Proposal: Possible (relatively cheap) trade solutions to fill Vrbata's spot

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
The one good thing about the Coyotes current situation is there really is no reason to hurry now. The "snap them up quick" players are all gone so at this point DM has literally up until training camp to wait around and see what might shake out. There's just no reason to rush to sign one of the question mark FA's (Seto, Booth, Heatley, Penner, etc.) as you can almost be assured at least one of them will be available later on should DM decide a stop gap is required. In fact I have a feeling DM is waiting for a worthwhile player to become available similar to how he landed Gagner. If one of those situations does not transpire don't be surprised if he opts to just give the kids a shot rather than sign an FA with a ton of question marks.
I completely agree! And they have nice chips like Klink's contract (1 yr/$625k), Chip's (2 yrs @ $875k) and Schlemko (1 yr @ $1.15m) that can be worked into a deal returning a player of greater value at a higher cap hit and have a cap restricted trade partner pick-up some/all of the difference in salaries. Potential deals:

Chip & Schlemko to Washington for Brouwer (2 yrs @ $3.7m) Yotes get a T6 physical winger who scored 25 goals last year. Washington gets $1.7m cap relief this year and $2.6m next.

Chip & Schlemko to Boston for Boycheck (1yr @ $3.6m) Yotes get exactly the type of Dman they need. Boston gets $1.5M in cap relief

Klink to Philly for Coutourier (2 yrs @ $1.7m) Yotes get a much better player. Philly gets a $1m of cap relief this year and Klink rolls off after the season.

Schlemko to Chicago for Rozy (1yr @ $2.2m) Yotes get a player that better fits their needs. Chicago gets $1m in cap relief

So why chase Heatley, Seto, etc when they can get much better players while picking up little to no additional salary.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I noticed that the Panthers are already retaining 50% of Versteeg's salary (full amount is $4.7M).

Should the Hawks move Versteeg, are they allowed to retain salary? In other words, can more than one team retain salary on a player?

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I noticed that the Panthers are already retaining 50% of Versteeg's salary (full amount is $4.7M).

Should the Hawks move Versteeg, are they allowed to retain salary? In other words, can more than one team retain salary on a player?

I may be wrong but I believe that more than 1 team can retain salary, but there is a limit to how much overall. And I think the overall max is 50%.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Klink to Philly for Coutourier (2 yrs @ $1.7m) Yotes get a much better player. Philly gets a $1m of cap relief this year and Klink rolls off after the season.

The other proposals are fine; this one has zero chance.

Philly's cap issues get easier to sort out when they can stick Pronger on LTIR.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So why chase Heatley, Seto, etc when they can get much better players while picking up little to no additional salary.

Probably because your trade values are way, way off on most of those.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
given that we were very high on kevin hayes during his draft year I wonder if we dangle a potential roster spot to him in order to entice him to sign.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Everything I've read makes it sound as though he has made up his mind already

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I thought Pronger was already on LTIR

They have to wait until the season starts. That's the problem, they have to be cap compliance before the season starts and teams can't place players on LTIR until after the season starts.

CC96
Why do you think he's going to sign here?
Wanted him at the draft
Golfing
Keith Yandle
Good coach and great GM
Young team, lots of character players

my guess is as good as anybody else.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We are the anti-hawks. Where they are crowded up front, we've got more open spots than any other team in the league. His best chance of stealing a roster spot is right here.

Or at least one could argue as much. Haha. ;)

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I thought Pronger was already on LTIR

They still need to get rid of LeCav.

I think they will take some bad contracts back as well, as long as each contract is not that much above league minimum (so they can be buried in the minors if need be.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=87264585&postcount=130

We on the other hand, need to worry about real dollars. So in that case, there may be a deal to be had, even though they need to shed salary (for cap reasons), and we can't take on much more (for internal budget reasons).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->