Postponed Games Thread

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They need to make it so that if you can't ice a covid-negative team on the night the game is scheduled, you lose.

Then maybe players will follow protocol.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Guerin said they followed ALL protocol to a T. Initially, Foligno tested positive. He was the only one. The league isn't gonna cancel a game when one player is positive on a team. But the damage was done considering these guys shared a bench. It took several days and negative tests before all of the others starting testing positive. There is that window of time when a person can be infected, but not know it. How else is a team suppose to handle that?

And the gap between tests needs to be addressed.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Nice job, NHL. :facepalm:

EDIT: It's official. NHL done f***ed up royally not postponing the two NJ/BUF games last weekend:

the NHL needs to Shut the season down. how is that they feel this is reasonable to do, they are messing with the players, officials, team staff and everyones family members safety and well being.

despite the pandemic only being younger than 16 months old, science has already proven that Covid can have negative effects that linger, how long they linger remains to be seen. It could be for the rest of peoples lives, I work in health care and am an educator in the ED, OR, ICU and more. The staff and Doctors I connect all indicate that they would be shocked if covid does not have permanent damage to the lungs

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
the NHL needs to Shut the season down. how is that they feel this is reasonable to do, they are messing with the players, officials, team staff and everyones family members safety and well being.

despite the pandemic only being younger than 16 months old, science has already proven that Covid can have negative effects that linger, how long they linger remains to be seen. It could be for the rest of peoples lives, I work in health care and am an educator in the ED, OR, ICU and more. The staff and Doctors I connect all indicate that they would be shocked if covid does not have permanent damage to the lungs

Both the NFL and MLB had covid outbreaks that looked bleak at their respective times but they were both able to pull off their seasons without having to shut the whole thing down, despite people calling for them to do so.

The NHL will get through this as well.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

I agree about canceling the season, but if you're talking about canceling it because covid can do a permanent damage to lungs, forget it. They still sell cigarettes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Guerin said they followed ALL protocol to a T. Initially, Foligno tested positive. He was the only one. The league isn't gonna cancel a game when one player is positive on a team. But the damage was done considering these guys shared a bench. It took several days and negative tests before all of the others starting testing positive. There is that window of time when a person can be infected, but not know it. How else is a team suppose to handle that?

And the gap between tests needs to be addressed.
In the NFL since they play once a week, they trace the close contacts, thus when a WR tested positive, they typically isolated the remaining WR away from the team as they are all in the same meetings. NHL is going to be different.

The concern is that one positive test could lead to a couple more, and with the virus being delayed by 4-5 days, you don't want to risk spread to the other team.

Reactions: BernieParent

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Why haven't the players (at least in the US where there isn't a supply issue) been vaccinated yet if they're going to be going around the country playing games?

The NHL doesn't worry about optics with other stuff but THIS is where they do? You need to protect your assets at the end of the day, that means getting them vaccinated so you stop getting games cancelled constantly. What are they gonna do, wait for half the country to receive the vaccine before vaccinating players so that it doesn't 'look bad'?

Reactions: AbsolutelyNot

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Why haven't the players (at least in the US where there isn't a supply issue) been vaccinated yet if they're going to be going around the country playing games?

The NHL doesn't worry about optics with other stuff but THIS is where they do? You need to protect your assets at the end of the day, that means getting them vaccinated so you stop getting games cancelled constantly. What are they gonna do, wait for half the country to receive the vaccine before vaccinating players so that it doesn't 'look bad'?

Because saving lives of front line workers, seniors and LTC are more important at the moment.

Tvillewr419

May 17, 2019
Blues Coyotes are just gunna play the reminder of their seasons against each other.. good for the yotes as they have been Blues kryptonite for a couple years now and blues are def fighting it right now, not to diminish AZ at all, they look much improved

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

why are we not having an issue with postponements in Canada? there's a clear delineation between how serious our countries are handing the issue of COVID.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
Are postponed games really going to be made up? I really see the league trying to get every team to 48ish games and that will be "good enough".

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
It will be very interesting to see if any Canadian teams end up on protocol. If they make it through the season; I would be curious to know what additional protocols they wanted..

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan

waaaaah

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I apologize if this isn't the right thread. Probably more Vegas postponements coming up and maybe Ducks as well.

Off for 10 days cause of Covid. Play 3 games. Most likely will again be off for a couple of days cause of covid.

No way do will some teams be able to play a full schedule.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Off for 10 days cause of Covid. Play 3 games. Most likely will again be off for a couple of days cause of covid.

No way do will some teams be able to play a full schedule.
If that’s the case they need to cut games for other divisions and teams who seem to going along ok. If it gets to a point before the end of February that the nhl knows that they can’t get every team to 56 games then they should cut it off at 54/52/50 or whatever. And adjust a schedules to accommodate.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If that’s the case they need to cut games for other divisions and teams who seem to going along ok. If it gets to a point before the end of February that the nhl knows that they can’t get every team to 56 games then they should cut it off at 54/52/50 or whatever. And adjust a schedules to accommodate.

As a Knights fan, i just hope the lake Tahoe game is not in jeopardy. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad