Proposal: Possible (relatively cheap) trade solutions to fill Vrbata's spot

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
The only chances we have now are something like:

• Trading a couple of 4th liners (Klink, Chip) + pick for LeCavalier, help them out with cap a little, while only picking up 2.5M net or so in salary. They can bury 4th liner small salaries in the minors and wouldn't count against cap.
  • Trading for someone like Eriksson, since Boston is going to have a lot of problems resigning Krug/Smith, and he would be the obvious target to go. This would need to be a pure futures deal.
  • Trying to get Berglund out of StL, since they still need to sign Sobotka + Schwartz, and don't have much cap space left. He would cost something like 2nd + prospect, not a bad option, but not a great scorer either; but he definitely can shoot when he plays LW.
  • Caps are also rumoured to be looking for cap relief. Someone like Ward/Brouwer would be moved in that case. Neither is a great choice; but we can hope that one of them can turn it up a notch with a new team, and be a top 6 scorer that we need.
  • Chicago is also looking to clear some space, and many believe that Versteeg will be on the move. While he for some reason isn't the player he used to be, but perhaps he can recapture some of the his performance during his first couple of years in the league.
  • Wings may still be looking to move Franzen, and may be had for fairly cheaply. While his contract overall is very bad, his later years are actually small in terms of actual dollars. If we can get the Wings to retain some amount during the next two years, it's probably doable. We can hope that he somehow returns to form.

Just some that I can think of; will add later if someone brings up something good.

Edit:
Other possibilities:

• NJ for Brunner or Ryder?
  • CAL for Hudler?
  • Minn for Zucker ?
  • Det for Tartar ?
  • ????

Also some FAs maybe able to fit in:
  • Setoguchi
  • Alfredsson
  • Heatley
  • Penner
  • Convince Selanne to play one more season with the org he came into the league with?
  • ????

Last edited:

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Obviously Boston has guys, and Chicago may want to create more cap space, and Washington seems destined to move some guys as well.

Also NJ Devils it appears has more forwards than they know what to do with. Of course, our situation requires that we send them a contract back, so I'm not sure they're up for horsetrading knowing they're going to bury our guy in the minors.

They can have Klinkhammer, Chips is valuable as a 13th forward because he can play all the spots. Devils have Ryder available, but they wouldn't want to go contract for contract...they'd want futures or prospects.

Not sure they're a good fit...and I'm not sure there are other possibilities, Vancouver I guess will need to reduce cap space, but all they have is Burrows, unless they want to trade Hansen for Klinkhammer to save almost $2m

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Probably someone like Ryder or Brunner. Ericsson isn't leaving the B's. Honestly, I'd sign Heatly and put him with Ganger. Maybe his scoring touch will return if we do that.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The only chances we have now are something like:

• Trading a couple of 4th liners (Klink, Chip) + pick for LeCavalier, help them out with cap a little, while only picking up 2.5M net or so in salary. They can bury 4th liner small salaries in the minors and wouldn't count against cap.
  • Trading for someone like Eriksson, since Boston is going to have a lot of problems resigning Krug/Smith, and he would be the obvious target to go. This would need to be a pure futures deal.
  • Trying to get Berglund out of StL, since they still need to sign Sobotka + Schwartz, and don't have much cap space left. He would cost something like 2nd + prospect, not a bad option, but not a great scorer either; but he definitely can shoot when he plays LW.
  • Caps are also rumoured to be looking for cap relief. Someone like Ward/Brouwer would be moved in that case. Neither is a great choice; but we can hope that one of them can turn it up a notch with a new team, and be a top 6 scorer that we need.
  • Chicago is also looking to clear some space, and many believe that Versteeg will be on the move. While he for some reason isn't the player he used to be, but perhaps he can recapture some of the his performance during his first couple of years in the league.
  • Wings may still be looking to move Franzen, and may be had for fairly cheaply. While his contract overall is very bad, his later years are actually small in terms of actual dollars. If we can get the Wings to retain some amount during the next two years, it's probably doable. We can hope that he somehow returns to form.

Just some that I can think of; will add later if someone brings up something good.

Agreed....I believe one of the players mentioned or more will fall through the cracks and be available at a relatively cheap price, just like Gagner. This is where DM will be patient and wait for the write deal. No need to be in a hurry and make a bad deal.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Chiarelli mentioned today that Eriksson will take Iginla's spot. He'll keep him, despite the cap concerns, and move someone else.

I think the same can be said about Berglund. He just got an extension with STL and I don't think they would've bothered if they were prepared to move him.

Franzen is too old for my liking. Michael Ryder doesn't fit the new criteria of building with speed.

How about Jiri Hudler?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How about Jiri Hudler?

Hudler needs to be coached around because he's not a two way player. With Gagner and Domi already penciled into the roster, I wouldn't bother. I'd rather make a play for Brouwer.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
would Peter Mueller be worth another shot?
buxo5hoe.2g4.gif

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This thread has been up for nearly 24 hours or so, with little comment. I knew this would happen when it was posted. This is because (like I've been saying) we've painted ourselves into a corner here. It's somewhat reassuring (as to the intelligence of this crowd) that few have argued with me.

However:

If this is a rebuild (like many are starting to claim), it's perhaps the poorest rebuild and most unnecessary loss of assetts during a rebuild I have ever witnessed. Not too mention a completely unnecassary rebuild.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
This thread has been up for nearly 24 hours or so, with little comment. I knew this would happen when it was posted. This is because (like I've been saying) we've painted ourselves into a corner here. It's somewhat reassuring (as to the intelligence of this crowd) that few have argued with me.

However:

If this is a rebuild (like many are starting to claim), it's perhaps the poorest rebuild and most unnecessary loss of assetts during a rebuild I have ever witnessed. Not too mention a completely unnecassary rebuild.

You're just too obnoxious and nobody wants to deal with it.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The ray of hope is that we have 3 months to figure it out.

When I was around twelve a local church (that we used to break into often) had a maze set up on the floor of their school gymnasiums "stage" where plays were performed. This maze was made entirely of appliance boxes and was perhaps the most difficult to navigate that I have ever been in - to the point of having to force oneself to relax. It was pitch black inside, but at one location there was a crack, a crack tht gave a ray of hope that you could eventually get out. Everybody always made it out, some never went back in however.

Will the fans see this through? Normally I am all in no matter what, but given my current circumstances of having very important and critical events happening in my family - I question if I will see the team through to the end of the maze it has created. Most fans are not even remotely as dedicated as I, or almost anyone here - they may never subject themselves to the maze again.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
When I was around twelve a local church (that we used to break into often) had a maze set up on the floor of their school gymnasiums "stage" where plays were performed. This maze was made entirely of appliance boxes and was perhaps the most difficult to navigate that I have ever been in - to the point of having to force oneself to relax. It was pitch black inside, but at one location there was a crack, a crack tht gave a ray of hope that you could eventually get out. Everybody always made it out, some never went back in however.

Will the fans see this through? Normally I am all in no matter what, but given my current circumstances of having very important and critical events happening in my family - I question if I will see the team through to the end of the maze it has created. Most fans are not even remotely as dedicated as I, or almost anyone here - they may never subject themselves to the maze again.

Cute story but I don't understand how this compares to having 3 months to sign someone. Anyways the roster is not that bad and there are still FA available that can replace vrbata. Just take a breath and realize that we have phenomenal young talented defense. Probably the best in the division. Forwards that will work hard to make it tough to play against. A coach with a proven system.

The sky is not falling..

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Cute story but I don't understand how this compares to having 3 months to sign someone. Anyways the roster is not that bad and there are still FA available that can replace vrbata. Just take a breath and realize that we have phenomenal young talented defense. Probably the best in the division. Forwards that will work hard to make it tough to play against. A coach with a proven system.

The sky is not falling..

Yet again, we will have make lemonade from lemons. Replacing Vrby? I don't think any FA still out there comes close to that. The best FA route we can hope for is that someone can be signed to fill a secondary hole, and one of Samuelsson/Domi surprise us with a top-6 worthy season (20+G, 50+P).

Thankfully, DM is one of the best out there in terms of finding bargain players through trades.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

The sky is not falling..

The sky never falls... this is merely a game and we are discussing it on a forum that is 100% useless, with the exception of entertainment value, much like the game itself.

The roster is deplorable. The defense will not have the chance to prove their worth given the forwards available. What few Vrbata replacements there are / were (most likely none currently available as good a fit) go to other teams.

As it currently appears to be we are a bottom five team in the NHL.

Glad you liked my stoy - it amused me remeniscing / writing it and that works for me.... Actually surprised you read it, I think most skip me and remain ignorant. :)

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Yet again, we will have make lemonade from lemons. Replacing Vrby? I don't think any FA still out there comes close to that. The best FA route we can hope for is that someone can be signed to fill a secondary hole, and one of Samuelsson/Domi surprise us with a top-6 worthy season (20+G, 50+P).

Thankfully, DM is one of the best out there in terms of finding bargain players through trades.

Samuelsson is not going to be ready - Domi best find some magic. He's got a gift for certain, but it's going to be a huge challenge for him - no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->