Line Combos: Possible lineup after free agency ?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Honestly, with kostin kasper fischer as the 4th line might not be terrible. Kasper gets protection while getting his feet wet on the 4th that lalonde doesn’t play often anyways.

Would switch Perron and Fabbri but other than that, I wouldn’t be too upset with this lineup. Would definitely not want walman and ghost on the same line though lol switch ghost and maata and we got something going here

Chicago would be the best place honestly. They want vets on the team and they don’t care how bad they are. Next season is just a throw away let’s see what bedards got year.

The Wings played their best when Bertuzzi and Hronek were in the lineup last year. The players we picked up in free agency aren’t as good as last year’s pickups, and they’re mostly worse than the players they’re replacing.

Sprong < Vrana
Kostin > Erne (maybe)
Ghost < Hronek
Compher < Bertuzzi
Holl > Oesterle/Hagg
Reimer = Ned (we’re gonna hate Reimer. He’s a sieve)
Fischer < Suter

I don’t think Kasper starts the season in Detroit either. They want to put him in an offensive role, not on the 4th line.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The Wings played their best when Bertuzzi and Hronek were in the lineup last year. The players we picked up in free agency aren’t as good as last year’s pickups, and they’re mostly worse than the players they’re replacing.

Sprong < Vrana
Kostin > Erne (maybe)
Ghost < Hronek
Compher < Bertuzzi
Holl > Oesterle/Hagg
Fischer < Suter

I don’t think Kasper starts the season in Detroit either. They want to put him in an offensive role, not on the 4th line.
You make it sound like we have to replace 82 games of Bert and Vrana when they barely played.

I think talent wise it’s about a wash if we are talking about the roster we actually iced for the majority of the year.

The team could be better or worse. Depends on a number of things like if Raymond takes a step, we get more depth scoring, more consistent goaltending, better puck luck etc

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Seattle is one of the fastest teams in the league, you can't just look at stats and say geez, we're the same, lol. Plus the Wings have too many players that don't like to move the puck, exact opposite of Seattle.
Yeah, I'll start buying that angle when guys like Chiarot and Holl start skating like vintage EK.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

Sprong < Vrana
Kostin > Erne (maybe)
Ghost < Hronek
Compher < Bertuzzi
Holl > Oesterle/Hagg
Fischer < Suter

i don’t agree with most of this.

Compher isn’t a Bertuzzi replacement. He’s a Suter replacement as 2C or Copp is that and Compher replaces Copp on that line.

The team is demonstrably stronger heading into 23-24 than it was in 22-23.

They eat an injury to fabbri and, let’s say, Perron and they’ve still got NHL level players who can play. As opposed to last year when Czarnik got an alarming amount of time.

Holl and Ghost are so much better than Haag or Oesterle it isn’t funny. They don’t now NEED Simon Edvinsson to ball out to survive. If he does, it’ll mean great things for them.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Honestly, with kostin kasper fischer as the 4th line might not be terrible. Kasper gets protection while getting his feet wet on the 4th that lalonde doesn’t play often anyways.

Would switch Perron and Fabbri but other than that, I wouldn’t be too upset with this lineup. Would definitely not want walman and ghost on the same line though lol switch ghost and maata and we got something going here

Chicago would be the best place honestly. They want vets on the team and they don’t care how bad they are. Next season is just a throw away let’s see what bedards got year.
Oops didn't mean to do that, wanted walman with seider

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
The Wings played their best when Bertuzzi and Hronek were in the lineup last year.

True for Hronek, who really produced... but Bert had 14 points in 29 games and was -12. He looked a lot worse than the previous season (his career best, ofc).

And how can Sprong be worse than Vrana, when Sprong had a such a great season and played 40 more games? What are the odds Vrana plays a full season next year?

Reactions: David D

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
You make it sound like we have to replace 82 games of Bert and Vrana when they barely played.

I think talent wise it’s about a wash if we are talking about the roster we actually iced for the majority of the year.

The team could be better or worse. Depends on a number of things like if Raymond takes a step, we get more depth scoring, more consistent goaltending, better puck luck etc
I think Raymond takes a huge step this year. At the worlds, he was putting it in at different angles. I’m hopeful and somewhat confident on it

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Wallinder gonna push for a 2nd-3rd pair spot straight outta camp. People be sleeping on him.

We aint paying holl or chariot 3.5 plus million to sit in the press box

Walman-Seider
Maata-Chariot
Ghost-Holl
Lindstrom

Of course injuries happen but no matter how good or bad any of those six play, that's the lineup

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Walman-Seider
Maata-Chariot
Ghost-Holl
Lindstrom

Of course injuries happen but no matter how good or bad any of those six play, that's the lineup
I don't disagree. But unless Seider and Walman have pixie dust to play 55 minutes a night, there will be a lot more scary moments on defense than many are acknowledging.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
True for Hronek, who really produced... but Bert had 14 points in 29 games and was -12. He looked a lot worse than the previous season (his career best, ofc).

And how can Sprong be worse than Vrana, when Sprong had a such a great season and played 40 more games? What are the odds Vrana plays a full season next year?

Look at our record with Bert in the lineup, not the points. We were a playoff team when he played.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Look at our record with Bert in the lineup, not the points. We were a playoff team when he played.
You want some terrifying correlation yet not causation from last season?

In games when Chiarot was getting 1st pairing ice time, 21:30+, the Wings were 16-6-5. A 111pt pace.
In games when Chiarot was getting 3rd pairing ice time, less than 18:45, the Wings were 1-9-2. Considerably less than a 111pt pace.

Context matters. Bert playing or not playing was not the difference maker.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You want some terrifying correlation yet not causation from last season?

In games when Chiarot was getting 1st pairing ice time, 21:30+, the Wings were 16-6-5. A 111pt pace.
In games when Chiarot was getting 3rd pairing ice time, less than 18:45, the Wings were 1-9-2. Considerably less than a 111pt pace.

Context matters. Bert playing or not playing was not the difference maker.

That's actually kinda of interesting

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That's actually kinda of interesting
It's something. With the new acquisitions I was looking at playing time and less how the player did but the team, and Chiarot's shift in record between top pairing TOI and bottom pairing TOI is by far the biggest.

Barring the 2 game outliers for Hronek and Mo who only played sub 18:45 twice all year.

My only theory is that in games we are trailing, Chia is going to play less because we need offense. So being that we are already trailing we are more likely to lose. And ditto the inverse.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018

Walman-Seider
Maata-Chariot
Ghost-Holl
Lindstrom

What do you mean? Teams do it all the time. It’s called a meritocracy, and you better believe that after the lack of success the Wings have had for the better part of decade, the best players will play.

I doubt Steve will prioritize his finances or certainly his pride ahead of giving this team the best chance to compete.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What do you mean? Teams do it all the time. It’s called a meritocracy, and you better believe that after the lack of success the Wings have had for the better part of decade, the best players will play.

I doubt Steve will prioritize his finances or certainly his pride ahead of giving this team the best chance to compete.
I don't think money plays a role, that's sunk cost at this point and Wallinder is cheaper.

I don't think he makes the roster because he's going to get time in GR first. They know they made a mistake with Elmer, they won't do it again, especially with a full roster.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1688382943892.png

1688383030534.png

Seasons 2013-14 & 2014-15 at Michigan University.

Copp with Compher ?
Larkin with Copp ?

All at separate lines as Centers on their own ?
X - Larkin - X
X - Compher - X
X - Copp - X

Copp - Larkin - Compher, all together?

Something to think about for Lalonde. :)

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Perron - Larkin - Raymond
Kubalik - Copp - Raz
Berggren - Compher - Sprong
Fabbri - Veleno - Kostin
Zadina/Fisher/Luff/whoever

Walman - Seider
Maataa - Chairot
Ghost - Holl
Lindstrom/Ed I guess

Husso - Reimer
Lyon/Cossa

EDIT: Forgot Kostin

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
Yzerman would've too.
Part of being a GM involves keeping communication open. Yzerman seems engaged on his terms and once a player or rep moves past his hard-line he is finished with them. I’m not sure that bodes well for acquiring any high end talent outside the draft.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricelund

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Part of being a GM involves keeping communication open. Yzerman seems engaged on his terms and once a player or rep moves past his hard-line he is finished with them. I’m not sure that bodes well for acquiring any high end talent outside the draft.
Bertuzzi wouldn’t have signed a one year deal here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad