Positivity Thread II - Now with more Cations

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
With Hayes signing for 7+ million a year, the Bryan Little contract is now looking like quite a bargain

Yeah, I'll take Bryan Little at $5.3 million over Hayes at $7 mil per every day of the week.

I still think Little is really underrated ... but he always has been. I've always thought he's performed well for us.

EDITED TO ADD: I also feel better about the Wheeler contract. For an extra $1.1 mil per year, you get a 90-point per season first line winger who you're committed to for 5 years, versus being on the hook seven.

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
You know it's been a difficult off-season when one has to scroll down to the bottom of page 3 to find the positivity thread. But despite the perceived lack of activity, I'm actually still upbeat about the upcoming season and I'm not just being contrarian.

To me, Chevy standing pat on "National Overpay Day" is a good thing. We didn't hand out any bad contracts that we can't afford and I actually think we'll be okay with the defencemen we have left. Morrisey will take another step as will other young players. In the past, our team has always seemed to buckle down and play more responsible team defence when the blue line has been depleted. So I think the team may play tighter team D and actually yield better results. Plus I have been of the opinion that a malcontent Trouba was a piece of the locker room issue.

As noted, I think our young players continue to develop. We don't need to acquire shiny UFA's IMO because we're improving from within with solid prospects. Surely Laine will have a better season in 19/20 and others will continue to develop. I also think Hellebuyck returns to 17/18 form. So overall I don't think it's nearly so doom-and-gloom as many seem to think.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
You know it's been a difficult off-season when one has to scroll down to the bottom of page 3 to find the positivity thread. But despite the perceived lack of activity, I'm actually still upbeat about the upcoming season and I'm not just being contrarian.

To me, Chevy standing pat on "National Overpay Day" is a good thing. We didn't hand out any bad contracts that we can't afford and I actually think we'll be okay with the defencemen we have left. Morrisey will take another step as will other young players. In the past, our team has always seemed to buckle down and play more responsible team defence when the blue line has been depleted. So I think the team may play tighter team D and actually yield better results. Plus I have been of the opinion that a malcontent Trouba was a piece of the locker room issue.

As noted, I think our young players continue to develop. We don't need to acquire shiny UFA's IMO because we're improving from within with solid prospects. Surely Laine will have a better season in 19/20 and others will continue to develop. I also think Hellebuyck returns to 17/18 form. So overall I don't think it's nearly so doom-and-gloom as many seem to think.
I am very quietly positive about upcoming season, with who, what the roster is currently, too. My other issues, rants, ramblings pertain more to hoping some change and system play and lines can occur, especially with a change in our blue-line. Coaches this positive settay is pumping you all up to helpvto form a new productive, winning edge to our roster, forming a more solid team this season. Emphasis is on bonding the Team, then growing from there and utilizing ouryouthful skill variety in progressive ways. Small task, huge outcome

Reactions: ERYX

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just thought this thread needed a bump , it's gonna be tough but i think Connor and Laine both sign before the season starts and Maurice puts Little and Wheeler together and Laine with Scheif . I'm positive this off season couldn't be longer and we have a playoff year for the 3rd season in a row . :nod:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I am in agreement with ome poster who says this is our best forward group to start a season we ever had. If sheif and wheeler are split and our fourth line plays more then 5 min a game we could be top 5 on goals easily.

The positives of having such a changeover in defense is the hope and surprises we will get watching. Heck we did lose all top 4 d and played great defense before on a run to the playoffs

Hellys performance is up to our team defense. He doesn't stop much from the slot or breakaways. And can't move latterly fast enough to stop elite passes into one timers. He is one of the most positionally sound goaltenders in the NHL though and if the shot is come from the outside and he is already in position he doesnt let to many softies in

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Are we going to have another year with Cations?
Nah, I think we should retreat back into the dank Catacombs of Anions, where Jets fans can get back to gnashing their teeth in the miasma of desultory pessimism, recrimination and pained nostalgia. That's the Winnipeg comfort zone.

upload_2019-9-1_0-32-1.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
^ That's a top shelf shellacking of Jets pessimism. :laugh:
Bonus points for the "My Winnipeg" pic.
"Jets pessimism" is just an extension of the existential angst of long-time Winnipeggers; forever "Ledge Man". I only wish we could embrace our identity on this Board with a bit more whimsy and self-irony, and less overt pessimism, cynicism, and rancor.

upload_2019-9-1_1-50-2.png

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
"Jets pessimism" is just an extension of the existential angst of long-time Winnipeggers; forever "Ledge Man". I only wish we could embrace our identity on this Board with a bit more whimsy and self-irony, and less overt pessimism, cynicism, and rancor.

View attachment 252463

Last season our board and our city imploded under the weight of the Jets team falling short of very high expectations. I am finding peace and joy in not having those same high expectations this season. We have an interesting collection of talent but the salary cap is doing its thing now and although I am hoping things go well I don’t expect anything one way or the other. This is the most relaxed I have been going into a season in the 2.0 era.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Last season our board and our city imploded under the weight of the Jets team falling short of very high expectations. I am finding peace and joy in not having those same high expectations this season. We have an interesting collection of talent but the salary cap is doing its thing now and although I am hoping things go well I don’t expect anything one way or the other. This is the most relaxed I have been going into a season in the 2.0 era.
Now we're talking... low expectations and a bittersweet longing that befits Winnipeg's zeitgeist.

Oh, and on the hockey front, I concur. I'm ready for a "fallow season" where we see how our young talent on the Jets and in the pipeline develops, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised if we see something special from a flawed and eclectic roster that still has some serious talent and some extra motivation.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Now we're talking... low expectations and a bittersweet longing that befits Winnipeg's zeitgeist.

Oh, and on the hockey front, I concur. I'm ready for a "fallow season" where we see how our young talent on the Jets and in the pipeline develops, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised if we see something special from a flawed and eclectic roster that still has some serious talent and some extra motivation.
I can finally understand most of the words your using so you get a like . :laugh:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't know how many people heard on 1290 a couple of weeks ago but i'll put it on here , the positive thread . Bruce Boudreau , the coach of the wild said we have the best top 6 in the NHL . I think we will be just fine this season especially if Helly and Brossoit give us solid goaltending .Go Jets Go !!!!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't know how many people heard on 1290 a couple of weeks ago but i'll put it on here , the positive thread . Bruce Boudreau , the coach of the wild said we have the best top 6 in the NHL . I think we will be just fine this season especially if Helly and Brossoit give us solid goaltending .Go Jets Go !!!!
I saw another reference to those comments by Boudreau. With Lowry, Copp, Perreault and Roslovic, the Jets' bottom 6 is also outstanding. If Laine bounces back and Roslovic progresses, they could have the best forwards in the NHL, though the Leafs and Bolts are pretty great up front...

Reactions: Jets 31 and ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am looking forward to the day when we fill out our D core with young affordable talent and we are possibly looked at as a favorite to win the cup again. Maybe on our second go around our city can act like grown ups if we fall short and not like a junior high school drama club.

This season will be an interesting test for the roster and coaching staff. I am not sure how the fan base will react if it doesn’t come together but I know personally I am braced for any result from the team and any reaction from the fan base. Living through last winter and spring in Winnipeg was a learning experience for me and most of my beast lessons in life come from mistakes and defeat. I got caught off guard and that won’t happen a second time. I am going to enjoy this upcoming season for exactly what it is. There are going to ups and downs on the path of having an NHL team back in the city, it’s all part of the ride I am happy to be on again.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Roslovic takes a big leap as a legit scoring forward
Laine and Ehlers rebound
One of Niku or Pionk play like legit top 4 D
TEAM recommits to a 200 foot game with good goaltending and fast breakouts...

My reasons for optimism for a Stanley Cup contending team in 2019/2020!

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I saw another reference to those comments by Boudreau. With Lowry, Copp, Perreault and Roslovic, the Jets' bottom 6 is also outstanding. If Laine bounces back and Roslovic progresses, they could have the best forwards in the NHL, though the Leafs and Bolts are pretty great up front...

You add in that with potentially a back end that can move the puck much more effectively and we won’t have to be “good” at playing defense because our transition game could be outstanding.

Reactions: ocdaddy and Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just watched 31 teams in 31 days on the NHL network and Mike Johnson thinks the Jets make the playoffs and sign Laine and Connor . :banana:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
This thread needs a little more love. Some young guys getting a real good look in pre-season and training camp. Hope we get some pleasant surprises when the roster is all set.

And it’s heading for 30C today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad