Line Combos: Possible lineup after free agency ?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Outside Rasmussen, do we have powerforward?. Should we try Rasmussen with Larkin and Raymond
Rasmussen - Larkin - Raymond
Kubalik -Copp- Compher
Have first 2 lines with 2 centers each.
Kostin - Fabbri - Berggren

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Now I know the lineup.

Yzerman hinted it too much at the presser.

X - Larkin - X
X- Compher - X
X - Copp - X
Kostin - Rasmussen - Fischer

When they were talking about getting Fischer and Kostin, Yzerman said "our coaching staff would like to build a defensive physical line, which could go against any opposite line".

This will mean a "grind-line"-ideology. Martin - Cizikas- Clutterbuck, Maltby - Draper - McCarty.

This was pure music on my ears. :yo:

The wingers were mentioned, only question is the Center. Veleno isn't physical, and can¨t win faceoffs. Copp is physical and our best at faceoffs. Still think that his 5M skill is best used at more offensive lines.

So it leaves Rasmussen to Center that next generation Grind-line.

And I love this talk, this ideology.

There's those six X's for offensive line wingers. LW Fabbri/Kubalik/Sprong, RW Raymond/Perron/Berggren.

Build it as you wish.
Where did you get Rasmussen being 4th line center from? Did not hear him mention anything about Rasmussen playing center. I think they like him as more than a 4th liner and would expect him to be top 9.

I heard him talk a lot about importance of right handed shots. Kind of thinking we might see Raymond, Perron, Sprong, Fischer all on different lines to spread the right handed wingers out.

Reactions: norrisnick

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
To the people jettisoning Fabbri from the lineup or burying him on the 4th line.

Yzerman went out of his way to mention Fabbri during the press conference (question was not specifically about Fabbri) and was saying nothing but good things/expectations.

Reactions: DatsDeking

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Where did you get Rasmussen being 4th line center from? Did not hear him mention anything about Rasmussen playing center. I think they like him as more than a 4th liner and would expect him to be top 9.

I heard him talk a lot about importance of right handed shots. Kind of thinking we might see Raymond, Perron, Sprong, Fischer all on different lines to spread the right handed wingers out.
Rass won’t be on 4th line or at Center he is going to be on the wing and I still think it’s going to be with Copp and Perron. Could see Kubalik-Larkin-Raymond together. I see something like this:

Kubalik- Larkin- Raymond
Rass- Copp- Perron
Berggren- Compher- Sprong
Kostin- Veleno- Fabbri
Fisher (13)

As it stands now that’s how I see it. It’s a solid lineup with a tun of depth it’s missing 1 big time player to be a bubble playoff team.

Keller, Debrincat, koneckny someone like that would really make this a good group. It’s solid now with a tun of depth, this team will have the advantage over most teams bottom 6 lines but they will be behind in the top 6

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Rass won’t be on 4th line or at Center he is going to be on the wing and I still think it’s going to be with Copp and Perron. Could see Kubalik-Larkin-Raymond together. I see something like this:

Kubalik- Larkin- Raymond
Rass- Copp- Perron
Kostin- Veleno- Fabbri
Fisher (13)

As it stands now that’s how I see it. It’s a solid lineup with a tun of depth it’s missing 1 big time player to be a bubble playoff team.

Keller, Debrincat, koneckny someone like that would really make this a good group. It’s solid now with a tun of depth, this team will have the advantage over most teams bottom 6 lines but they will be behind in the top 6
I don’t see how Berggren is on the opening night roster without an injury. Also think they like Fabbri a lot more than you do.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
SY strikes me as an "OK, prove it" boss.

Mantha - "I'm better if I'm signed." "OK, prove it." He did not, in fact, prove it, so poof.
Vrana - "I'm not crazy." ..."...
Zadina - "I will fill their pets with nucks if signed." ..."...

etc.

I think this would be Fabb's "I can play a full season and be worth something doing it" year to prove it. If not...

And where's Erne in all this? Driving the press box or gone?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Don't you read what I write?

I said, they said Kostin and Fischer are those guys mentioned on this new physical line. Both are wingers, left and right w.

And started speculating those Centers by myself. I have enough brains to think that Larkin and Compher are not on a physical grindline? And Veleno isn't physical either, and can win a damn faceoffs. Would I be enough smart to do this conclusion? Do they have to say it to do that conclusion?

So this leaves either Copp or Rasmussen, of our possible roster Centers, for that grind-line duty. They play physical, they are fit.

It could be Copp, I did wrote that he could be a better fit. But for his 5M level of skill, I predicted, on final day the role will fall to Rasmussen. It can be opposite, I'm not against it. I just think it goes for Rasmussen. That shut-down center role has been at talks since he was drafted.

I know Rasmussen was good as a wing at last season. But now we have better wingers for the scoring duty.

Kubalik/Fabbri/Sprong
Raymond/Perron/Berggren

Six guys to fill the Top9 offence.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Don't you read what I write?

I said, they said Kostin and Fischer are those guys mentioned on this new physical line. Both are wingers, left and right w.

And started speculating those Centers by myself. I have enough brains to think that Larkin and Compher are not on a physical grindline? And Veleno isn't physical either, and can win a damn faceoffs. Would I be enough smart to do this conclusion? Do they have to say it to do that conclusion?

So this leaves either Copp or Rasmussen, of our possible roster Centers, for that grind-line duty. They play physical, they are fit.

It could be Copp, I did wrote that he could be a better fit. But for his 5M level of skill, I predicted, on final day the role will fall to Rasmussen. It can be opposite, I'm not against it. I just think it goes for Rasmussen. That shut-down center role has been at talks since he was drafted.

I know Rasmussen was good as a wing at last season. But now we have better wingers for the scoring duty.

Kubalik/Fabbri/Sprong
Raymond/Perron/Berggren

Six guys to fill the Top9 offence.
I got some of those posts mixed up when I replied, my mistake.

I think 3 of our 4 bottom 6 wingers are going to be guys Yzerman just signed in Sprong, Kostin, and Fischer.

I think they are more likely to go with Rasmussen for that final bottom 6 winger spot than Berggren*. I think Copp is your 3rd line center and Veleno is your 4th line center.

I think the top 6 wingers are Fabbri, Raymond, Kubalik, Perron. Top 2 centers are Larkin and JT.

That’s how I see it, but we’ll see soon enough. If Yzerman is going to go with a holdover from the old regime over a guy he just signed I think it would be bigger/more physical guys over Berggren. Remember last year Lalonde rolled with that giant line to start the year and they got a good amount of minutes.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I've always been a big believer of 3 "scoring" lines and 1 shut down line, im glad Fester wants to run that system. I think Joe Venom get's a chance to run that line, he certainly has physique for it.

Allthough Ras would be quite ideal player to that line and it would balance the rest of the line up but Ras has played his best games as a winger and i think scoring potential in him in that role. Ras is a sort of utility player, top-6 winger or bottom-6 center. Fabbri is usually injured 50% of the time, i could see Ras replacing him then and Joey replacing Ras in the "millennium grind line"

Kubalik - Larkin - Raymond
Berggren - Copp - Perron
Fabbri - Compher - Sprong
Joe Venom

Fabbri out scenario:
Kubalik - Larkin - Ray
Ras - Copp - Perron
Berggren - Compher - Sprong
Kostin - Venom - Fischer

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I've really got a hunch Rasmussen may end up as 4c. This won't be the 4th line of previous years that gets thrown out hesitantly. This is a real match up 4th line, which Ras is made for. He was also one of our best faceoff guys. He'd be a more than capable 4c and much better than Veleno. Just give him some actual net front PP time and pk time and he should average like 14 minutes a game, which is enough for what he's earned. And it's not like he's gonna be hampered with bad linemates. Kostin and Fischer are solid players.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Fabbri - Larkin - Raymond
Kubalik - Compher - Perron
Copp - Kasper - Sprong
Berggren - Veleno

This pains me as a Berggren fanboy but if there's a way to get Kasper top 9 minutes it's a good idea. A possible top 6 C is more important to our future than a middle 6 winger. Berggren will get in anyway with injuries.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fabbri 5'11 - Larkin 6'1 - Perron 6'1
Kubalik 6'2 - Compher 6'0 - Raymond 5'10
Sprong 6'0 - Copp 6'1 - Berggren 5'11
Kostin 6'4 - Rasmussen 6'6 - Fischer 6'2
---------------------------
Veleno 6'1
Kasper 6'1
Söderblom 6'8
Zadina 6'0

Not much guys under 6'0.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
You’ve got a lot of sadly going on there. Also don’t expect Maatta to be with Mo since Walman and Seider had tons of chemistry together and Maata never played a minute of even strength with Mo last season
I agree maata wont be with seider,be cool to try d pairings that have one offensive dman in each pairing

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013

Kubalik- Larkin- Raymond
Rass- Copp- Perron
Kostin- Veleno- Fabbri
Fisher (13)

If Kubalik is on your top line and Copp is your #2 C it means you don't have depth, you have a very average at best group of fwds

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
I think this is the most likely combination of lines. Much of this hinges on the type of Fabbri we get come October.

Berggren - Larkin - Raymond
(I think both wingers here hit another stride in development to complement Larks)

Rasmussen - Copp - Perron
(major chemistry pre-Ras injury)

Kubalik - Compher - Sprong
(this feels like another 2nd line capable of putting pucks in nets)

Kostin - Veleno - Fischer
(I’d slot Fabbri here if healthy. Easily a top 10 4th line in the league, especially if you slot in Ras at C and pull Veleno. I just don’t think Steve moves Ras that far down the lineup, especially if he finds his pre-injury form)

Look out for Soderblum to slot in somewhere if he takes another jump. Also don’t be surprised to see a hot Kasper sneak into the lineup on any line/role. His game isn’t a top 6 only fit.

Walman - Seider
(Not much needs to be said here)

Maata - Gostisbehere
(Ghost’s defensive game is better than it used to be and probably equal to Hronek’s at the worst. He’s a second line d-man. Maata earned this role last year. Nice complement)

Chiarot - Holl
(My gut says one of them will surprise us in a good way, the other in a bad way. Not sure where to place my chips yet. I think Steve pounces on any opportunity to replace the worst of this pair with a Lindstrom, Edvinsson, Wallinder, Johansson, or whoever really impresses/surprises)

Last edited:

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I think this is the most likely combination of lines. A lot of this hinges on the type of Fabbri we get come October.

Berggren - Larkin - Raymond
(I think both wingers here hit another stride in development to complement Larks)

Rasmussen - Copp - Perron
(major chemistry pre-Ras injury)

Kubalik - Compher - Sprong
(this feels like another 2nd line capable of putting pucks in nets)

Kostin - Veleno - Fischer
(I’d slot Fabbri here if healthy. Easily a top 10 4th line in the league, especially if you slot in Ras at C and pull Veleno. I just don’t think Steve moves Ras that far down the lineup, especially if he finds his pre-injury form)

Look out for Soderblum to slot in somewhere if he takes another jump. Also don’t be surprised to see a hot Kasper sneak into the lineup on any line/role. His game isn’t a top 6 only fit.

Walman - Seider
(Not much needs to be said here)

Maata - Gostisbehere
(Ghost’s defensive game is better than it used to be and probably equal to Hronek’s at the worst. He’s a second line d-man. Maata earned this role last year. Nice complement)

Chiarot - Holl
(My gut says one of them will surprise us in a good way, the other in a bad way. Not sure where to place my chips yet. I think Steve pounces on any opportunity to replace the worst of this pair with a Lindstrom, Edvinsson, Wallinder, Johansson, or whoever really impresses/surprises)
I personally think that Chiarot is best off paired with Maatta and playing the right side. The two new guys should play together on the third pairing.

I have a feeling yzerman isn’t completely done with our defense. There’s no way he’s counting on Lindstrom to be the 7th man.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
I personally think that Chiarot is best off paired with Maatta and playing the right side. The two new guys should play together on the third pairing.

I have a feeling yzerman isn’t completely done with our defense. There’s no way he’s counting on Lindstrom to be the 7th man.

Yeah the other d-men he’s looking at are in our system. I think people underestimate the talent we will have on the blue line in GR. More than you’ll find in the current UFA market. I guess Steve could trade for one, but at what cost? He very much acknowledges this is still an unfinished product and would like to hold important assets.

Last edited:

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

Yzerman made a point in the presser saying that Ghost player over 50% of his even strength minutes last season on the Right side. Said Ghost is comfortable playing the right side.

So I assume that is the plan for now…

Reactions: Macoun

brett89

Jun 29, 2016
That's about the going rate for 40-50 pt centers, then next there's Larkin tier and then Matthews/Mackinnon level.

You guys are operating under cap numbers from 10 years ago.
you aint kidding. crazy how much players are making now

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ras should be playing in the top 6 on the wing if he finds his skating form post injury. Assuming he is healed and still is where his game was last year I think that is his best role. I know he can shut guys down, but I think we should see what kind of power forward he can become. It looked like it was clicking, I would still like to see him get meaner, but I want to see if his offense can come in that role. He actually turned into a pretty good puck retriever at times last year. Curious what LaLonde does there. 4th line doesn't seem likely he has to be somewhere in the top 9 if he looks like the same guy.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Ras should be playing in the top 6 on the wing if he finds his skating form post injury. Assuming he is healed and still is where his game was last year I think that is his best role. I know he can shut guys down, but I think we should see what kind of power forward he can become. It looked like it was clicking, I would still like to see him get meaner, but I want to see if his offense can come in that role. He actually turned into a pretty good puck retriever at times last year. Curious what LaLonde does there. 4th line doesn't seem likely he has to be somewhere in the top 9 if he looks like the same guy.

Rasmussen Larkin Raymond has me intrigued.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad