Proposal: Possible (relatively cheap) trade solutions to fill Vrbata's spot

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Random off topic question, what happens to the Blackhawks if they don't make a move? They are over the cap currently correct? So if nobody makes a trade with them, what do they have to do?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Versteeg is for only two year at 2.2 per, and he is only 28yo. He brings the same as Vrbata but younger and cheaper.

I think the Klink for Versteeg deal straight up makes some sense for both teams. Chicago clears cap space and gets a 4th liner that could work better there. While I am concerned about his production and don't think it will go up much, I think Versteeg is an upgrade over Klink and we desperately need scoring and additional PK help.At 28, he is a young vet.

Schlemko is better then Roszivol and despite what this board thinks, still has some upside. Roszivol costs more and is a year older. We could sign DMO for less money. Roszivol makes no sense at all.

The Chicago board was less then thrilled with both players. That is scary, as I think both players were in a great situation unlike Gagner. You always wonder about picking up guys from great teams because whatever their production was, could be a result of line mates, minutes, match up, etc..

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the Klink for Versteeg deal straight up makes some sense for both teams. Chicago clears cap space and gets a 4th liner that could work better there. While I am concerned about his production and don't think it will go up much, I think Versteeg is an upgrade over Klink and we desperately need scoring and additional PK help.At 28, he is a young vet.

Schlemko is better then Roszivol and despite what this board thinks, still has some upside. Roszivol costs more and is a year older. We could sign DMO for less money. Roszivol makes no sense at all.

The Chicago board was less then thrilled with both players. That is scary, as I think both players were in a great situation unlike Gagner. You always wonder about picking up guys from great teams because whatever their production was, could be a result of line mates, minutes, match up, etc..

I agree with you about Schlemko, but I think Chicago might want to try and get more cap relief by including Schlemko in the deal.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Random off topic question, what happens to the Blackhawks if they don't make a move? They are over the cap currently correct? So if nobody makes a trade with them, what do they have to do?

Don't know..Might need to dig into CBA..rule book or something.

EDIT: I guess the commissioner can put sanctions on clubs for being over the cap by the start of the season. So the whoever is over will have to move players by the start of next season.

Got this from the current CBA

26.15 Examples of Circumvention
The following is a non-exhaustive list of activities that
either constitute a Circumvention under this Article 26 or from which a Circumvention may be
inferred:

(a) A Club has a Club Salary that would exceed the Upper Limit, other than through
the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception or the "Performance Bonus Cushion," such as
by virtue of an undisclosed agreement or undisclosed payment to Players on its roster.

So it would Circumventing the cap..so punishment for that is...

26.13 Enforcement by the System Arbitrator.

(a) Failing a resolution through the joint conference established pursuant to Section
26.12 above regarding any possible Circumvention, either the NHL or NHLPA may commence
any action before the System Arbitrator alleging that a Circumvention has occurred. Such action
must be filed within forty-eight (48) hours of the joint conference's declaration that they have not
reached a resolution regarding the alleged Circumvention, or shall be deemed waived. An action
under this Section 26.13 shall be heard and decided under Article 48 within seven (7) days of the
filing of the action, and a decision shall be rendered within three (3) days thereafter. The parties
may jointly agree to extend any of the above deadlines.

(b) The System Arbitrator may find a Circumvention has occurred based on direct or
circumstantial evidence, including without limitation, evidence that an SPC or any provision of
an SPC cannot reasonably be explained in the absence of conduct prohibited by this Article 26.
The investigation and findings of the Investigator pursuant to Section 26.10 shall be fully
admissible in any proceeding before the System Arbitrator under this Section 26.13.

(c) In the event that the System Arbitrator finds that a Circumvention has been
committed by a Player or Player Actor, the System Arbitrator may impose any or all of the
following penalties and/or remedies set forth below. In the event that the System Arbitrator finds
that a Circumvention has been committed by a Club or a Club Actor, the Commissioner may
impose any or all of the following penalties and/or remedies set forth below:

(i) Impose a fine of up to $5 million in the case of a Circumvention by a Club
or Club Actor, but in no circumstances shall such fine be less than $1
million against any Club or Club Actor if such party is found to have
violated Article 50 of this Agreement. If such a fine is assessed against a
Club (except in the case of a financial reporting violation), that Club's
Payroll Room shall also be reduced by such amount for the following
League Year, and if such reduction of the Club's Payroll Room renders the
Club out of compliance with the Payroll Range (i.e., the Club does not
have sufficient Payroll Room to accommodate its Player commitments
comprising Club Salary) for such following League Year, then the Club
must take such steps as are necessary (e.g., Assignment, Buy-Out,
Waivers, etc.) and as are permitted by this Agreement to ensure that the
Club will be in compliance with Article 50 of this Agreement upon
commencement of the following League Year;

(ii) Impose a fine against a Player of up to the lesser of $1 million or twenty-
five (25%) percent of a Player's Paragraph 1 Salary in the case of a
Circumvention by a Player or Player Actor, but in no circumstances shall
such fine be below the lesser of $250,000 or twenty-five (25%) percent of
the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary. Notwithstanding the $1 million limitation
set forth above, any additional amounts by which the Player has been
unjustly enriched due to the Circumvention shall be ordered to be
disgorged;

(iii) Direct a Club to forfeit draft picks (the number, placement, and League
Year of which shall be determined in the Commissioner's sole discretion);

(iv) Declare a forfeiture of any NHL Game(s) determined to have been
affected by a Circumvention;

(v) Direct a Club to disclose and report to the Independent Accountants all
information required by this Agreement, including, without limitation, by
the provisions of Article 50;

(vi) Void any SPC, or any extension of an SPC, between any Player and any
Club when both the Player or Player Actor and the Club or Club Actor are
found to have committed such a violation with respect to such SPC or
extension; and

(vii) Suspend any Club employee, Player, or Certified Agent involved in such a
violation for a period of time determined in the sole discretion of the
Commissioner, the System Arbitrator, or the NHLPA, respectively.

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Unless Boedker scores 40 goals this year, his raise won't be obscene and we have plenty of space.

Erat ($2.25), Schlemko ($1.275), Crombeen ($1.15) and Klinkhammer (600k) all come off the books that summer, plus Maloney will have a HUGE decision to make about Michalek ($4m). How good a year does Boedker need to have to demand all of Erat's cash on top of the $2.55 Boedker makes now?

Adding Versteeg or Moen (and it should be Versteeg) shouldn't drastically alter our ability to extend Boedker.

I think a re-signed Boedker (RFA) jumps to $4M and a re-signed Vermette (UFA) jumps to $5M.

Here's an early look at the 2015-16 team:

Domi (.925) - Gagner (3.333) - Boedker (4)
Lessio (.833) - Vermette (5) - Samuelsson (.925)
Korpikoski (2.7) - Hanzal (3.5) - Doan (4.55)
McMillan (.845) - Vitale (1.1) - Szwarz (.633)
Chipchura (.95)

OEL (6) - Murphy (.833)
Yandle (5.75) - Stone (1.45)
Gormley (1.2) - Summers (.625)
Campbell (.55) - Reese (.55)

Smith (6.5)
Visentin (.85)

Buyout: Ribeiro (1.944)

Total Salary: $55,546,000

Leaves about $5M-7M to spend, depending on the budget and depending on how much money we want to save for moves later in the season. And this is without accounting for any bonus money for some of our young players. Max Domi, for example, can grab another half-million dollars in bonus money alone.

I have included a few RFAs in the lineup, re-signed at reasonable projections (Gormley, Visentin, etc.) I've cut loose some UFAs who will either be replaced internally or who won't even be on the team in a year from now (Klinkhammer, Crombeen, Schlemko, Dubnyk, etc.) Zbynek Michalek could be re-signed at a reduced rate to play a reduced role, but a team could easily give him his current money in free agency. There should be viable upgrades to Martin Erat available in free agency, unless he explodes this year and we choose to keep him.

So if we factor Moen and/or Versteeg into that lineup, and even move out a guy like Korpikoski, it doesn't leave much room to have the opportunity to sign a legitimate top 6 winger next season. I'd hate to pass up on that opportunity because we added a tweener like Versteeg a year early.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If we're talking about the 2015/6 Season, here is my lineup
Domi (.925) - Gagner (3.333) - Boedker (4)
Lessio (.833) - Vermette (5) - Rieder (.853)
Doan (4.55) - Hanzal (3.5) - Samuelsson (.925) *gotta put all the heavies together they all skate the same speed
McMillan (.845) - Vitale (1.1) - UFA (1)
Chipchura (.95) - Szwarz (.633)

OEL (6) - Michalek (3)
Yandle (5.75) - Murphy (.833)
Gormley (1.5) - Stone (1.45)
Summers (.625) - Campbell (.55)

Smith (6.5)
Visentin (.85)

Buyout: Ribeiro (1.944)

Total Salary: $57,249,000

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The year after that gets interesting because of the key UFA's good news is that hopefully Gagner is performing well and whatever raise he gets is offset by the reduction in Doan's salary
Doan, Gagner

We had better start drafting well, otherwise were sunk. Gotta keep filling with guys in the ELC's so you can afford higher priced players.

Does anyone else see Langhamer taking Visentin's spot in 3 yrs? I'm thinking Langhamer is the real deal.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I mean, I wouldn't be pissed if we traded a spare part like Klinkhammer for Versteeg. That's an upgrade on all fronts. You can't lose that deal. But, because of Versteeg's contract, it does reinforce the need to move out a body (likely Korpikoski) from the 2015-16 team.

Here's a very early look at the 2015 UFA crop. Most of these will likely re-sign where they are, but it's still interesting to know what's out there: Spezza, Toews, P. Kane, Krejci, Bobby Ryan. Plus a bunch of second line offensive threats.
http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I mean, I wouldn't be pissed if we traded a spare part like Klinkhammer for Versteeg. That's an upgrade on all fronts. You can't lose that deal. But, because of Versteeg's contract, it does reinforce the need to move out a body (likely Korpikoski) from the 2015-16 team.

Here's a very early look at the 2015 UFA crop. Most of these will likely re-sign where they are, but it's still interesting to know what's out there: Spezza, Toews, P. Kane, Krejci, Bobby Ryan. Plus a bunch of second line offensive threats.
http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2

Don't forget Erat at 4.5 per will be coming off the books, and if they resign Z it will be a lot less than the 4 per he is getting now. On top of that there are trades etc. etc. I wouldn't be worried about next year at all.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Don't forget Erat at 4.5 per will be coming off the books, and if they resign Z it will be a lot less than the 4 per he is getting now. On top of that there are trades etc. etc. I wouldn't be worried about next year at all.

Erat only makes 2.25 this coming season.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I thought they were going to increase the $ to 61m, but we're still at $55m (even w/the buyout of Ribs)...so we must not be doing as well financially as we thought, unless they want a lot of wiggle room at the deadline to add enough pieces to push for the playoffs.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I thought they were going to increase the $ to 61m, but we're still at $55m (even w/the buyout of Ribs)...so we must not be doing as well financially as we thought, unless they want a lot of wiggle room at the deadline to add enough pieces to push for the playoffs.

Its probably getting the best roster for as cheap as they can..Owners probably are comfortable spending $61mill but would be more happy the lower it is..If they could ice a competitive team for $2 they would do it.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I think they put the total amount of the Buy Out in escrow.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
Any interest in . . . .

David Booth? I know it did not go well in Vancouver, but it wasn't that long ago that he was putting up 20+ goals in Florida.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net

Take care of it now instead of waiting to do it later. This way they'll have money in the future and don't get hit in each of the next 6 seasons. It's like taking a burden now all at once. I don't think they have to, but I can see that it matters to be prudent with the money right now until something makes it worthwhile to dip into.

It's like the buy-out hit is a fixed amount but gives the Coyotes flexibility to make trades, but it's prudent that they don't do anything with it, unless it increases the chances to make the playoffs (which would increase revenue) . I believe They want to keep the budget low until they see how the roster performs during the season.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
David Booth? I know it did not go well in Vancouver, but it wasn't that long ago that he was putting up 20+ goals in Florida.

Zero.

I think Maloney is waiting out the teams in cap hell. Dangling 5th and 7th round picks like they are a life preserver.

If his fishing expedition doesn't turn anything up he will look to a larger trade option or sign a Low cost option like Setogucci or Stepniak.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
If GMDM is not spending up to the budget ownership has given him, I think the only reasons that would be acceptable to me are 1) players have overpriced themselves (but that doesn't appear to be the case with Verby so that reason doesn't explain everything), or 2) he is holding money to extend existing players who will become UFA or RFA next year. If rationale number 2 is the case, I am totally on board with GMDM spending some of this year's cap money so that the team is in a better position starting next year in terms of pieces they want to keep on the team long term.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Zero.

I think Maloney is waiting out the teams in cap hell. Dangling 5th and 7th round picks like they are a life preserver.

If his fishing expedition doesn't turn anything up he will look to a larger trade option or sign a Low cost option like Setogucci or Stepniak.

I totally agree. No need to over pay and DM's patience will pay off.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Zero.

Agreed. There may be some bargains in the next couple months. I'm hoping Marchand. Obviously he won't be had for a pick but maybe cheaper then he would normally bring. Maybe for something we can afford.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The one good thing about the Coyotes current situation is there really is no reason to hurry now. The "snap them up quick" players are all gone so at this point DM has literally up until training camp to wait around and see what might shake out. There's just no reason to rush to sign one of the question mark FA's (Seto, Booth, Heatley, Penner, etc.) as you can almost be assured at least one of them will be available later on should DM decide a stop gap is required. In fact I have a feeling DM is waiting for a worthwhile player to become available similar to how he landed Gagner. If one of those situations does not transpire don't be surprised if he opts to just give the kids a shot rather than sign an FA with a ton of question marks.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The early rumor is that Kane and Toews will sign for $10.8 million each. Time for Obi Don to swoop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad