Post Deadline Transactions and Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I really can't come up with much for D either. The only thing I can realistically come up with, is new guy in Calgary looks for some flexibility to work out deals for Backlund, Hanifin, Kylington, and a bunch others at the end of next year, and decides to move Weegar, and we send back Brodie, plus something. At best that's a pretty thin trade idea.

But something around

Mo Schenn
McCabe Weegar
Gio Lilly
Timmins

Isn't a bad group at all. Some physicality, some offense...

I am 1.5 mil over the cap, with a 22 man roster with such a trade, and I'm not sure how to address it at the moment. Maybe Schenn takes $1.5 instead of $2, and we get RoR at $4.5 instead of $5, and run 21 man roster....

Bertuzzi Matthews Nylander
Knies RoR Marner
Comtois Tavares Jarnkrok
Lafferty McBain Acciari

D as above

Samsonov
Woll
I would target Weegar if he was valued according to his contract and not his current play. He has been a decent #2 defenseman for 3 seasons now which should fetch a lot but his contract runs until he's 37 which will be tough for the last 3-4 years. His value should be somewhere between #2 defenseman and a proactive cap dump. I'd do Nylander for him straight up or the 28OA+Robertson or Niemela.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I would target Weegar if he was valued according to his contract and not his current play. He has been a decent #2 defenseman for 3 seasons now which should fetch a lot but his contract runs until he's 37 which will be tough for the last 3-4 years. His value should be somewhere between #2 defenseman and a proactive cap dump. I'd do Nylander for him straight up or the 28OA+Robertson or Niemela.
I was thinking along the lines of Brodie + Robertson.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It Conroy views his contract as bad that might be enough but I doubt he does. I'd imagine a lot of teams would offer real value for him.

I'd do:

Weegar+Vladar+Duehr

for

Nylander+28OA

Then move off Samsonov in a separate deal.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
33 year old former Flame TJ Brodie with 1 year left on his $5 mil deal and the often injured Robertson is not going to get you Weegar who was a key piece in the Tkackuk trade don't forget. IMO

Flames let Brodie walk as a UFA years ago because they didn't want to pay him $5 mil and they signed Chris Tanev from Vancouver as his replacement @ $4.5 mil.

Weeger just lead Team Canada to Gold at the World Championships and was named as one of the best players in the tournament.

Reactions: Americanadian

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
33 year old former Flame TJ Brodie with 1 year left on his $5 mil deal and the often injured Robertson is not going to get you Weegar who was a key piece in the Tkackuk trade don't forget. IMO

Flames let Brodie walk as a UFA years ago because they didn't want to pay him $5 mil and they signed Chris Tanev from Vancouver as his replacement @ $4.5 mil.
I agree with all of this except the part about the Flame letting Brodie walk. Treliving let Brodie walk a season after he tried to trade him to the Leafs. Treliving is now with the Leafs. That doesn't necessarily mean Conroy values Brodie highly but it's a new leadership group than the one that let him walk.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree with all of this except the part about the Flame letting Brodie walk. Treliving let Brodie walk a season after he tried to trade him to the Leafs. Treliving is now with the Leafs. That doesn't necessarily mean Conroy values Brodie highly but it's a new leadership group than the one that let him walk.
Yup new management new ideas..

Treliving tried to pull a fast one and trade TJ Brodie for Nazem Kadri and Toronto would have done it, if not for Kadri nixing the deal with this NTC.

Then he let him walk away as UFA a year later. So Leafs new GM trying to deal Brodie away this summer would not come as surprise at all, just that the return for a 33 year old with 1 year remaining will not be high.

I'd trade Brodie back to Calgary for Chris Tanev, Mo Rielly and Tanev were very successful D partners of WC team that won Gold in 2016. Tanev is also a RHD were Brodie is a LHD trying to play the right side.

Treliving also inherited Giordano when he took the Calgary job and let him go in expansion to Seattle. When making his rounds at PC he said he was surprised to see 75 year old Gio still playing. So I can see both ex-Flames on the way out of Toronto this summer.

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Nashville is the team that might make sense for Nylander, they need scoring, win now. not sure of pieces Askarov would be an interesting long play for leafs, also like Fabbro

Maybe something like Sissons, Fabbro, and 15th or Ask

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I get that.. but those were Treliving's deals. The reason that they would move Weegar, is they need some cap flexibility moving forward, and feel his cap allocation, given his usage isn't warranted. Bringing in Nylander doesn't give them that cap space, when they have to extend Backlund, Lindholm, Hanifin, Kylington, and of course Nylander in this example next year, with very little cap room.

The whole reason to bring in Brodie, would be exactly because he only has one year left, because they would need that cap space, but still need a decent D man. Flames letting him walk, was also Treliving.

I get why you'd include Nylander, but he won't fit their cap, and makes the whole reason/need to move Weegar redundant. Sure, Nylander would be one of their top guys, but then they'd need to let Backlund or Lindholm walk... or trade them... I'm just not sure that's a fit.

Having said that.... Weegar + Backlund for Nylander + Brodie???? Whatever adds need to be done?

I also hadn't included Nylander in trades, as "allegedly" the big four wouldn't be moved.

So just for giggles.. you put in the Weegar + Backlund for Nylander and Brodie.

Now I have Matthews, Tavares, RoR, Backlund as C's. Plus McBain... Do you run Tavares Matthews Bertuzzi? Or do you not sign RoR and bring in a RW to play with Matthews... and who is that exactly? Kane? Killorn? I'd list Tarasenko, but his ask would likely be well above the $5 mil I'd have left..

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I really can't come up with much for D either. The only thing I can realistically come up with, is new guy in Calgary looks for some flexibility to work out deals for Backlund, Hanifin, Kylington, and a bunch others at the end of next year, and decides to move Weegar, and we send back Brodie, plus something. At best that's a pretty thin trade idea.

But something around

Mo Schenn
McCabe Weegar
Gio Lilly
Timmins

Isn't a bad group at all. Some physicality, some offense...

I am 1.5 mil over the cap, with a 22 man roster with such a trade, and I'm not sure how to address it at the moment. Maybe Schenn takes $1.5 instead of $2, and we get RoR at $4.5 instead of $5, and run 21 man roster....

Bertuzzi Matthews Nylander
Knies RoR Marner
Comtois Tavares Jarnkrok
Lafferty McBain Acciari

D as above

Samsonov
Woll

They have Tanev, Weegar and Andersson at RD, although Weegar can play LD but seems like a waste.

Conroy isn't married to Weegar and might not want him moving forward.

Andersson at his age won't be moved.

Tanev isn't likely a long term solution versus the under contract Weegar...so maybe if the price is right something can be done.

Not sure what would be a good cost for Weegar.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I get that.. but those were Treliving's deals. The reason that they would move Weegar, is they need some cap flexibility moving forward, and feel his cap allocation, given his usage isn't warranted. Bringing in Nylander doesn't give them that cap space, when they have to extend Backlund, Lindholm, Hanifin, Kylington, and of course Nylander in this example next year, with very little cap room.

The whole reason to bring in Brodie, would be exactly because he only has one year left, because they would need that cap space.

I get why you'd include Nylander, but he won't fit their cap, and makes the whole reason/need to move Weegar redundant. Sure, Nylander would be one of their top guys, but then they'd need to let Backlund or Lindholm walk... or trade them... I'm just not sure that's a fit.

Having said that.... Weegar + Backlund for Nylander + Brodie???? Whatever adds need to be done?

I also hadn't included Nylander in trades, as "allegedly" the big four wouldn't be moved.
None of it makes sense.. they have their flexibility coming.. i think tanev backlund toffoli zadorov and maybe more are all expiring. They have a decent goalie to trade in vladar even with his salary

They actually dont need to worry too much about flexibility moving forward - integrate pelletier and coronato this year and in theory they can replace some vets with those guys the year after

I dont think they need to trade away a 20 plus minute dman to make flexibility

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The whole reason to bring in Brodie, would be exactly because he only has one year left, because they would need that cap space, but still need a decent D man. Flames letting him walk, was also Treliving.

While I appreciate the reasoning from a Calgary perspective to free up cap space, but wouldn't you think Toronto would be the least likely team to want to take on that Weeger contract because of their own current Cap situation nightmare?.

Moving Nylander about to get his raise to $9-$9.5 mil on a team already with 3 X $11 mil players under contract and AM about to get his raise. While the allegedly rumour is circulating about wanting to keep the core 4 together I think they're going to price themselves out of Toronto. Turning Nylander's future cap into a top pairing Dman allocating money from forward to defense does make sense as cap management. I think it has to be an either/or situation but you can't afford both.

Matthews @ $13.5 (approx)
Nylander @ $ 9.5 (approx)
Tavares @ $11 mil
Marner @ 10.9 mil
Rielly @ $ 7.5 mil
Weeger @ $6.25 mil

When the Matthews and Nylander's new deals kick in in 2024-25 the Salary Cap upper limited is projected at $87,500,000 while those 6 player contracts above total $58,600,00 which would be a C.H.% of 67%. Leafs would only have $29 mil cap space total for 8 more forwards + 4 Dmen + 2 goalies + 2 spares. (16 players)

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
While I appreciate the reasoning from a Calgary perspective to free up cap space, but wouldn't you think Toronto would be the least likely team to want to take on that Weeger contract because of their own current Cap situation nightmare?.

Moving Nylander about to get his raise to $9-$9.5 mil on a team already with 3 X $11 mil players under contract and AM about to get his raise. While the allegedly rumour is circulating about wanting to keep the core 4 together I think they're going to price themselves out of Toronto. Turning Nylander's future cap into a top pairing Dman allocating money from forward to defense does make sense as cap management. I think it has to be an either/or situation but you can't afford both.

Matthews @ $13.5 (approx)
Nylander @ $ 9.5 (approx)
Tavares @ $11 mil
Marner @ 10.9 mil
Rielly @ $ 7.5 mil
Weeger @ $6.25 mil

When the Matthews and Nylander's new deals kick in in 2024-25 the Salary Cap upper limited is projected at $87,500,000 while those 6 player contracts above total $58,600,00 which would be a C.H.% of 67%. Leafs would only have $29 mil cap space total for 8 more forwards + 4 Dmen + 2 goalies + 2 spares. (16 players)
2 per guy.. we need 14 mccabes and jarnkroks

Reactions: Fogelhund

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think a big focus should be getting a guy up front who can play 2C as well. Monahan looks good in FA, or I wouldn't mind trade liljergren for a comparable centre (Morgan Frost from philly?)
Leafs have one in Ryan O'Reilly currently under contract until July 1st.. Might even get him re-signed for approx $5-5.5 mil.
BUT
Problem their handcuffed paying Tavares $11 mil and he is too slow and weak 5v5 that they may have to move him to the wing with less defensive responsibilities.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
My current roster:

Trades:

Weegar+Duehr+Vladar for Nylander+28OA
Colton for Jarnkrok (re-sign Colton 3Mx4)
Foegele for Lafferty
Samsonov for Petry+PIT 2024 2nd
Niederreiter for Brodie
Bastian for PIT 2024 2nd (re-sign Bastian 1.6Mx3)
Garland for Timmins

UFA:
Rodrigues 3.7Mx4
Schenn 1.55Mx2
Acciari 1.55Mx2

Screen Shot 2023-06-06 at 11.30.49 AM.png

Schenn, Holmberg as extra. Demote Murray to Marlies. 3.4M in cap space with extras/demotions. Murray comes up if Vladar/Woll can not handle split minutes.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs have one in Ryan O'Reilly currently under contract until July 1st.. Might even get him re-signed for approx $5-5.5 mil.
BUT
Problem their handcuffed paying Tavares $11 mil and he is too slow and weak 5v5 that they may have to move him to the wing with less defensive responsibilities.
Or third line perhaps, with some speedy guys.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Our defence doesn't need more #4-7s. We need a substantive #1-3 add with Muzzin retired and Brodie a declining rental.

What are we bringing in to hang with:
- Pietro/Theodore/McNabb
- Hedman/Sergachev/Cernak
- Ekblad/Montour/Forsling
- Slavin/Pesce/Skjei
- Makar/Toews/Byram
- McAvoy/Lindholm/Orlov

etc.

2+ years ago Rielly/Muzzin/Brodie was respectable, but now it's a problem. With the core getting raises and further bloating the team, idk how you solve this without one of them moving for a D. Next summer we'll be looking at Rielly/McCabe/??. Can't get to that.

That is why William Nylander about to get a +$2 mil raise dealt for a top pairing Dman makes the most sense for Toronto.

Nylander for Seth Jones or Zach Werenski or Ivan Provorov or Colton Parayko or John Carlson or Dougie Hamilton etc.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Trades aside; what targets would be available for us in FA that speak to what Treliving wants; tougher infront of their net and tougher infront of ours? We have around 16m in cap space, 20m with Murray gone.

Forwards;
Bertuzzi
Connor Brown ( hurt all last season, could be cheap)
Haula 3C
Kampf 4C

Defence;
Mayfield
Schenn

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Trades aside; what targets would be available for us in FA that speak to what Treliving wants; tougher infront of their net and tougher infront of ours? We have around 16m in cap space, 20m with Murray gone.

Forwards;
Bertuzzi
Haula 3C
Kampf 4C

Defence;
Mayfield
Schenn
I think tougher needs to be combined with quicker as well.. haula is the only forward there that kinda ticks both boxes.. he plays gritty hockey

I worry about mayfield being too slow with the way they play.. now if that changes he could work

Look at mcnabb with vegas.. he is like a molasses drip but the forwards support him very well so he can hang

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My current roster:

Trades:

Weegar+Duehr+Vladar for Nylander+28OA
Colton for Jarnkrok (re-sign Colton 3Mx4)
Foegele for Lafferty
Samsonov for Petry+PIT 2024 2nd
Niederreiter for Brodie
Bastian for PIT 2024 2nd (re-sign Bastian 1.6Mx3)
Garland for Timmins

UFA:
Rodrigues 3.7Mx4
Schenn 1.55Mx2
Acciari 1.55Mx2

View attachment 715587

Schenn, Holmberg as extra. Demote Murray to Marlies. 3.4M in cap space with extras/demotions. Murray comes up if Vladar/Woll can not handle split minutes.

I would try to limit yourself to 3-4 trades at the most.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Forwards;
Bertuzzi
Haula 3C
Kampf 4C

Defence;
Mayfield
Schenn
The UFA class is pretty bad. They should look at how Vegas is building a tough fast team: low value 22-25 year old acquisitions. Carrier, Howden, Roy, Kolesar were all acquired via trade before they were known NHL commodities.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I would try to limit yourself to 3-4 trades at the most.
Why? I want the Leafs to win, not ice the same looking teams we've seen continuously fail. The Leafs also have 5 holes up front right now which most likely won't all be resolved via UFA. Then you include the fact that Treliving appears to want to do a makeover on D and you'll most likely see a good chunk of trades this off-season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Why? I want the Leafs to win, not ice the same looking teams we've seen continuously fail. The Leafs also have 5 holes up front right now which most likely won't all be resolved via UFA. Then you include the fact that Treliving appears to want to do a makeover on D and you'll most likely see a good chunk of trades this off-season.

It's not NHL23

I get the desire for change etc but then think of how many realistic trades will actually occur in 1 off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia