Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Personally don't want Edler and I would never want to sign someone like Vanek to a huge UFA contract. Only would want to look at picking up a good D that would be willing to overpay, not a defensive mess like Edler.

Ehrhoff is quite the mess as well

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Would definitely pick up Conacher off waivers, had no idea he has fallen so far. Guy is tiny but toss him in the A and let him compete.

Do we have the contract space to add him though, thought we were close to the 50?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I have no idea how waivers work, what happens when we pick him up?

he's assigned to DRW.. not sure if someone would need to be sent down.

red wings can make claim for him but if some team also makes a claim, that is below DRW in standings, they will get him.

Can we send him to GR without his clearing waivers?

nope.

Can we flip him immediately?

not 100% sure but i think so.. that doesn't happen though. he doesn't have much value as he's in waivers.

I thought Conacher was a decent player down in Tampa. What changed?

he was lucky in tampa. he wasn't going to keep that up. though he did play ok there.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't mind trying Corvo out if we have the space. Might improve the PP. He's a righty and has 1 fewer point than Kindl in quite literally half the games.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Why do we need another forward?

Yeah, you're right... It's not like half our cap hit in forwards have been out for a significant amount of time this season, or Z is out due to surgery with Datsyuk and Weiss struggling to recover from injuries. Totally don't need another forward. Nope. Not like our offense is struggling to score goals.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Personally I wouldn't mind trying Corvo out if we have the space. Might improve the PP. He's a righty and has 1 fewer point than Kindl in quite literally half the games.

I remember being told Corvo was DONE according to a couple posters here when I was curious about him. Earlier in the year when he was available. Now he's rebounded after change of scenery.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
he was lucky in tampa. he wasn't going to keep that up. though he did play ok there.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Relative to his teams, Conacher's peripherals were always above average. Solid possession player who's been playing with poor quality of teammates. On the Red Wings, he'd definitely fit.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Kesler just seems like a bad idea. I'll be happy if tomorrow passes and he's nowhere near this team.

Giving up significant assets for two years of a center with a not-insignificant injury history and who doesn't seem to have a good attitude or be particularly loyal to his hometown? Assets who could potentially be outproducing him in the next few years as he begins to slow down?

Not to mention we don't even know how the team might look if Weiss improves and Dats and Z get healthy.

I don't care if a guy like Tatar is eventually surpassed by Jurco and Mantha or even Pulkkinen. Is having a guy like him on your 2nd or 3rd line necessarily a bad thing, outside of potential salary implications?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I remember being told Corvo was DONE according to a couple posters here when I was curious about him. Earlier in the year when he was available. Now he's rebounded after change of scenery.

I'm not saying Corvo is anything special, but lets be frank about our defense - it's not anything special either. I don't see there being much loss if any between Corvo and a few other guys on our blue line on almost any night.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Disagree wholeheartedly. Relative to his teams, Conacher's peripherals were always above average. Solid possession player who's been playing with poor quality of teammates. On the Red Wings, he'd definitely fit.

poor quality of teammates = stamkos and st. louis? like, for real?

and he had pretty ridiculous sh% in tampa early on. he wasn't going to maintain that. and he didn't.

players don't fit just based on their possession stats.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah, you're right... It's not like half our cap hit in forwards have been out for a significant amount of time this season, or Z is out due to surgery with Datsyuk and Weiss struggling to recover from injuries. Totally don't need another forward. Nope. Not like our offense is struggling to score goals.

Yup, and we sure as **** aren't going to compete for the cup without a healthy Z and Datsyuk.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Pookie ain't proved ****. Don't just assume he's gonna come in next year (probably will start in the AHL) and put up 20 goals.

Pookie has proved **** actually. He's played at a high level in 2 professional men's leagues. There is a reason why players usually land in the AHL before going to the NHL, the AHL can and is used as predictor of NHL success.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Smith - Weaver

or

Kindl - Weaver

would've been nice, and for a 5th? Not devastated, but that was a move I'd have made easily.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
poor quality of teammates = stamkos and st. louis? like, for real?

Dumpster fire defense and goaltending takes its toll. It's not about offense, there's defense involved as well. With Stamkos, they were giving up two goals per 20 minutes in close game situations. That's really, really bad. There's more to QOT than just the names on the back of jerseys.

and he had pretty ridiculous sh% in tampa early on. he wasn't going to maintain that. and he didn't.
He's still playing with a pretty high shooting percentage. His PDO isn't unsustainably above 100, But shooting percentage isn't the only tell-tale stat. He's still putting up solid possession numbers, which are counted regardless if the puck finds its way into the back of the net or not.

players don't fit just based on their possession stats.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. He's putting up solid, above average numbers playing with poor quality of teammates. Throw him on the Red Wings, where virtually everyone is playing with above average QOT, I think you'll see him shine. He's a versatile forward who plays both center and wing. No reason not to try and get him for free.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Dumpster fire defense and goaltending takes its toll. It's not about offense, there's defense involved as well. With Stamkos, they were giving up two goals per 20 minutes in close game situations. That's really, really bad. There's more to QOT than just the names on the back of jerseys.

he had worse corsi without than stamkost than with him.

my original point was that he wasn't as good as his point totals suggested early on. which are likely to be inflated as he was playing with guys who finished #1 and #2 in point totals, no?

his QOT also includes a lot on what happened in ottawa and late in tampa, i was talking about what happened in tampa early on. so any stat that is talking about full season last year, isn't really reliable one.

He's still playing with a pretty high shooting percentage. His PDO isn't unsustainably above 100, But shooting percentage isn't the only tell-tale stat. He's still putting up solid possession numbers, which are counted regardless if the puck finds its way into the back of the net or not.

sh% has declined. IPP has also declined, he was not going to maintain that either. his own sh% has declined a ton. that's why he isn't getting as many points as early on in tampa and his true level is not what it was in tampa early on.

never said sh% is the only tell-tale stat.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. He's putting up solid, above average numbers playing with poor quality of teammates. Throw him on the Red Wings, where virtually everyone is playing with above average QOT, I think you'll see him shine. He's a versatile forward who plays both center and wing. No reason not to try and get him for free.

i'm saying, mike babcock, size queen.

he hasn't played center like at all in NHL level. same in AHL iirc.

i'd claim him, i already said it. i'm saying i'm not sure if red wings do that or if babcock feels his a fit or is willing to give him a shot.

what QOT metric are you using? +/-?

Last edited:

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Pookie ain't proved ****. Don't just assume he's gonna come in next year (probably will start in the AHL) and put up 20 goals.

I was under the impression that Pulkinnen was slipping down the depth chart. Maybe he's playing well now, but his ceiling isn't considered as high as it once was.

So if we're trading Tatar or Pulk, I'd trade Pulk. He could be great, but we already know what we have with Tatar and we need what he brings.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Concacher is not an NHLer. He has NHL skill, but his work ethic and awareness are severely lacking. I've seen him play 5 games in person (1 on TB and 4 on OTT) and he has recorded 1 assist in those games, while being on the top line for both teams. If he doesn't have the puck he looks lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad