Postponed Games Thread

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
If this keeps up some teams will have to play a many more back to back games than other teams.

Dunno how it will all play out at the end but the Sabres have 3 more back to back games now because of the rescheduling (11 total now).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm guessing when all is said and done most teams in the US will need to make up some games and the NHL will push the start of the playoffs a week or so. Meanwhile Canada will be sitting on their hands.
Not necessarily. North division can begin their playoffs sooner than the US divisions if needed. Can play every other day or give extra days off between games if needed rather than have them sit idle for 7-10 days. They just need to go at a slower pace for rounds 1 & 2 in order for the US divisions to catch up for round 3.

But, the US divisions may need to play some back to back games to catch up.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
All I will say is this: The National Lacrosse League-which also plays their games indoors-has shown a lot more common sense than the NHL has during this matter. Recently, they decided to not even start the 2020-21 season. The league went through many scenarios(including a bubble season in Canada), but ultimately circumstances(including travel and quarantine restrictions in Canada)prevented a season from happening.

In a just world, the NLL would pick up some fans and the NHL would lose some from how they handled COVID.(I should note that I've been a long-time fan of indoor lax, having had season tickets for the Buffalo Bandits for well over a decade.)

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
All I will say is this: The National Lacrosse League-which also plays their games indoors-has shown a lot more common sense than the NHL has during this matter. Recently, they decided to not even start the 2020-21 season. The league went through many scenarios(including a bubble season in Canada), but ultimately circumstances(including travel and quarantine restrictions in Canada)prevented a season from happening.

In a just world, the NLL would pick up some fans and the NHL would lose some from how they handled COVID.(I should note that I've been a long-time fan of indoor lax, having had season tickets for the Buffalo Bandits for well over a decade.)

The economic realitys of the NLL vs NHL makes this a dumb comparison. One of the widely reported reasons the league wanted to play so badly this season was that they wanted to burn the last year of their US tv deal. The amount of money they would be giving up by playing next year under the current deal vs what they will get was not something the league/owners were willing to sacrifice. They were going to do whatever they needed to play this season.

It is extremely unlikely that they will lose any fans because of the way they have handled Covid. They would be more likely to lose fans in Canada, but there have been almost no Covid issues with the Canadian teams who have had 0 games postponed and only a few cases of Covid among the players.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

That league likely knows how few fans are interested anyways. The NHL and the other three major sports knew what was at stake.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

lol, if the NLL even had like 25% of the NHLs TV contract, they would probably be playing. But it's an even more gate focused revenue league than the NHL, which is why they aren't playing. It's not because they are super geniuses about COVID prevention or whatever.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
lol, if the NLL even had like 25% of the NHLs TV contract, they would probably be playing. But it's an even more gate focused revenue league than the NHL, which is why they aren't playing. It's not because they are super geniuses about COVID prevention or whatever.

You're right; it IS more gate-focused than the NHL is. That said, at least THEY did some thinking...which, right now, is more than I can say about the NHL.

And you must have missed the paragraph that starts with "In a just world..."

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
The economic realitys of the NLL vs NHL makes this a dumb comparison. One of the widely reported reasons the league wanted to play so badly this season was that they wanted to burn the last year of their US tv deal. The amount of money they would be giving up by playing next year under the current deal vs what they will get was not something the league/owners were willing to sacrifice. They were going to do whatever they needed to play this season.

It is extremely unlikely that they will lose any fans because of the way they have handled Covid. They would be more likely to lose fans in Canada, but there have been almost no Covid issues with the Canadian teams who have had 0 games postponed and only a few cases of Covid among the players.

The reason behind your last sentence is simple: Because Canada took COVID a HELL of a lot more seriously than America has. And even they have had problems.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I just don't understand how this happens. Blackwood was the first... but then he was away from the team for a while so it seemed okay... then Zajac got it. At that point they should have shut down for a few days to make sure there was no spread.

The thing that blew my mind the most was Palmieri playing Saturday but then being put on the list and not playing 24 hours later. I knew then there was a problem.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I just don't understand how this happens. Blackwood was the first... but then he was away from the team for a while so it seemed okay... then Zajac got it. At that point they should have shut down for a few days to make sure there was no spread.

The thing that blew my mind the most was Palmieri playing Saturday but then being put on the list and not playing 24 hours later. I knew then there was a problem.

It may have already been too late, but the Sunday game should never have been played.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad