Proposal: Possible (relatively cheap) trade solutions to fill Vrbata's spot

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
The sky never falls... this is merely a game and we are discussing it on a forum that is 100% useless, with the exception of entertainment value, much like the game itself.

The roster is deplorable. The defense will not have the chance to prove their worth given the forwards available. What few Vrbata replacements there are / were (most likely none currently available as good a fit) go to other teams.

As it currently appears to be we are a bottom five team in the NHL.

Glad you liked my stoy - it amused me remeniscing / writing it and that works for me.... Actually surprised you read it, I think most skip me and remain ignorant. :)

There is a FA player that will perform well in the system, maybe it will be Domi. This team did drop a lot of the drift wood that was useless last season and improved the bottom 6.

The defense is younger and I hope most of us took notice of how well Murphy and Gormley played when called up. This defense is good but may start out slow because of experience.

Coyotes should be much faster this season and have more heart in their game. Probably will surprise people..however, I am not expecting them to be the most exciting team to watch.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
There is a FA player that will perform well in the system, maybe it will be Domi. This team did drop a lot of the drift wood that was useless last season and improved the bottom 6.

The defense is younger and I hope most of us took notice of how well Murphy and Gormley played when called up. This defense is good but may start out slow because of experience.

Coyotes should be much faster this season and have more heart in their game. Probably will surprise people..however, I am not expecting them to be the most exciting team to watch.

Was impressed with Murphey and (although have not been a fan) Gormely as well. Gormley stint was brief however - we'll see. They will need all the help the boys up front can muster.

Fast, heart I don't know - I think that's some hair splitting - hope so though!

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I wonder how much Heatly would cost? From what I have read he is not as big of a locker room cancer as people say.

Honestly he is probably the best Vrbata replacement..but he might not want to come to Arizona and he may be looking for a contending team or a big paycheck.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we're to add someone through UFA, it really needs to be a 1-year deal. We can't afford to carry a contract into next season.

Look at our salary structure for 2015-16. We have $41M committed and should have about $20M to spend. Vermette re-signed could be close to $5M and if Boedker has the season we're expecting, he'll want $4M. A backup goalie ($1M) takes that to $10M, half our money.

Gormley (RFA) plus 3 depth forwards and a spare D takes another $5M. The remaining $5M can be used to re-sign Erat (if he performs this year) or to upgrade for another forward through free agency.

Z. Michalek would be left unsigned. We don't have the cash but we do have the defensive depth.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
If we're to add someone through UFA, it really needs to be a 1-year deal. We can't afford to carry a contract into next season.

Look at our salary structure for 2015-16. We have $41M committed and should have about $20M to spend. Vermette re-signed could be close to $5M and if Boedker has the season we're expecting, he'll want $4M. A backup goalie ($1M) takes that to $10M, half our money.

Gormley (RFA) plus 3 depth forwards and a spare D takes another $5M. The remaining $5M can be used to re-sign Erat (if he performs this year) or to upgrade for another forward through free agency.

Z. Michalek would be left unsigned. We don't have the cash but we do have the defensive depth.

Much rather get rid of Korpikoski than not resigning Z. Korpi's salary is just way out of wack for the type of structure we are likely to be saddled with.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Much rather get rid of Korpikoski than not resigning Z. Korpi's salary is just way out of wack for the type of structure we are likely to be saddled with.

You know I wasn't on board with this before, but seeing as how much tighter our budget is than we thought, I'm starting to come on board with your train of thought here.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
My possible solutions

VIA TRADE Team Position Salary
Troy Brouwer WAS RW $3,666,667
Kris Versteeg CHI LW $2,200,000
Patrik Berglund STL C $3,700,000
Michael Ryder NJD RW $3,500,000

VIA FREE AGENCY Team Position
Lee Stempniak UFA RW
Dustin Penner UFA LW
Devin Setoguchi UFA RW

I'd really like to get Brouwer or Berglund, not sure if either are available.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I agree with the free agents that we could target. Think that you are correct with players like Berglund being tough to acquire.

Throw the following names up there as possible trade targets:
Daniel Paille
Carl Soderberg
Sean Bergenheim
Tomas Kopecky
Eric Nystrom
Damien Brunner (I think he was brought up earlier...)
Colin Greening
Janik Hansen
Chris Higgins
Michael Frolik

Truth of the matter is that we can't truly replace Vrbata, but we can get the right player working within our lines and system to help make up that difference. Just depends on what value each of these players is considered to have, and how other potential cap moves continue to shake things up.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
Daniel Paille
Carl Soderberg
Sean Bergenheim
Tomas Kopecky
Eric Nystrom
Colin Greening
Janik Hansen
Chris Higgins
Michael Frolik

From that list I like Frolik and Bergenheim.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Daniel Paille
Carl Soderberg
Sean Bergenheim
Tomas Kopecky
Eric Nystrom
Colin Greening
Janik Hansen
Chris Higgins
Michael Frolik

Of that list I like Soderberg, Higgins, and Frolik the most. Higgins and Frolik especially can and like to shoot the puck.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
You know I wasn't on board with this before, but seeing as how much tighter our budget is than we thought, I'm starting to come on board with your train of thought here.

Yeah, I have no idea whether the budget is really 55-57M, but if that's the case, then we will even have trouble keeping Yandle in a couple of years. We simply cannot pay strictly bottom 6 or bottom pairing players more than 1.5M. The only way we have a chance would be to focus the limited financial resources on a few top players that can actually play at a high level, including a decent top 6. Otherwise we are pretty much a lottery team.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Maxime Talbot or Cody McLeod??

Think we could convince the Avalanche of taking Schlemko back?

I still think we could use someone who will be available for extracurriculars, some size and, toughness to assist Crombeen, Hanzal, and Doan from being the only ones to naturally provide that.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
A player that a team may try to pass through waivers like Paajarvi should be available for cheap. Don't know who else may be in play.
A team like the Islanders may want to trade for Z. Maybe for someone like Anders Lee

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Of that list I like Soderberg, Higgins, and Frolik the most. Higgins and Frolik especially can and like to shoot the puck.

Soderberg would be my first choice, but he is on a great contract so I don't see the Bruins move him for cap relief. Vancover just signed Vrbata because they needed a left winger so why would they move Higgins. Winnipeg needs LW's after losing Setoguchi, so I can't see them moving Frolik, especially if Byfuglien is moved.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
VIA TRADE Team Position Salary
Troy Brouwer WAS RW $3,666,667
Kris Versteeg CHI LW $2,200,000
Patrik Berglund STL C $3,700,000
Michael Ryder NJD RW $3,500,000

VIA FREE AGENCY Team Position
Lee Stempniak UFA RW
Dustin Penner UFA LW
Devin Setoguchi UFA RW

I'd really like to get Brouwer or Berglund, not sure if either are available.

I think Versteeg is good value, and Chicago is in cap hell.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A player that a team may try to pass through waivers like Paajarvi should be available for cheap. Don't know who else may be in play.
A team like the Islanders may want to trade for Z. Maybe for someone like Anders Lee

With Morrow moving on, do you think Paajarvi might get a shot?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think Versteeg is good value, and Chicago is in cap hell.

Klnkhammer and a pick for Versteeg? Hawks are familiar with Klinkhammer and he's about as cheap as an NHL player can be. With the talent level of their depth players( he could be good there. I'm thinking he and Kruger could make for a pretty effective 4th line pair, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad