Line Combos: Possible lineup after free agency ?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is (rotating Center) some kind of new nickname for Veleno?

No, because he will be a healthy scratch or unsigned.

Larkin 21 minutes
Compher 20 minutes
Copp 19 minutes

They'll rotate for 4 spots.

Tampa did use 11 forward system, in a different way, rotating every forward once at 4th line RW spot for 1 shift. Some guy like Killorn took 2 shifts if needed.

Usually 4th line winger without special teams role will play 10-11 minutes.

This way every guy got ~1 extra minutes and filled the "hole".

They had four righties at defence, and Hedman almost double-shifted on the left side. Sergachev also took some extra shifts.

It was build like this:

Hedman - Foote (Hedman 25 minutes, Foote 12 minutes)
McDonagh - Cernak
Hedman - Schenn (Hedman 25 minutes, Schenn 10 minutes)
Sergachev - Rutta

We could build this in mirror image and double-shift Seider same way:

Walman - Seider
Ghost - Petry
Määttä - Seider
Chiarot - Holl

It's same Lalonde in here, who was orchestrating that Tampa system.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No, because he will be a healthy scratch or unsigned.

Larkin 21 minutes
Compher 20 minutes
Copp 19 minutes

They'll rotate for 4 spots.
Compher's average icetime last 3 seasons is 17:33.
I don't think he's playing 20 minutes a night in a healthy lineup situation.

Could also see Copp shifting to wing where he worked well with Larkin.

18 minutes: Copp - Larkin - Debrincat
16 minutes: Fabbri- Compher - Raymond
13 minutes: Berggren - Veleno - Perron
13 minutes: Kostin - Rasmussen - Fischer

+/- 2 minutes depending on special teams, matchups and performance

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009

Why does everyone expect Fabbri to be healthy and Ras to play fourth line center?

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan

I like the idea of Copp at wing but don't like the idea of Ras on the 4th line. I think he's starting to unlock something. I'd love to find a way for him to get top 6 minutes at C or wing. You can also flex Compher to RW too. Just use him on faceoffs in the D/O zone when a righty is preferred on the draw. So my lineup will have a lot of rotating with Copp/Compher/Rasmussen.

I'd also love to see a Berggren/Debrincat or Raymond/Debrincat combo but that is a smallllll wing combo. You'd almost have to do
Debrincat - Rasmussen - Raymond/Berggren.

Rasmussen - Larkin - Debrincat
Raymond - Copp/Compher - Perron
Berggren - Copp/Compher - Sprong
Kostin - Veleno - Fabbri (if healthy)/Fischer

Reactions: Detroit Knights

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Updated D pairings in light of the trade. I figure Petry, Holl, and Chiarot can all kind of rotate.

Walman-Seider
Maataa-Petry
Ghost-Holl
Chiarot

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Updated D pairings in light of the trade. I figure Petry, Holl, and Chiarot can all kind of rotate.

Walman-Seider
Maataa-Petry
Ghost-Holl
Chiarot
I'd have to imagine all things being equal Petry won't rotate out as he is a right shot D. Holl will need to shit the bed to be rotating out too. I think the rotation will revolve (pun intended) around Chiarot/Maataa/Ghost more than the right shot D. Yzerman has stated many times he doesn't like them playing the off side. I'd give preference to Ghost over the other two since he can at least run a powerplay but we shall see.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I like the idea of Copp at wing but don't like the idea of Ras on the 4th line. I think he's starting to unlock something. I'd love to find a way for him to get top 6 minutes at C or wing. You can also flex Compher to RW too. Just use him on faceoffs in the D/O zone when a righty is preferred on the draw. So my lineup will have a lot of rotating with Copp/Compher/Rasmussen.

I'd also love to see a Berggren/Debrincat or Raymond/Debrincat combo but that is a smallllll wing combo. You'd almost have to do

I could see the "real" 4th line being Berggren-Veleno+someone though, with a Rasmussen line used for matchup roles.

I like your lineup well enough too, except I think Berggren+Sprong on the same line could be a defensive liability anytime they're not scoring.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I could see the "real" 4th line being Berggren-Veleno+someone though, with a Rasmussen line used for matchup roles.

I like your lineup well enough too, except I think Berggren+Sprong on the same line could be a defensive liability anytime they're not scoring.
Yeah the Berggren Sprong combo kind of had me scratching my head writing it down. I'm hoping with either Copp/Compher/Ras being the center there it will help that liability. I think Berggren is OK defensively(not a blackhole, but not a strength) but I admittedly don't know much about Sprong's defensive acumen and assume it's bad. I just like the idea of Berggren setting up Sprong for his shot, and hoping our 3rd line is just that much better than most other teams...

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Oh, please.

Zetterberg showed he was a versatile player from the start. It has taken several years and several position tries for Rasmussen to show there is one specific way he could potentially be useful for the long term.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just like Zetterberg wasn't. Until he was! o_O
Considering his improvement the last 2 seasons, anything is possible, I suppose.

Even if Raz plays center, it won't be as 4C though. Taking a 40 pt winger and putting him on the 4th line would be stupid. He's shown he's at least a solid middle 6 player in any capacity. Anyone who thinks he only deserves 13 minutes of ice time didn't watch any games last season. He was on fire before the injury.

It's like people are looking at just the season point totals instead of looking at points per game (or P/60, lol). Those same people are gonna be really disappointed in Sprong when he doesn't get the lucky bounces this year and gets benched by Lalonde. Sprong getting benched is almost as likely as Fabbri getting injured, both have happened 7 years in a row. Go check your stats kids.

Reactions: DamonDRW and 13to40

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Those same people are gonna be really disappointed in Sprong when he doesn't get the lucky bounces this year and gets benched by Lalonde. Sprong getting benched is almost as likely as Fabbri getting injured, both have happened 7 years in a row. Go check your stats kids.

That Sprong puck luck has now lasted for 3 seasons.

Think his lucky "bounces" just won't stop, all are earned.

1693387710633.png

This is 3-seasons combined, 5-on-5 only, no inflated by PP, or anything else.

Top5 at NHL per ice-time.

Daniel Sprong is the opposite Zadina. Zadina could skate and hustle all day long and won't get the puck between the pipes.

Sprong will snipe the puck on the net when not even asked. And no one notices him because of the small ice-time, until he scores. And scores again. and again. Every now and then.

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe Sprong will be the new Jakub Vrana. Remember all those metrics that showed Vrana was something like the best 5v5 goal scorer in the history of hockey? Good times.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Maybe Sprong will be the new Jakub Vrana. Remember all those metrics that showed Vrana was something like the best 5v5 goal scorer in the history of hockey? Good times.
Exactly the reason why I think Sprong gets healthy scratched for the 8th consecutive season. I think the odds are the same as Fabbri getting injured.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

honestly with rasmussen with larkin and debrincat could be a very good line. I didn't think too much of it because of copp/ras/perron was starting to click pretty well so I just assumed to keep them together. But I like ras on the top line, especially since he is only fuc*in 24. Amazing that he is still so damn young.

I would say I would prefer the second line be Berggren - compher - raymond because we need berggren to play top 6 minutes and with everyone thinking/wanting raymond to take a huge step this year, then getting berggren to get a lot of points would be expected/beneficial.

If that was the case, then third line in my eyes would be perron - copp - sprong/fabbri.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Before people b**** lol, having 8 competent NHL defenseman ready to go on your team is not a bad thing.
I would much rather have edvinnsson at 110% than shoving him in a condensed lineup at 80% at this point (even though his 80% is probably better than some of our defenseman's 100% based on trajectory). I used to get upset about these things but realized that we can have Ed for 10-20 years if managed properly, so waiting another 2-4 months before getting him full time is fine with me.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If Edvinsson cracks the roster and earns a spot, then Yzerman will definitely have a defenseman or two to flip for assets.
Ghost is likely dealt at the deadline unless we surprise everyone and kill it this year, which I doubt.
Maataa could be flipped too, even though I like him on the second pairing and wouldn't mind him staying around.
I'd love for Chiarot to be dealt, but he has to find a sucker first to take him. Maybe he can get Kenny on the phone...
Petry could be dealt too, but we are short right handed shots if he goes, plus who wants him?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Usually trade baits at the deadline are those guys who have only 1-year left on their contracts.

Tough to see anybody traded who has more term.

Reactions: lilidk

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Final lineup of what I hope to see by end of training camp: We shall see what happens during the camp and who could be pushed out.

Line 1: Ras - Larkin - DBC

That line would be our best 1st line in a decade. The best part is that it isn't our 3 best forwards either, so we can spread the offense around.

Line 2: Berggren - Compher - Raymond

I would really like to see Berg up with Raymond and getting significant minutes on the 2nd line. It has been clear in past games that he is too skilled for the 3rd line and when he plays with same or higher skilled forwards, he plays a lot better. Especially with his hockey IQ

Line 3: Perron - Copp - Fabbri/Sprong

Not in love with this line, but it is a very gritty 3rd line and is a scoring a threat from multiple angles. A lot of crash the net style play. I included Sprong for the inevitable (knock on wood) injury that Fabbri gets. Really hope he stays healthy because I wouldn't mind him being switched with Ras every once in a while.

Line 4: Kostin - Veleno - Fischer/Sprong

Sprong and Fischer would be rotating until injuries occur. I have Veleno in because they probably won't put Kasper in at line 4, of which I would be fine with. I think Kasper getting full time NHL minutes would be much better than playing down his skill set in AHL. Just my opinion. I would rather him switch off with Copp and have Copp at his wing on the 3rd, but discussion for a different time.

That forward group is balanced with grit and finishing ability up and down the lineup. Sprong has shown he can put the puck in with limited minutes, Kostin too. Would also help Veleno to be around more veterans on his own line I suppose?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad