Line Combos: Possible lineup after free agency ?

brett89

Jun 29, 2016
Perron - Larkin - Raymond
Kubalik - Copp - Raz
Berggren - Compher - Sprong
Fabbri - Veleno - Kostin
Zadina/Fisher/Luff/whoever

Walman - Seider
Maataa - Chairot
Ghost - Holl
Lindstrom/Ed I guess

Husso - Reimer
Lyon/Cossa

EDIT: Forgot Kostin
crap i hope not 5.1m for a 3rd line center

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Part of being a GM involves keeping communication open. Yzerman seems engaged on his terms and once a player or rep moves past his hard-line he is finished with them. I’m not sure that bodes well for acquiring any high end talent outside the draft.
Yep. Did a real f***in disservice to him in dealing with Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Drouin, Nikita Kucherov, Victor Hedman, Dylan Larkin, etc.

For the love of god, do half of you people think? Yzerman is in open communication with these guys. He also has shown a pretty good feeling for what guys are worth. TyBert took the 1yr, 5.5m from Toronto for the same reason Klingberg took 1x7. He wanted term and term wasn't there. That contract was NEVER on the table for Yzerman to discuss. No, what doesn't bode well is that Detroit's main selling point to anyone is having a great team. If you have a really good team, guys don't mind signing in Detroit. But if you're putting Detroit up vs. the beaches in Florida or California, the big city draw of NYC, Chicago, or Toronto? Or the good ol' Canadian boys loving the wide open spaces out west... they're at a disadvantage there.

The Wings have to build a sustainably good team and then you'll get the high flying players like Marian Hossa dying to come to Detroit to try to win.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
crap i hope not 5.1m for a 3rd line center
I think people also need to get this bullcrap out of their minds too. Is he a good player or not? If he's a good player, he'll probably play more than the 12-13 minutes you'd expect for that "role".

Reactions: Henkka

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
This is a perfect strategy. Keep the young guys away from developing into NHL players let alone important roles and avoid top draft picks. Just keep plugging the team every season.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That's about the going rate for 40-50 pt centers, then next there's Larkin tier and then Matthews/Mackinnon level.

You guys are operating under cap numbers from 10 years ago.
Except that Compher might struggle to crack 30 points on this roster.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We said the same thing about Copp and he had 42 points last season.
I would sooner expect Copp to score 60 points than Compher to score 45. He's a Copp with a noticeably lower ceiling. I think 50 and 35 is about what each will provide this season, assuming everyone stays healthy.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Also, Christian Fisher was signed to play on a team and not be a healthy scratch/13 forward. Especially if you watch his interview on YouTube on the Red Wings channel, he will play and probably play a solid amount of minutes.

View attachment 725350

I'm hopeful for something like this opening night no injuries, 2 and 3 can be interchanged, I know Fabbri being 4C probably won't happen. Would Hope Ed can make it even tho he's not listed.
Seems realistic and fun enough considering the situation.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Cant see how putting berggren helps him and seeing how he produced his rookie season cant see it happening

Rasmussen Larkin raymond
Kubalik compher perron
Berggren copp sprong
Kostin veleno fischer
Fabbri

Sadly looks like the zadina experiment is over unless kubalik is dealt now instead of waiting till the trade deadline. Hopefully he bounces back elsewhere

Maata seider
Chiarot gostisbehere
Walman holl

Sadly looks like edvinsson starts down. I know walman and seider played good together and likely will but I'd try and have 1 dman each pair capable of playing offense

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Cant see how putting berggren helps him and seeing how he produced his rookie season cant see it happening

Rasmussen Larkin raymond
Kubalik compher perron
Berggren copp sprong
Kostin veleno fischer
Fabbri

Sadly looks like the zadina experiment is over unless kubalik is dealt now instead of waiting till the trade deadline. Hopefully he bounces back elsewhere

Maata seider
Chiarot gostisbehere
Walman holl

Sadly looks like edvinsson starts down. I know walman and seider played good together and likely will but I'd try and have 1 dman each pair capable of playing offense
I agree that Berggren has to play. I think Kasper can do some good developing in the AHL. Let him light it up down there and develop his offensive game. Berggren has nothing to prove in the A.

Reactions: letsgowings9999

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
True for Hronek, who really produced... but Bert had 14 points in 29 games and was -12. He looked a lot worse than the previous season (his career best, ofc).

And how can Sprong be worse than Vrana, when Sprong had a such a great season and played 40 more games? What are the odds Vrana plays a full season next year?
How funny, I agree with you, but same time Last season was Bertuzzi best one

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I posted this in another thread, didn't see this thread, so I am just reposting it here in case it fits better****

I honestly believe that JT will outperform Copp and either move to his wing or be the 3C. I would love it, if we could package up Zadina + Veleno + whatever else for a meaningful acquisition (yes I prefer Debrincat or Nylander but I've lost hope at this point so whatever) and we have a center depth going into the season with:

Larkin - Compher - Copp - Kasper

If we don't get rid of Veleno, then I would want:

Larkin - Compher - Kasper - Veleno

This would move Copp to Kasper's wing and give him some help, while playing a wing position that I think Copp is more suited for at this point (just like Rasmussen who plays exponentially better as a winger than center...reminds me of the old days with Filippula).

Lineup with these changes and what I would most want at this point

Kubalik - Larkin - Meaningful trade acquisition
Rasmussen - Compher - Raymond
Copp - Kasper - Sprong
Kostin - Soderblom - Berggren (says soderblom plays center? why not give it a go)
Perron/Fischer

Walman - Seider
Maatta - Ghost
Holl - Chiarot
Lindstrom

Yes, this would leave out Zadina, Perron, Fabbri, and others. I think we should just use Perron sparingly at this point, give the minutes to the players I listed because I actually think this team will be extremely difficult and frustrating to play against. Don't necessarily see them outperforming the Devils/Leafs and others, but I think it gives us a good chance. The meaningful acquisition, if it doesn't happen, would slide everyone on the right up and put Perron or Fabbri on the 3rd line with Kasper and Copp. Gives Kasper two very veteran players to build confidence and work ethic around.

Reactions: DatsDeking

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I think Compher ends up playing wing as much as he ends up playing C - playing an all-rounder Bert style role alongside Larkin. Compher did end up getting shifts with McKinnon and Ratanen last year as a winger and as a C, and given the hole left by Bert leaving, it seems like a natural spot for him.

There's a couple of different looks I think we'll see depending on health and chemistry

Compher - Larkin - Raymond
Perron - Copp - Berggren
Kubalik - Rasmussen - Sprong
Fischer/Kostin - Veleno - Zadina

This is pretty self-explanatory. Push JT to embrace his inner pest again and step into a Bertuzzi role alongside Larkin and Raymond, follow up on shots and puck pursuit, hound on the forecheck and pressure the puck for turnover, have the skill to finish a setup, etc. This creates a pretty balanced 2nd line and gives Copp a natural off-hand sniper with Perron for one-timers while he's in the slot and Berggren moving around the outside using his playmaking, etc.

Wanting to spread it out a bit more...

Kubalik - Larkin - Raymond
Perron - Compher - Sprong
Kostin - Copp - Rasmussen
Fischer - Veleno - Berggren/Zadina

There could be a fun NDTP/UM line with:

Compher - Larkin - Copp (don't know if they ever played on the same line at UM even though they were all there)

The question marks here are going to be Fabbri's health, Soderblom and Kasper in training camp and if they can impress enough to push out a veteran (Veleno/Zadina being the logical choices here)

I don't know, this grouping looks to be at least interesting with some potentially fun line combos and gets even more intriguing if Fabbri and Kasper get into the mix

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Except that Compher might struggle to crack 30 points on this roster.
Put compher on 2C with Rasmussen and Raymond, and we will get 40+ points out of Compher.

Yes, that is banking on Rasmussen to continue his progression and Raymond progressing after his sophomore slump. Larkin went from 32 points in his second year to 63 (all extra points came from assists btw) his second year, basically 2x. No, I am not saying Raymond can double his production (although that would be fantastic) but this would mean he would go from 45 points to 90.

Penciling in Raymond to get 65-80 points this season and if he plays mostly with Compher and Rasmussen, I see both of them getting more than 35 points each bare minimum.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I posted this in another thread, didn't see this thread, so I am just reposting it here in case it fits better****

I honestly believe that JT will outperform Copp and either move to his wing or be the 3C. I would love it, if we could package up Zadina + Veleno + whatever else for a meaningful acquisition (yes I prefer Debrincat or Nylander but I've lost hope at this point so whatever) and we have a center depth going into the season with:

Larkin - Compher - Copp - Kasper

If we don't get rid of Veleno, then I would want:

Larkin - Compher - Kasper - Veleno

This would move Copp to Kasper's wing and give him some help, while playing a wing position that I think Copp is more suited for at this point (just like Rasmussen who plays exponentially better as a winger than center...reminds me of the old days with Filippula).

Lineup with these changes and what I would most want at this point

Kubalik - Larkin - Meaningful trade acquisition
Rasmussen - Compher - Raymond
Copp - Kasper - Sprong
Kostin - Soderblom - Berggren (says soderblom plays center? why not give it a go)
Perron/Fischer

Walman - Seider
Maatta - Ghost
Holl - Chiarot
Lindstrom

Yes, this would leave out Zadina, Perron, Fabbri, and others. I think we should just use Perron sparingly at this point, give the minutes to the players I listed because I actually think this team will be extremely difficult and frustrating to play against. Don't necessarily see them outperforming the Devils/Leafs and others, but I think it gives us a good chance. The meaningful acquisition, if it doesn't happen, would slide everyone on the right up and put Perron or Fabbri on the 3rd line with Kasper and Copp. Gives Kasper two very veteran players to build confidence and work ethic around.
You are out of your mind having Perron out of the lineup. Guy is still a heck of a player

Zadina on waivers

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
You are out of your mind having Perron out of the lineup. Guy is still a heck of a player
I just don't see it anymore. His name carries more weight than his actual play does. I've been harping on this since after the trade deadline, so I won't re-hash it out here.

He is slow, doesn't backcheck if the guy is 2-3+ steps ahead, gives up the puck more often than doing something good with it (especially on the powerplay), only had good numbers on the powerplay because he holds on to it for forever so it naturally gives him more of a shot to get points (that's why his primary assists is at 0.7/60 while his secondary is 0.2/60), he shoots it wide acting like he is Ovi which makes the puck escape the zone almost every time. Just go back and watch games where our PP was 0-3+ and watch him the entire time. He either loses it by hanging on to it too long and someone pressures him, or he shoots it wide behind the net, or he actually hits the net but has no weight/speed behind the shot that it looks like a beach ball.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009

Rasmussen Larkin raymond
Kubalik compher perron
Berggren copp sprong
Kostin veleno fischer
Fabbri

Maata seider
Chiarot gostisbehere
Walman holl

You’ve got a lot of sadly going on there. Also don’t expect Maatta to be with Mo since Walman and Seider had tons of chemistry together and Maata never played a minute of even strength with Mo last season

Reactions: Holden Caufield

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Put compher on 2C with Rasmussen and Raymond, and we will get 40+ points out of Compher.

Yes, that is banking on Rasmussen to continue his progression and Raymond progressing after his sophomore slump. Larkin went from 32 points in his second year to 63 (all extra points came from assists btw) his second year, basically 2x. No, I am not saying Raymond can double his production (although that would be fantastic) but this would mean he would go from 45 points to 90.

Penciling in Raymond to get 65-80 points this season and if he plays mostly with Compher and Rasmussen, I see both of them getting more than 35 points each bare minimum.
I like how Rasmussen progressed and I expect continued growth from both him and Raymond.

But I think Compher is closer to a buyout candidate than a 2C that will help any of the kids. He's a career 35 point player that got a one time boost from a much much better player in Raantanen.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is a perfect strategy. Keep the young guys away from developing into NHL players let alone important roles and avoid top draft picks. Just keep plugging the team every season.
Only concern for me is Berggren having to play in Grand Rapids.

For everyone else (Kasper, Mazur, Lombardi, Elmer) I think playing bigger minutes in GR is the correct move.

At least as far as forwards go...

I think if Edvinsson goes to camp and is 100% healthy he will make the team, so I am not too worried about that. But we will see.

Reactions: SoupNazi and NickH8

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Now I know the lineup.

Yzerman hinted it too much at the presser.

X - Larkin - X
X- Compher - X
X - Copp - X
Kostin - Rasmussen - Fischer

When they were talking about getting Fischer and Kostin, Yzerman said "our coaching staff would like to build a defensive physical line, which could go against any opposite line".

This will mean a "grind-line"-ideology. Martin - Cizikas- Clutterbuck, Maltby - Draper - McCarty.

This was pure music on my ears. :yo:

The wingers were mentioned, only question is the Center. Veleno isn't physical, and can¨t win faceoffs. Copp is physical and our best at faceoffs. Still think that his 5M skill is best used at more offensive lines.

So it leaves Rasmussen to Center that next generation Grind-line.

And I love this talk, this ideology.

There's those six X's for offensive line wingers. LW Fabbri/Kubalik/Sprong, RW Raymond/Perron/Berggren.

Build it as you wish.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Now I know the lineup.

Yzerman hinted it too much at the presser.

X - Larkin - X
X- Compher - X
X - Copp - X
Kostin - Rasmussen - Fischer

When they were talking about getting Fischer and Kostin, Yzerman said "our coaching staff would like to build a defensive physical line, which could go against any opposite line".

This will mean a "grind-line"-ideology. Martin - Cizikas- Clutterbuck, Maltby - Draper - McCarty.

This was pure music on my ears. :yo:

The wingers were mentioned, only question is the Center. Veleno isn't physical, and can¨t win faceoffs. Copp is physical and our best at faceoffs. Still think that his 5M skill is best used at more offensive lines.

So it leaves Rasmussen to Center that next generation Grind-line.

And I love this talk, this ideology.

There's those six X's for offensive line wingers. LW Fabbri/Kubalik/Sprong, RW Raymond/Perron/Berggren.

Build it as you wish.
It will be Veleno on the 4th not Rass. Rass is a winger not a Center don’t know why people still think he is a C

Reactions: norrisnick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad