would want to bring in another high pairing defender to soften the burden off Coburn since he's the teams best defender.

If you have to include him to get an upgrade in another defender than I understand but it doesn't sound like that's what you're hinting at when you list him with the likes of Grossmann who's dead weight.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
on defense.

1. first call Homer should make should be to the Blues, see if they'd be willing to move Shattenkirk. a lot of Blues fans think it may be time to move him to upgrade their forwards. question is does their management feel the same way?

2. sign Niskanen. still young, fast, mobile. could help replace Timonen if he retires.

3. Boyle. not a huge fan, but could be an okay replacement for Timonen if he retires as well. but I wouldn't go more than a year or two, and we all know Homer, he'd likely offer him something stupid like a 5 year deal. so it might be best to avoid him.

not many other options for defense. i'd say make a strong push for Stattenkirk if he's available or Niskanen as a UFA. otherwise go with the kids to fill in the gaps.

forwards.

we definitely need a sniper to play with Giroux. options are...

1. Ryan. I know some will say just wait until next summer to sign him, but if the Sens can't sign him, they will trade him. and the team that trades for him will do everything they can do extend him long term. he'll be a rental, and if Vanek went for only a 2nd rounder and a prospect, I can't imagine Ryan would be more than that. he could be had at a decent cost. Homer definitely has to at least call Murray about it.

2. Cammalleri. I like this option as well. the guy can still score, and as long as Homer doesn't overpay, could be a nice fit on the left side.

3. Vrbata.

4. Vanek. would be higher if it weren't for what he'd probably cost.

5. Callahan. would be a great fit, but likely Vanek. might be too expensive.

if Ryan and Shattenkirk aren't available. i'd be happy if Homer just added Cammy and Niskanen.

Cammalleri/Giroux/Voracek
Hartnell/Schenn/Simmonds
Raffl/Couturier/Read
Akeson/Laughton/Rinaldo

Streit/McDonald
Niskanen/Coburn
Schenn/Gus

trade Grossmann for picks. and of course there's the Vinny problem. Homer needs to get him to waive his NTC and send him packing. he's nothing more than a 4th liner on this team now.
we don't have what the blues would require. We have no young NHL forwards other than Schenn to deal. Other teams can trade better for him.

Niskanen is too pricey, show me more than one year for what he will get.

If people think Kimmo is too old, Boyle is no better.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Why Coburn? Ideally you would want to bring in another high pairing defender to soften the burden off Coburn since he's the teams best defender.

If you have to include him to get an upgrade in another defender than I understand but it doesn't sound like that's what you're hinting at when you list him with the likes of Grossmann who's dead weight.

Agreed.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Hoping he revamps the entire defense. Outside of MacDonald and Streit, I wouldn't be shocked to see anyone else off the team next year.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
1. bobby ryan is pretty overrated and does not suit our needs. He is pretty slow and is really not known for gaining entry into the zone. Our offensive problems at even strength don't come from lack of goal scorers it comes from lack of ozone time at even stength. Since we have the slowest collection of centers in the league we need wings who are fast a la voracek in order to gain zone entry.

2. We need a good backup goalie. I think we lost home ice because emery was such a dropoff from mason.

3. The flyers had the most expensive d this year and for what? We need to stop looking for quick fixes and either put together a package for a number 1 or draft guys we think can be top pairing guys.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
Im a Canuck thru and thru but my favorite team outside Vancouver has always been Flyers. Mainly because he is from the same small town as my parents. Always been a Flyers fan

First thing they should do is finally fire Holmgren and promote Hextall. Flyers need a fresh voice and Homer has messed this team up year after year by seemingly selling the farm for the big name.

-How would the Flyers look with JVR still on the team?
-There is a reason Vinny was bought out and Homer signs him for how much and how long?
-Flyers went to the cup final then trade away Richards/Carter? Thise 2 have Olympic gold and cup rings now....how is that trade workin out?
-BryzPuzzle?
-Tossing Bobrovski away?

The list goes on and on with colossal blunders

If you want a top youngish defenseman.....Edler is here for the taking

B.Schenn
1st

Should cover Edler....heck we even toss in Hansen. Great on the forecheck and excellent penalty killer and wheels of steel.....just dont expect him to score

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

B.Schenn
1st

Should cover Edler....heck we even toss in Hansen. Great on the forecheck and excellent penalty killer and wheels of steel.....just dont expect him to score
we are not dealing our first in when the Draft is in philly.

Also, I don't like edler.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Im a Canuck thru and thru but my favorite team outside Vancouver has always been Flyers. Mainly because he is from the same small town as my parents. Always been a Flyers fan

First thing they should do is finally fire Holmgren and promote Hextall. Flyers need a fresh voice and Homer has messed this team up year after year by seemingly selling the farm for the big name.

-How would the Flyers look with JVR still on the team?
-There is a reason Vinny was bought out and Homer signs him for how much and how long?
-Flyers went to the cup final then trade away Richards/Carter? Thise 2 have Olympic gold and cup rings now....how is that trade workin out?
-BryzPuzzle?
-Tossing Bobrovski away?

The list goes on and on with colossal blunders

B.Schenn
1st

Edler is not a top defenseman anymore. He has a chronic back injury and he just had an even worse season than Vinny. We have no interest in bailing the Canucks out of his contract. The fact you want BSchenn and our first for him is ****ing hilarious.

Vinny was bought out because his contract in Tampa had seven years left to run at $7.7 million with likely cap recapture penalties.

What Richards and Carter have done with Kopitar, Quick and Doughty leading the way is irrelevant. They weren't going to win a Cup here. Their Olympic record is even less relevant and Richards won his gold medal when he was still a Flyer anyway. Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds and BSchenn was a more than fair return. You would have to be completely ignorant of what those four players have done in Philly to label that trade a colossal blunder.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
What kind of contract is Camalleri looking at this offseason? I wouldn't mind bringing him aboard but I wouldn't want to overpay in cap or years. I would rather have someone who is younger and can be signed long term to play with Giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad