Post Deadline Transactions and Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It's not NHL23

I get the desire for change etc but then think of how many realistic trades will actually occur in 1 off-season.
I didn't realize there was a limit to trades. I honestly think 7 trades is possible. There are a lot of holes to fill on the Leafs current roster - not to mention players currently on the team that maybe be moved.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's not NHL23

I get the desire for change etc but then think of how many realistic trades will actually occur in 1 off-season.
I mean these discussions are all fantasy anyway. What we discuss here has no bearing on what the Leafs will do anyway... so we discuss what we'd do, if we were GM.

I do agree, that many trades would be impossible to pull off though, but if that's what he wants to do... go for it.

@Americanadian I don't think the UFA class is that bad, for what we need. IMO, we need one top 6 Forward, some changes in the bottom six, and I would be surprised, if we had more than one different D man, than we currently have (including Schenn) The team is actually very good, but we need to find a way to playoff hockey. But, the reality is, if our stars can't find that way, what we surround them with, really doesn't matter. Matthews needs to be healthy and score most of all.

Reactions: Americanadian

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I didn't realize there was a limit to trades. I honestly think 7 trades is possible. There are a lot of holes to fill on the Leafs current roster - not to mention players currently on the team that maybe be moved.

If you can show me 7 player trades in 1-offseason, I would love to see it.

Not saying it's impossible, just improbable.

Reactions: Buds17

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville is the team that might make sense for Nylander, they need scoring, win now. not sure of pieces Askarov would be an interesting long play for leafs, also like Fabbro

Maybe something like Sissons, Fabbro, and 15th or Ask

All of our best young players or prospects are wingers. We're not moving our top prospects or our best pick in a draft we're hosting for another winger when we have Forsberg, Duchene, Evangelista, Tomasino, Kemell, Novak and Parssinen needing playing time.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Trades aside; what targets would be available for us in FA that speak to what Treliving wants; tougher infront of their net and tougher infront of ours? We have around 16m in cap space, 20m with Murray gone.

Forwards;
Bertuzzi
Connor Brown ( hurt all last season, could be cheap)
Haula 3C
Kampf 4C

Defence;
Mayfield
Schenn
ROR, Barbashev, Bertuzzi, Killorn, Tarasenko, Kane, Bunting, Domi, J.Staal, Foligno, Hathaway, Acciari, Zucker, Haula, Wood, Perry, Kampf

Mayfield, Gavrikov, Severson, Orlov, Dumba, Klingberg, Graves, Schenn, Gudas, Clifton, Soucy, Mikkola

If your looking for a top-9 forward or top-6 defenseman these would be names I would consider. Trades would have to be made for some names to make more sense, or they would have to come for less money.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
3 bargain bin, cost/effective, potential break-out guys:

Boris Katchook
Taylor Raddysh
Alex Formenton

Let me highlight something though.....ONLY if found innocent in their roles in the scandal.

Why these guys?

Cheap. Very small cap hit. We can probably obtain them at a reasonable cost too.

All three have a lot of size. Formenton is fast and scores. Raddysh is starting to score and reach his potential. Katchook is gritty and a gamer. Cheap middle 6 guys.

Another reason I'd target these guys is because the scandal has probably interfered with their hockey progress. If they're innocent, and it's behind them, I expect to see a psychological boost (and play boost) for these guys.

Of note, Katchook and Raddysh are childhood friends and often get traded together.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
@Americanadian I don't think the UFA class is that bad, for what we need. IMO, we need one top 6 Forward, some changes in the bottom six, and I would be surprised, if we had more than one different D man, than we currently have (including Schenn) The team is actually very good, but we need to find a way to playoff hockey. But, the reality is, if our stars can't find that way, what we surround them with, really doesn't matter. Matthews needs to be healthy and score most of all.
I think the UFA class is pretty bad for finding anything of value. Bertuzzi is probably the best player (age relative) and he will re-sign in Boston or get extremely overpaid in UFA. Bunting will get overpaid. The good defensemen (Orlov, Mayfield) will most likely get too much term. Graves has a chance to be a value signing but that's all I really see.

Reactions: andora

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Massive Toronto retool

Trades

1. Detroit receives Mitch Marner + TJ Brodie for Lucas Raymond + 9th overall + conditional 2024 1st if Detroit makes the playoffs.
2. Seattle receives William Nylander for Oliver Bjorkstrand + 20th overall
3. Boston receives 3rd round pick for Taylor Hall
4. Washington receives 5th round pick for Anthony Mantha

UFA/RFA signings

1. Ryan O'Reilly - $5M x 3
2. Carson Soucy - $4.5M x 5
3. John Klingberg - $4.5M x 3
4. Luke Schenn - $1.5M x 2
5. Ilya Samsonov - $3.5M x 2
6. Pontus Holmberg - $1M x 2

Matt Murray - buried in the AHL

Roster and Lineup

Knies - Matthews - Bjorkstrand
Hall - Tavares - Raymond
Jarnkrok - O'Reilly - Mantha
League minimum UFA defensive forward - Holmberg - Lafferty

McCabe - Klingberg
Rielly - Schenn
Soucy - Liljegren
Giordano

Samsonov/Woll

Logic - 3 duos with offensive ability in the top 9. Every d-pair has a strong puck mover, but also has a big defensive d-man.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
To Toronto-
Kempe
Clarke
Byfield

To Kings-
Marner
Brodie
I guarantee you if any Leaf player is going to the Kings, it will definitely be Matthews.
1686074049863.png

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Reactions: LeafSteel

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Anyone think Treveling could pull off a Robertson for Ryan McLeod trade? Might take some selling but i'm sure Edmonton wouldn't mind a player like Robertson playing next to McDavid or Draisatl who are 2 of the best playmakers in the league. McLeod imo could possibly be an option at 2C here and it wouldn't hurt if we could lock him up for some term at a reasonable cap hit. At worst he's a very good 3C or 3LW. Edmonton also worse than us with the cap and have Bouchard to sign who will take up all their cap and Kostin a RFA and some other UFAs they might want to keep around. Not a huge trade or anything but if Edmonton could get a guy who could fit in that top 6 perfectly for under 800K then why not do it and hope he stays healthy for a guy they might struggle to re sign being an RFA and not much cap. Again though, maybe they are very high on him and will make moves to free up cap but I don't see that being easy when guys like Campbell is taking up 5 mil with like 4 more years and Yamamoto would most likely be the casualty but even with him gone they only free up 3 mil. Read reports that Edmonton would most likely bridge Bouchard for 2-3 years which could be a mistake because he's already putting up more points than Nurse and Nurse got 9 mil and Bouchards numbers are just gonna get better being the #1 guy on the PP now. Just wishful thinking maybe because both McLeod brothers would be great adds imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia