Line Combos: Possible lineup after free agency ?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Options for the checking line are:

LW
- Kostin and... ?

RW
- Fischer
- maybe Perron and...?

Center
- Rasmussen
- Copp
- Kasper is multiple players are injured.

Maybe Rasmussen is a winger and Copp goes to 4th line.

Rasmussen - Larkin - DeBrincat
X - Compher - X
X - 3rd line Center missing - X
Kostin - Copp - Fischer/perron

Need 5 players and best of the 5 rest are wingers (Raymond, Perron, Berggren, Fabbri, Sprong). Then there's Veleno and Czarnik, weak spot in the middle. Not my ideal team.

Can't build a complete team. They are not gonna build stupid lines, after they got those extra players.
Exactly. So stop putting Rasmussen or Copp at the 4C spot.

Larkin, Copp, Compher are the top 3 centers.

Unless Kasper blows the doors off camp and then one of the above gets to slide to wing. 4C will, with about 90% certainty, be Veleno unless there are injuries then Kasper and/or Czarnik get the call.

Those are the top 6 centers we're running with this season. If we need more than 6, welcome to the NHL, Lombardi or Doucet!

Reactions: flychairman

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If you guys get Petry (RD) for free, is it good or bad?
Too late, that could have happened before Ghost and Holl signed, but I don't see Stevie picking up another D, especially with a high end prospect (Edvinsson) pushing to join the roster midseason.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Too late, that could have happened before Ghost and Holl signed, but I don't see Stevie picking up another D, especially with a high end prospect (Edvinsson) pushing to join the roster midseason.

So, despite Edvinsson and Petry playing different sides and Wings have Lindström as their third "natural" RD AND you have the cap space you probably will play Chiarot or Ghost on the right side?

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
So, despite Edvinsson and Petry playing different sides and Wings have Lindström as their third "natural" RD AND you have the cap space you probably will play Chiarot or Ghost on the right side?
Seider, Ghost an Holl on the right side

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Seems like you have achieved a good balance between players out and talent in now!

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Would love to see the Red Wings try these lines

Debrincat (sniper) - Larkin (play driver) - Berggren (play maker)/poor man patty kane with his nasty sauce passes)
Sprong (sniper) - Compher (play driver) - Raymond (play maker)
Perron (sniper) - Copp - (Reliable C) - Rasmussen (better on the wing)
Kostin - Kasper - Fischer (piss off the other team banger line with some finish)
Fabbri IR?
Veleno 13th fwd

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Ghost
Maatta - Holl/Chiarot

Husso
Lyon/Reimer (ride the hot hand)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

This was nice podcast to watch.

Think the special teams will be a bit differ, but very nice mix-ups.

Ghost-Chiarot as a defensive pairing screams worst defensive pair in the league. Ben Chiarot is better off playing with a low impact defender like Holl as it allows Chiarot to play like he's the puck carrier. (He sucks at it, but it's better to have him next to someone that can't be a puck rusher as we saw last year.)

Also, Rasmussen as 4th line center is just plain dumb. He can be a 40-50 point winger or a 20 point 4th line center. I know which one I'd rather have him as.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
How many podcasts did you suffer through until you finally found one with Ras as the 4C? Only center they got right was Larkin as the 1C.

Never even heard of these guys...

giphy.gif

Reactions: norrisnick

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How many podcasts did you suffer through until you finally found one with Ras as the 4C? Only center they got right was Larkin as the 1C.

Never even heard of these guys...

I laughed more for those other podcasts suggesting career-winger Fabbri as a 4th line C.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ghost-Chiarot as a defensive pairing screams worst defensive pair in the league. Ben Chiarot is better off playing with a low impact defender like Holl as it allows Chiarot to play like he's the puck carrier. (He sucks at it, but it's better to have him next to someone that can't be a puck rusher as we saw last year.)

So they juggle pairs. Imo, those 2nd-3rd pairs are mostly irrelevant, as long as Walman-Seider stays as top pair.

It's more of the end usage, Gostisbehere will be heavily used to start from O.Zone and Holl from D.zone. Those are the right side guys. Seider plays the hybrid-role.

So you can juggle between Määttä or Chiarot.

Walman - Seider, Top pair, hybrid pair, used in both ends.
Määttä - Ghost, mostly Offensive-Zone starts
Chiarot - Holl, mostly Defensive-Zone starts

If Chiarot is so bad defensively, maybe he should be on that O-zone pair and trusted defensively solid Määttä on the D-zone pair?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
So they juggle pairs. Imo, those 2nd-3rd pairs are mostly irrelevant, as long as Walman-Seider stays as top pair.

It's more of the end usage, Gostisbehere will be heavily used to start from O.Zone and Holl from D.zone. Those are the right side guys. Seider plays the hybrid-role.

So you can juggle between Määttä or Chiarot.

Walman - Seider, Top pair, hybrid pair, used in both ends.
Määttä - Ghost, mostly Offensive-Zone starts
Chiarot - Holl, mostly Defensive-Zone starts

If Chiarot is so bad defensively, maybe he should be on that O-zone pair and trusted defensively solid Määttä on the D-zone pair?

They're hardly irrelevant unless you plan on playing Seider and Walman 30 minutes a night.

You need your top D to play 23+
Your #2 to play 21+
Your #3 and 4 to play 20+

Even your bottom pair need to be reliable for 17+ minutes a night.

The best way to mitigate Chiarot is to reduce his icetime to 3rd pair icetime. We witnessed how bad Chiarot was with Seider and Hronek, 2 defensemen that are better offensively than him. We were warned by Montreal Canadiens fans here that he sucks defensively and doesn't make good use of his partner. How many times do you need to put your hand in the fire to realize it's hot?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They're hardly irrelevant unless you plan on playing Seider and Walman 30 minutes a night.

You need your top D to play 23+
Your #2 to play 21+
Your #3 and 4 to play 20+

Even your bottom pair need to be reliable for 17+ minutes a night.

Minutes are one thing, but mostly the 3rd pair goes against easiest lines, it¨s not even same game at 3rd pair vs. 1st pair opponents.

But for 100% sure, our 3rd pair is better than it was at any point of last season.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The best way to mitigate Chiarot is to reduce his icetime to 3rd pair icetime. We witnessed how bad Chiarot was with Seider and Hronek, 2 defensemen that are better offensively than him. We were warned by Montreal Canadiens fans here that he sucks defensively and doesn't make good use of his partner. How many times do you need to put your hand in the fire to realize it's hot?

You think Uncle Fester is afraid of a little fire? Dude can light a light bulb in his mouth.

I see this board going ballistic when Chiarot starts the season on the second pair. Fester likes him. I have no idea why.

Note: It's a prediction, not what I want. Don't confuse the 2.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
You think Uncle Fester is afraid of a little fire? Dude can light a light bulb in his mouth.

I see this board going ballistic when Chiarot starts the season on the second pair. Fester likes him. I have no idea why.

Note: It's a prediction, not what I want. Don't confuse the 2.

If that happens then my theory is it's a directive from Yzerman or someone in management. Chiarot makes more money than Maatta and is on longer term that makes him undesireable in a trade. Get your money's worth out of him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If that happens then my theory is it's a directive from Yzerman or someone in management. Chiarot makes more money than Maatta and is on longer term that makes him undesireable in a trade. Get your money's worth out of him.

I don't think so. The GM usually doesn't dictate player usage based on salary, otherwise Vrana would still be playing, and Abby would've played 2nd line.

Plus, if he's gonna trade Maatta, it would make more sense to showcase him. Not that it's necessary, Vancouver will want him as soon as they realize Hronek is useless without Maatta.

I'm basing my prediction on how Fester used him last season. I don't see Chiarot getting sheltered 3rd pair minutes. I'm hoping for the exact opposite though, Fester needs to be tough on Chiarot, but I'm doubting that it happens.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I don't think so. The GM usually doesn't dictate player usage based on salary, otherwise Vrana would still be playing, and Abby would've played 2nd line.

Plus, if he's gonna trade Maatta, it would make more sense to showcase him. Not that it's necessary, Vancouver will want him as soon as they realize Hronek is useless without Maatta.

I'm basing my prediction on how Fester used him last season. I don't see Chiarot getting sheltered 3rd pair minutes. I'm hoping for the exact opposite though, Fester needs to be tough on Chiarot, but I'm doubting that it happens.

I guess only time will tell. Only 2 more months and we'll find out if you're right.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I guess only time will tell. Only 2 more months and we'll find out if you're right.
I hope I'm wrong, but coaches don't see things the same way as fans.

I also see Fabbri getting way more ice time than people here are predicting, someone (it could have been you, I don't remember) mentioned his ice time last season. Same applies for Chiarot unfortunately.

I still think he puts a bigger player on the top line with DBC, not Ray. Probably Perron, but I'm actually hoping Raz took another step over the summer. That's all I'm willing to go out on a limb for. Fester likes Perron and Raz, so it's in line with his thinking.

Reactions: flychairman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad