Line Combos: Possible lineup after free agency ?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ducks are still under the cap. We should see if they want Fabbri. Something has to give up front.

Reactions: lgrws91

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Don't forget Berggren. Had 28 points in 65 games in his first season, not too shabby. I estimate him at 40+ for the 2nd season, if he doesn't miss games.
He's a playmaker, not a finisher. He might have more assists this year, but with the options available for his linemates, Detroit is not doing him any favors.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Fabbri Larkin Raymond
Ras Compher Perron
Berggren Copp Sprong
Kubalik Veleno Kostin
Fischer/Zadina

Walman Seider
Mattaa Ghost
Chiarot Holl
Neither Sprong nor Fabbri will play 70 games. Probably the 45-55 range for Fabbri and perhaps 65 for Sprong. So there are 50 games out there for another Forward.

appiepi

Nov 17, 2021
Hate to be the pessimist but these rosters are ugly. Its even more depressing that all these mediocre UFAs will be clogging the roster and we wont even have any young promising prospects in the lineup. The notion that Berggren might not even be in the starting lineup is very frustrating. Idk this team is better than the team that finished the 2023 season but not the team that we had at the deadline. I'll be expecting another high pick, i guess.

On a more positive note, our team should be more frisky which will make the games more entertaining to watch. I don't expect the team to be pushed around.

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
He had surgery May 2nd. He should be at training camp. Probably non-contact like Copp was til the very end.

The surgery wasn't injury related, so if there was any doubt about his fall availability they would have shut him down earlier than they did.
Hope he's at training camp, but that is only 4.5 months from the surgery date and the recovery timeline was up to 6 months.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Well, it is not really that bad given the circumstances. We improved slightly in all the areas including G (Reimer is better than Ned), D (Holl is better than Hagg/Lindstrom, Gostisbehere is roughly equal to Hronek, while we won't try to play Chariot on the 1sr pair), and O (last season we had 1st line, 3rd line and two 4th lines, now 1st line, two 3rd lines and 4th line). We may also have some young guys contributing, Soderblom, Kasper.

Recall that we were pretty much in playoff hunt up until February. We won't win the cup but may count on the playoffs. At least it will be watchable.

Reactions: sepster

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
He's a playmaker, not a finisher. He might have more assists this year, but with the options available for his linemates, Detroit is not doing him any favors.

Well, he had more goals than assists last season, so he can make them on his own, if the chance is there. But you're right, in the minors he was more of a setup guy.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Did we get better defensively, did we get harder to play against?

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I think the funniest thing about Chiarot is he was supposed to be this steady, stabilizing force for our young D, and instead is the erratic, puck chasing spaz leaving his partner to cover him being way out of position when he’s chasing to do too much.

Maybe the bottom four correction here is truly to treat Chiarot as the wildcard that he is on the LD, plant Holl next to him and to “Hey! Just play your position!” And letting Ghost up on the RD to wheel and deal next to Mattaa who was that positionally reliable pylon to Hronek which wasn’t really a natural
Option as Chiarot was playing out of position next to Maatta on the right.

Could this be an overall better mix but bringing in a less dynamic Holl as a way to help correct and balance out Chiarot, and brining in Ghost to recreate the offensive production and balance of the Maatta - Hronek pair pre deadline?

Fingers crossed

Reactions: norrisnick

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
The Seattle Kraken took out the reigning Champions in the 1st round. They came withing one game of the Western Conference final.

Their leading scorer, Jared McCann. He scored 40 goals. He'd only scored 20 one other time in his career. The leading scoring defenseman was Vince Dunn with 64 points. He'd never had more than 35 in any other season in his career.

The majority of their forwards scored 15-20, or what you would call bottom 6 forwards like the Wings have amassed.

Their 4th highest scoring forward was Daniel Sprong. He's now a Red Wing.

Both of their goaltenders were under a .900 save percentage in the regular season.

The rest of their roster, save Matty Beniers, was for the most part, a rag-tag bunch of journeyman players that just 2 years ago other teams didn't seem to need enough to keep.

That team finished with 100 points in the regular year.

I think the Red Wings roster as of today, is just as good as that Seattle roster.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The Seattle Kraken took out the reigning Champions in the 1st round. They came withing one game of the Western Conference final.

Their leading scorer, Jared McCann. He scored 40 goals. He'd only scored 20 one other time in his career. The leading scoring defenseman was Vince Dunn with 64 points. He'd never had more than 35 in any other season in his career.

The majority of their forwards scored 15-20, or what you would call bottom 6 forwards like the Wings have amassed.

Both of their goaltenders were under a .900 save percentage in the regular season.

The rest of their roster, save Matty Beniers, was for the most part, a rag-tag bunch of journeyman players that just 2 years ago other teams didn't seem to need enough to keep.

I think the Red Wings roster as of today, is just as good as that Seattle roster.
Seattle is one of the fastest teams in the league, you can't just look at stats and say geez, we're the same, lol. Plus the Wings have too many players that don't like to move the puck, exact opposite of Seattle.

Reactions: jkutswings

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Is Ras expected to be healthy at the start of the season? Or better pre-season? If so, I'd like to see him in that spot.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
At forward I see it being pretty much like Henkka said:

Fabbri-Larkin-Raymond
Kubalik-Compher-Perron
Rasmussen-Copp-X
Kostin-Veleno-Fischer

I think X is a battle between Berggren, Zadina, and Elmer

Edit - whoops forgot we signed Sprong too, lol

On defense what I would like to see is:

Walman-Seider
Edvinsson-Maatta
Ghost-Holl

But I’m not sure how to make Chiarot disappear/vanish just yet.

Give a 3rd to Arizona or Chicago.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

I get wanting to be more optimistic, but I think this roster is worse than last year on paper. Maybe they can be better and tougher defensively? I certainly hope so.

As for being as good as Seattle? Far from it. That Seattle team is a top 3 skating team in the league, and that is what allowed them to play their system so successfully. Detroit is bottom 10 and their lack of speed is what I’d attribute to the lack of success. (As well as health and unforeseen stuff with Vrana)

Reactions: jkutswings

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Wouldn't be surprised if Zadina and/or Veleno are on their way out. Used CapFriendly to make a lineup and Veleno was already not on there due to not being signed yet so went with him being out. Either way whoever stays between the two will probably be a scratch anyway.

View attachment 725348
Honestly, with kostin kasper fischer as the 4th line might not be terrible. Kasper gets protection while getting his feet wet on the 4th that lalonde doesn’t play often anyways.

Would switch Perron and Fabbri but other than that, I wouldn’t be too upset with this lineup. Would definitely not want walman and ghost on the same line though lol switch ghost and maata and we got something going here

Give a 3rd to Arizona or Chicago.
Chicago would be the best place honestly. They want vets on the team and they don’t care how bad they are. Next season is just a throw away let’s see what bedards got year.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I get wanting to be more optimistic, but I think this roster is worse than last year on paper. Maybe they can be better and tougher defensively? I certainly hope so.

As for being as good as Seattle? Far from it. That Seattle team is a top 3 skating team in the league, and that is what allowed them to play their system so successfully. Detroit is bottom 10 and their lack of speed is what I’d attribute to the lack of success. (As well as health and unforeseen stuff with Vrana)
How so?

Sprong is a better version of Zadina. Compher is an upgrade over Suter and veleno. Kostin gives us actual toughness and is better than sunny (sorry @OgeeOgelthorpe ). Ghost and hronek may end up being a wash, slight edge hronek? Holl is better than Lindstrom, hagg, and oesterle combined.

Take the cap hits out of it and the team is actually better on paper. It’s just not what we all wanted. Never know, could be a trade coming to take out Zadina, berggren (sad face), and others.

And if we are middle of the road team by thanksgiving, I could see us trading ghost as long as he’s playing great to make room for ed when his injury is done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad