RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024 Draft)

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Yakemchuk's potential is through the roof. I was put off by some of his games early in the year, where he made mistakes and I was worried about his defensive skating. But going by what Simon is telling us here, it seems Yakemchuk is progressing well. I don't see why he isn't talked about in the middle of the top 10.

Does anyone have games of his from the second half of the year that they can share here? There are no Yakemchuk games on youtube from after December.
You've said it, but I have a feeling this guy is going to put it together and be nasty to play against. I wouldn't be surprised at the shocker of ANA 3oa going for him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You've said it, but I have a feeling this guy is going to put it together and be nasty to play against. I wouldn't be surprised at the shocker of ANA 3oa going for him.

Huge RD - check
Takes too many penalties - check
Outrageous hands - check
Lots of anger - check
Will fight you over nothing - check

He's a Duck.

**certainly a Bob Murray Duck, not sure about Verbeek yet**

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
His highlights are impressive but I really wonder how much is ultimately translatable to the NHL. I think he will be average at best as an NHLer. Remember, this was his 3rd season in the WHL and he's one of the older players in the draft. He should have dominated. Add that his defense and skating are not NHL level and I'd be very leary of taking him in the top tier of players. And I'm a Ducks fan.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You need more than a hard shot to score goals from the blueline at the NHL level.

Nic Hague had 67 goals at the OHL level and he only has 15 goals through 277 games because he's not quite quick or smart enough to open up shooting lanes consistently.

Yakemchuk will probably be the same in that regard.
Just another doozy you're on fire but not in a good way.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
His highlights are impressive but I really wonder how much is ultimately translatable to the NHL. I think he will be average at best as an NHLer. Remember, this was his 3rd season in the WHL and he's one of the older players in the draft. He should have dominated. Add that his defense and skating are not NHL level and I'd be very leary of taking him in the top tier of players. And I'm a Ducks fan.

Yakemchuk is a late 05 birthday so even though this was his 3rd WHL season he still played against players up to almost three years older than him. Also don't forget he played on a poor team. Without Yakemchuk, that Calgary team would have been dead last in the WHL.

Yakemchuk is excellent defensively, just over aggressive at times stepping up for big hits or to create high danger chances. However, I'm sure that's what Hamilton asked him to do so this is coachable.

Yakemchuk is such an intriguing player because he can do it all. He not only has elite hockey IQ/vision, soft hands and a variety of hard, accurate shots but he can really hurt people with bone crunching hits and he can fight as well. Those players are extremely rare. He's a righty as well. He's nowhere near as safe of a pick as Dickinson but the upside is just crazy. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go top5.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yakemchuk is a late 05 birthday so even though this was his 3rd WHL season he still played against players up to almost three years older than him. Also don't forget he played on a poor team. Without Yakemchuk, that Calgary team would have been dead last in the WHL.

Yakemchuk is excellent defensively, just over aggressive at times stepping up for big hits or to create high danger chances. However, I'm sure that's what Hamilton asked him to do so this is coachable.

Yakemchuk is such an intriguing player because he can do it all. He not only has elite hockey IQ/vision, soft hands and a variety of hard, accurate shots but he can really hurt people with bone crunching hits and he can fight as well. Those players are extremely rare. He's a righty as well. He's nowhere near as safe of a pick as Dickinson but the upside is just crazy. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go top5.
All that you say is true and I want to like him more. I want to like him more than Levshunov (who is likely to be the Ducks pick). But I guess I just can't ignore that the scouts by and large just don't like him. McKenzie's recent rankings were a perfect example...one guy has him 4th and one 5th...but all the others not even in the top 10. He has so many good qualities that the rankings shouldn't be like that so I can only assume that his faults far outweigh his attributes. In YT highlights he looks better than Levshunov...but average fans seem to like him way more than scouts. I'd love to be a believer...help me in my disbelief!!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Next you’re going to tell me he has elite skating too.

I don’t dispute that Yakemchuk has elite potential (because guys with his profile and flaws can become stars like Burns and Byfuglien), but the mediocre defensive ability, average hockey IQ, and below average skating make him extremely risky. The player you paint a picture of is literally perfect and Yakemchuk is not that.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I don’t dispute that Yakemchuk has elite potential (because guys with his profile and flaws can become stars like Burns and Byfuglien), but the mediocre defensive ability, average hockey IQ, and below average skating make him extremely risky. The player you paint a picture of is literally perfect and Yakemchuk is not that.
His skating isn't great but adequate for a prospect of his size.
And no. I didn't paint a picture of a perfect player. All I said is that his upside is crazy. He's a unique prospect. He has the potential to be elite at literally everything except maybe skating. You're underestimating the player in many areas.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
IMO - Yakemchuk is mostly solid defensively but is blunder prone. Which is like Levshunov but without the inconsistent motor. I think between blunders he’s better defensively than Levshunov (who’s also blunder prone). Zayne Parekh is just a poor defender all-around. And he was physically dominated by SSM and London. Yakemchuk is not as good defensively as Silayev, but unlike Silayev he actually has puck skills. Yakemchuk’s stretch passes are amazing. And weve all seen the ankle breaking dangles. As much as I like Silayev, he’s mediocre with the puck on his stick.

I Yakemchuk him behind Buium and Dickinson, but interchangeable with Levshunov, and ahead of Parekh and Silayev.

Bob McKenzie’s latest scouting poll shows a clearly different opinion from mine. But I do wonder how up-to-date the rankings are. I’ll be interested to see the final poll ahead of the draft.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
All that you say is true and I want to like him more. I want to like him more than Levshunov (who is likely to be the Ducks pick). But I guess I just can't ignore that the scouts by and large just don't like him. McKenzie's recent rankings were a perfect example...one guy has him 4th and one 5th...but all the others not even in the top 10. He has so many good qualities that the rankings shouldn't be like that so I can only assume that his faults far outweigh his attributes. In YT highlights he looks better than Levshunov...but average fans seem to like him way more than scouts. I'd love to be a believer...help me in my disbelief!!
Yakemchuk is the defenseman with the highest upside and it only takes one team to take the risk for all rankings to become irrelevant. I think the only question mark is his skating. It's not great but in the WHL he does get to places. He'll need to work on it if he wants to be just as efficient in the NHL or even just other pro leagues like the AHL. I think his skating will determine to which degree he's gonna reach his potential. His skating is a valid concern but it, for me, is the only one. Again, many aren't taking into account the team he was on. To do that sort of stuff as a draft eligible player on a very young and inexperienced, often overmatched Calgary team is pretty crazy.

Reactions: JT3 and majormajor

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
His skating isn't great but adequate for a prospect of his size.
And no. I didn't paint a picture of a perfect player. All I said is that his upside is crazy. He's a unique prospect. He has the potential to be elite at literally everything except maybe skating. You're underestimating the player in many areas.
You said he has an elite shot, great physicality, high compete, and soft hands (all true), but also that he is elite defensively and has elite hockey IQ. He certainly has plus defensive potential because of his size and snarl, but he is not currently elite defensively. He could refine his decision-making for sure, but that’s built-in to the idea that his hockey IQ is solidly average.

Like I said, I definitely agree with the idea that he has the highest potential of any defenseman in the draft, I like the player. But he is not an elite defensive player and he doesn’t have elite hockey IQ. If his only flaw was his skating being just “adequate” for his size, he’d be a lock for 2nd overall and would challenge for 1st. I just don’t agree with that.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yakemchuk is the defenseman with the highest upside and it only takes one team to take the risk for all rankings to become irrelevant. I think the only question mark is his skating. It's not great but in the WHL he does get to places. He'll need to work on it if he wants to be just as efficient in the NHL or even just other pro leagues like the AHL. I think his skating will determine to which degree he's gonna reach his potential. His skating is a valid concern but it, for me, is the only one. Again, many aren't taking into account the team he was on. To do that sort of stuff as a draft eligible player on a very young and inexperienced, often overmatched Calgary team is pretty crazy.
I agree but then the question is...how high should he realistically go? Skating is a pretty big deal for a defenseman. I'd be really nervous to take him at 3OA despite that fact that he is a highlight machine.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
IMO - Yakemchuk is mostly solid defensively but is blunder prone. Which is like Levshunov but without the inconsistent motor. I think between blunders he’s better defensively than Levshunov (who’s also blunder prone). Zayne Parekh is just a poor defender all-around. And he was physically dominated by SSM and London. Yakemchuk is not as good defensively as Silayev, but unlike Silayev he actually has puck skills. Yakemchuk’s stretch passes are amazing. And weve all seen the ankle breaking dangles. As much as I like Silayev, he’s mediocre with the puck on his stick.

I Yakemchuk him behind Buium and Dickinson, but interchangeable with Levshunov, and ahead of Parekh and Silayev.

Bob McKenzie’s latest scouting poll shows a clearly different opinion from mine. But I do wonder how up-to-date the rankings are. I’ll be interested to see the final poll ahead of the draft.
I agree but most of Yakemchuk's blunders come from him stepping up, being over aggressive. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, he's just taking risks and frankly, in the WHL it does pay off for him more often that not. That is easily coachable.

Levshunov and Silayev are fine players and would probably excite me more in different draft years. Between all the Yakemchuk's, Buium's and Parekh's however they're just flat out boring. Objectively they're not but in comparison they are. Much like you I question their puck skills as well. They're probably pretty safe picks but if I'm a team looking for a safe pick I go Dickinson because I think there's more skill and more allround offensive upside to be had there.

I agree regarding Parekh though. All the speed and skill of this world but his positioning needs a lot of work. I'm not liking his motor much either. Him and Yakemchuk are probably the wild cards of this draft, at least among defensemen.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
You said he has an elite shot, great physicality, high compete, and soft hands (all true), but also that he is elite defensively and has elite hockey IQ. He certainly has plus defensive potential because of his size and snarl, but he is not currently elite defensively. He could refine his decision-making for sure, but that’s built-in to the idea that his hockey IQ is solidly average.

Like I said, I definitely agree with the idea that he has the highest potential of any defenseman in the draft, I like the player. But he is not an elite defensive player and he doesn’t have elite hockey IQ. If his only flaw was his skating being just “adequate” for his size, he’d be a lock for 2nd overall and would challenge for 1st. I just don’t agree with that.

Mentioned on the Ducks board, away from the puck Yak reminds me so much of Josh Manson. The skating, physical and mental makeup just appear very similar. Of course Yak has that whole other element of puck skills Manson has never shown.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree but then the question is...how high should he realistically go? Skating is a pretty big deal for a defenseman. I'd be really nervous to take him at 3OA despite that fact that he is a highlight machine.
His skating isn't great and a work in progress but it's adequate for his size. It's better than many say it is. It didn't hold him back one bit at WHL level. I made the comparison once already but Yakemchuk's skating is far better than Ekblad's back in the day. I know that that's comparing apples and oranges but still. It only takes one team to shoot for upside. And Yakemchuk is just the most exciting defenseman in this draft.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I think Yakemchuk's skating has traits of high end ability, but enveloping it with the 'elite' tag might not be fair.

He has a really powerful stride and his top speed is great, it just takes some pumps to get going.

He isn't Levshunov who can plant his foot once and explode up the ice, but I don't see skating being a dectractor in the evaluation process of Carter Yakemchuk.

He has a bit of that big guy syndrome where they look slower than they are due to less strides, but he's plenty quick. I've seen him get back and hawk attackers down on recovery plays a multitude of times this season. His lateral mobility is also very impressive. It makes him so lethal on the point with the puck on his stick. He's very nimble for being 6'3 ~200lbs.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR

I can see the Ducks taking Yak 3rd, along with Lev, Dickinson, Silayev or Buium. Good news is they have a great track record with D.

I just hope they go with who they think will be best player, rather than filling a need.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I can see the Ducks taking Yak 3rd, along with Lev, Dickinson, Silayev or Buium. Good news is they have a great track record with D.

I just hope they go with who they think will be best player, rather than filling a need.
Wouldn't surprise me if PV/Madden picked someone out of left field. If they see the potential in Yakemchuk then it's very possible that that's who they'll pick.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I watched a lot of WHL recently...way more than in previous seasons. I saw the majority of Calgary's games and I disagree with your assessment. Yakemchuk was very much Calgary's motor all season long. Everything was running through him when he was on the ice. He was driving possession, creating opportunities for his teammates like a mad man. He did a good job setting up teammtes, identifying space. He was also very good at making plays or holding onto pucks even with little or no space available. You can't do that without elite vision. Especially as a big man with limited mobility. He was a possession monster while hardly ever turning over pucks. That's a difficult thing to do even at WHL level. And it wasn't just onto the cycle that he was holding onto pucks. Y'all saw his dangles. Again, that's a tough thing to do as a big man.

Re his defense I explained my view already. He didn't just make stupid mistakes, he took risks. Risks he was probably even asked to take. Risks who paid off more often than not. That is important context.

Last edited:
Reactions: coooldude

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Some of us have gone back and forth on Yakemchuk. Earlier in the year he'd do things like crosscheck a guy instead of properly defending a 2 on 1. But I hear from Simon and Pronman and folks that Yak has improved his defensive game.

Pronman by the way also had Yak top 5, and his lists generally mimic NHL scouts very closely these days. You also have plenty of internet scouts who think Yakemchuk is a disaster, I don't think of it as a pro vs internet dichotomy.

Yakemchuk's defense in his zone is potentially high end. He boxes out a huge area, and is impenetrable when shutting down the cycle. He'll be terrifying to cycle against.

And the forward skating can be very fast, albeit noisy, all he needs is a few strides.

I think there is one skating issue and one defensive issue that are really the same thing. His first couple steps backward are too slow, he's vulnerable on the rush. David Jiricek is still dealing with the same problem, it's not easy to fix.

Re his defense I explained my view already. He didn't just make stupid mistakes, he took risks. Risks he was probably even asked to take. Risks who paid off more often than not. That is important context.

His coach said he's been trying to get Carter to understand that he has to think defensively (presumably he's talking about Carter needing to be more cautious in contested puck situations at the offensive blue line).

rt

May 13, 2004

I’m with you on most of this.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Some of us have gone back and forth on Yakemchuk. Earlier in the year he'd do things like crosscheck a guy instead of properly defending a 2 on 1. But I hear from Simon and Pronman and folks that Yak has improved his defensive game.

Pronman by the way also had Yak top 5, and his lists generally mimic NHL scouts very closely these days. You also have plenty of internet scouts who think Yakemchuk is a disaster, I don't think of it as a pro vs internet dichotomy.

Yakemchuk's defense in his zone is potentially high end. He boxes out a huge area, and is impenetrable when shutting down the cycle. He'll be terrifying to cycle against.

And the forward skating can be very fast, albeit noisy, all he needs is a few strides.

I think there is one skating issue and one defensive issue that are really the same thing. His first couple steps backward are too slow, he's vulnerable on the rush. David Jiricek is still dealing with the same problem, it's not easy to fix.

His coach said he's been trying to get Carter to understand that he has to think defensively (presumably he's talking about Carter needing to be more cautious in contested puck situations at the offensive blue line).
Discipline was definitely a problem all season long. Not all of the penalties he took were good ones. And even the good ones...Calgary probably would have preferred to have their best player on the ice instead of in the box. I don't think it comes from him being a defensive liability though. He just enjoys the rough stuff. He's a competitor, too so frustration probably got the better of him on a few occasions as well and once you got a repution it's difficult in those junior leagues where refing is traditionally a bit more strict.

rt

May 13, 2004
I watched a lot of WHL recently...way more than in previous seasons. I saw the majority of Calgary's games and I disagree with your assessment. Yakemchuk was very much Calgary's motor all season long. Everything was running through him when he was on the ice. He was driving possession, creating opportunities for his teammates like a mad man. He did a good job setting up teammtes, identifying space. He was also very good at making plays or holding onto pucks even with little or no space available. You can't do that without elite vision. Especially as a big man with limited mobility. He was a possession monster while hardly ever turning over pucks. That's a difficult thing to do even at WHL level. And it wasn't just onto the cycle that he was holding onto pucks. Y'all saw his dangles. Again, that's a tough thing to do as a big man.

I watched a bunch of Calgary games this season too. I think many of his blunders are due to him having to play every second shift. He barely even bothers to sit down on the bench. He’s always next up. He plays A TON and is really the only actual true weapon that squad has. I like Wetsch and some other support pieces but it’s the Yakemchuk show up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad