Proposal: Possible (relatively cheap) trade solutions to fill Vrbata's spot

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Soderberg would be my first choice, but he is on a great contract so I don't see the Bruins move him for cap relief. Vancover just signed Vrbata because they needed a left winger so why would they move Higgins. Winnipeg needs LW's after losing Setoguchi, so I can't see them moving Frolik, especially if Byfuglien is moved.

Both Vrby and Setoguchi are RWs. That being said, I agree, I don't see any of Soderberg, Higgins, or Frolik available.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Klnkhammer and a pick for Versteeg? Hawks are familiar with Klinkhammer and he's about as cheap as an NHL player can be. With the talent level of their depth players( he could be good there. I'm thinking he and Kruger could make for a pretty effective 4th line pair, for example.

I was willing to roll the dice on Versteeg before he got traded from Florida, and I'm still willing to roll the dice since he's only making 2.2M now. Pretty sure Chicago would be willing to move him for just a pick to get him off their books, though if they would be willing to take Klinkhammer, by all means.

Doan - Gagner - Versteeg
Korpikoski - Vermette - Boedker
Domi - Hanzal - Erat
McMillan - Vitale - Crombeen

Could work.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How about we really help their cap situation and give up lesser assets?

Versteeg and Roszival have combined cap hits of 4.4mil but make only 4.1mil in real dollars next season.

Conversely, Klinkhammer and Schlemko have a hit of only 1.8125 but will earn 1.925 in real dollars next season.

Hawks save 2.5875 in cap, and we add 2.175 in real dollars.

Doan - Gagner - Versteeg
Domi - Hanzal - Erat
Szwarz

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Roszival
Summers

Smith
DD

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

Versteeg and Roszival have combined cap hits of 4.4mil but make only 4.1mil in real dollars next season.

Conversely, Klinkhammer and Schlemko have a hit of only 1.8125 but will earn 1.925 in real dollars next season.

Doan - Gagner - Versteeg
Domi - Hanzal - Erat
Szwarz

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Roszival
Summers

Smith
DD

That sounds like a very good idea.. I thought Versteeg was alder than 28 for some reason..Think Chicago would want to take Klink back?

Does Roszi or Versteeg have any NTC or NMC?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
That sounds like a very good idea.. I thought Versteeg was alder than 28 for some reason..Think Chicago would want to take Klink back?

Does Roszi or Versteeg have any NTC or NMC?

Versteeg doesn't have an NTC/NMC. Roszy has a modified NTC, but I'd have to think he'd have zero problems going back to the Yotes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Doan - Gagner - Versteeg
Domi - Hanzal - Erat
Szwarz

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Roszival
Summers

Smith
DD

Yeah, I was going to say Versteeg and Rozsival for Schlemko, until I saw the age of Rozsival. I guess him knowing our system and his contract is for one year would work. Not sure if DM wants him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Versteeg has been disappointing to be sure recently, but he's still only 28 and is a more valuable player than Klinkhammer overall. Could help with the PK, and could also very well regain his 20+ goal scoring touch. Low risk move.

Losing a year due to injury and playing on a crappy team might have something to do with it.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Heatley would automatically fail 2 of the 3 criteria Maloney seems to be prioritizing this off-season (speed, age, and character).

I have heard he is slow and I agree that his age is getting up there but he is only 33. Finally, I have heard about his character and looked for myself to see if it was true or not. I really don't think he is that bad. Previous teammates like Mike Fisher said he was good and liked in the locker room. Whether or not he was just saying that or not it wasn't bad enough for Heatly to be thrown under the bus. I don't think he has a character problem. Reading Wild fans quotes none of them said he whined and complained when put on the 4th line. One even said he was a good role model for younger players.

I really think it comes down to his speed. I'd sign him if the price and term was right for taking on the risk of him being slow. Maybe offer performance bonus as incentive? The problem is Heatley is probably asking for to much money.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If the team is heading the direction it looks to be, I'd much rather see the kids get a chance than Heatley. He didn't look good in any of the games I saw last year.

Cheap free agents, I'd wouldn't mind if GMDM decided to add, and are probably worth looking at by people who know more than me (I'm ignoring Stempniak, Winnik, Ott, etc for the moment):

Paul Byron: Miele, but who has done a lot more with his chances. Played PK with Calgary. Not a defensive liability. High energy and fiesty. Lined up at center and wing. 7-14-21 in 47GP. Beat Klink and Chip's point total in 25 fewer games. Second highest +/- on Calgary with +6. 25yoa and wasn't qualified by Burke (size=small). Bad at faceoffs. Potentially shuttled forward with Portland.

Matt Halischuk -- 25yoa. Hurt alot. Solid defensively. Can PK, plays fiesty. Cheap 4th liner.

Andrei Loktionov -- Didn't catch in Carolina or New Jersey. Both teams that need quality forward depth. Still has some potential, but I'd much rather see Byron get a chance if we go the route of small offensive forward.

TJ Galiardi -- Lots of hustle. Only 26. Plays the PK and lineup at center or wing. No real upside, but if we need hungrier guys on the 4th, I can see the attraction if we made room ditching the potential passengers.

Drayson Bowman -- Guy tore up the WHL and has a great shot. Just turned 25. MIGHT be able to turn a corner. Worstcase=quality farm depth after camp. Played with Dwyer on the checking line in Carolina last year. Probably biased because I liked him as a prospect.

Having said all that, if someone can light a fire under Chip and Klinkhammer, I don't think the 4th line is in bad shape really. They're inconsistent which is why they are 4th line forwards, but the lack of compete is pretty inexcusable. We'll see how the wind blows this season.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The problem is Heatley is probably asking for to much money.

I'm sure he's a swell guy who made a foolish and tragic mistake many years ago. That doesn't make him a lockerroom cancer.

"The problem is Heatley" isn't likely to score 20 goals and does nothing else for the team. He's slow, he gets caught standing and looking. He's a shot from the circles on the PP. That's it anymore. Which is a shame, because he was once one of the more promising players in the league back when he and Ilya were in Atlanta (and even into Ottawa). I'm not sure there's a fit.

rt

May 13, 2004
I doubt Minnesota really wants to pay Kyle Brodziak 3m to center their 4th line. He'd be good on the wing here, I think. Could fill in when Hanzal misses his standard fifteen games and Gagner misses his standard ten. It'd be good to have another guy who could slide over to center. It'd be a bit like signing Steve Ott, in that regard, but Brodziak only has a year left on his current deal, which is nice.

With 9:45mins/gm last season, Chipchura had 20pts. With 16:45mins/gm last season, Brodziak had 24pts. Chipchura also had the better FO stats, at 53% while Brodziak was sub 50%. Chipchura is a few years younger and has another year left on his sub one million per year contract. Brodziak is a pending UFA making 3m. I feel like Chipchura should be more appealing to a team like Minnesota than Brodziak should be.

On the flip side, Brodziak is more appealing to me due to his being a PK horse (2nd in PKTIO/G among ALL Minny players last season, including D) and is USUALLY good for 30-40pts kind of production, rather than the dip we saw last season. The quality of linemates and offensive mins dipped dramatically for him. I think in a situation like we have in AZ, where he will find himself higher on the depth chart with better linemates and more advantageous mins, he could get back to 35pt kind of production. While also being an asset to the PK.

Chipchura+something small for Brodziak?

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
1. Klinkhammer for Moen(15% retention)

2. Schlemko for Roszival(10% retention)
- Chicago buys out Schlemko at 2/3rds

3. Chipchura for Brodziak straight across

MTL replaces Moen with Klinkhammer at exactly 50% off the cap hit. The upgrade costs us a little over 900kay in real dollars.

It would cost CHI about 1.5 in cap space to buy out Rozy. They'd retain 220kay in cap on Rozy with this trade. The buy out of Schlemko would cost them a little under 800kay. So they'd save about 500kay in cap this season. But because Schlemko's cap hit is smaller, they'll save in the penalty for future seasons. It would cost us exacly 300kay more in real dollars.

MIN saves a little over two million in cap. Costs us a little over two in cash this season. Contract expires next summer.

Basically we'd move Chipchura, Klinkhammer, and Schlemko for Brodziak, Moen, and Roszival. It would cost us a little over three million to do so.

We get three top penalty killers and lose none.

Domi-Hanzal-Erat
Korpi-Vermette-Boeds
Doan-Gagner-Brodziak
Moen-Vitale-Crombeen
McMillan, Szwarz

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Rozy
Summers

Smith
DD

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

MTL replaces Moen with Klinkhammer at exactly 50% off the cap hit. The upgrade costs us a little over 900kay in real dollars.

It would cost CHI about 1.5 in cap space to buy out Rozy. They'd retain 220kay in cap on Rozy with this trade. The buy out of Schlemko would cost them a little under 800kay. So they'd save about 500kay in cap this season. But because Schlemko's cap hit is smaller, they'll save in the penalty for future seasons. It would cost us exacly 300kay more in real dollars.

MIN saves a little over two million in cap. Costs us a little over two in cash this season. Contract expires next summer.

Basically we'd move Chipchura, Klinkhammer, and Schlemko for Brodziak, Moen, and Roszival. It would cost us a little over three million to do so.

Domi-Hanzal-Erat
Korpi-Vermette-Boeds
Doan-Gagner-Brodziak
Moen-Vitale-Crombeen
McMillan, Szwarz

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Rozy
Summers

Smith
DD

I hate to think how boring your life must be to come up with this. :laugh: :sarcasm:

But.... unless I'm missing something, it's pure genius! :handclap:

Of course I don't know if ownership is willing to spend even this much. :shakehead

I like the strength on pk - makes us even harder to play against and let's face it, that's pretty much all we've got at this point!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My issue with Moen, Versteeg, etc. is that they have multi-year contracts. I'd rather not lock up more money from the 2015-16 budget. We'll need that money to re-sign Vermette, Boedker, and sign a UFA Top 6 winger.

I'd rather overpay Stempniak this year to take a 1-year deal. $3 million?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
My issue with Moen, Versteeg, etc. is that they have multi-year contracts. I'd rather not lock up more money from the 2015-16 budget. We'll need that money to re-sign Vermette, Boedker, and sign a UFA Top 6 winger.
Unless Boedker scores 40 goals this year, his raise won't be obscene and we have plenty of space.

Erat ($2.25), Schlemko ($1.275), Crombeen ($1.15) and Klinkhammer (600k) all come off the books that summer, plus Maloney will have a HUGE decision to make about Michalek ($4m). How good a year does Boedker need to have to demand all of Erat's cash on top of the $2.55 Boedker makes now?

Adding Versteeg or Moen (and it should be Versteeg) shouldn't drastically alter our ability to extend Boedker.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Normally a valid point but:

The last top UFA we picked up was bounced out on his ear, despite major contribution with a 1/2 season effort.

There is no guarantee we'll ever land said top UFA winger.

Vermette could easily not be re-signed due to age or wanting to play here (something that was in vogue with or Jordache sporting GM as recently as last season), etc.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Versteeg is for only two year at 2.2 per, and he is only 28yo. He brings the same as Vrbata but younger and cheaper.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Domi-Hanzal-Erat
Korpi-Vermette-Boeds
Doan-Gagner-Brodziak
Moen-Vitale-Crombeen
McMillan, Szwarz

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Rozy
Summers

Smith
DD

I wouldn't do the 2nd trade.