Positivity Thread II - Now with more Cations

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
What If....I time traveled back in time to 2012 and told you that the Jets would make the playoffs 2 years in a row and be battling for first in the Central both years, what would you think? This is amazing or that the team sucks?

If you traveled to 2019 from back then, and entered a GDT with no prior knowledge of the Jets current record, you would most likely think the Jets were still a lottery team.

Part of the problem is expectations became so sky high this year (partially fueled by that Hockey News issue), any amount of adversity is going to seem like a disaster to many fans. Same with any scoring slumps, bad stretches of play in a game etc. Only perfection is acceptable, even though it's impossible!

Maybe it's also just a sign of how society has turned into one that demands instant gratification and is losing its ability to see the overall picture. There are now so many games to consume on TV, over-analysis has become the norm and less people are able to actually just enjoy the sport for what it is and instead split hairs over EVERYTHING. More information does not actually make us smart, critical thinkers. It usually triggers irrationality because our brains were not made to absorb the glut of information they are now exposed to.

My deep thoughts for they day.

I, for one, am happy to be at the dance 2 years in a row.

Edit - deleting - wrong thread for this post.

Last edited:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The problem is not that we are battling for first, and making the playoffs. The problem is the way the team has played since mid December and is crapping the bed with quite frankly **** play going into the playoffs.

Are there not multiple other threads you can share your pessimistic thoughts in (and usually do)? Merely pointing out that a few years ago we would have been ecstatic if we were just a perpetual wildcard team, and I'm pleased they have made the playoffs 2 years in a row while battling for top spot in the division.

People post in this thread because they actually want a break from the constant doom and gloom. I'm well aware the Jets have been a .500 team since the calendar turned. I get it, they are a 1st place team but suck ass and they may as well cede the first round of the playoffs. Thanks for clarifying.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
giphy.gif

GANDALF THE WHITE WAS A JETS WHITEOUT FAN!? I KNEW IT!! :laugh:

Also, we need a Gandalf the White at the Whiteout Party. How epic would that be?! :D

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Are there not multiple other threads you can share your pessimistic thoughts in (and usually do)? Merely pointing out that a few years ago we would have been ecstatic if we were just a perpetual wildcard team, and I'm pleased they have made the playoffs 2 years in a row while battling for top spot in the division.

People post in this thread because they actually want a break from the constant doom and gloom. I'm well aware the Jets have been a .500 team since the calendar turned. I get it, they are a 1st place team but suck ass and they may as well cede the first round of the playoffs. Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, my bad. I shouldn't have posted this in this thread. I will delete.

I am not actually pessimistic. I am realistic. I have posted many positive things in this thread. I have posted concerns in other threads. On this post in this thread, I f'd up.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
What If....I time traveled back in time to 2012 and told you that the Jets would make the playoffs 2 years in a row and be battling for first in the Central both years, what would you think? This is amazing or that the team sucks?

If I had a hockey-only time machine, I'd go back to the summer of 2006, find a few Oilers fans still crushed from their Game 7 loss in the Cup finals, and let them know that the decade-without-a-franchise city of Winnipeg would get back to the playoffs sooner than they would. :D

Reactions: Robinson2187

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I see the GDT is already getting ugly , can we do our own thread in here ? Would be alot nicer and way more positive . :laugh:

Reactions: ERYX

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I am not actually pessimistic. I am realistic. I have posted many positive things in this thread. I have posted concerns in other threads. On this post in this thread, I f'd up.

No harm done, I shouldn't have labelled you as being always pessimistic when you are indeed more of a realist. I also share your concerns about the team going into the playoffs. But in this thread, we enjoy having our heads stuck in the sand or sitting with our mugs of coffee in a flaming kitchen thinking "this is fine".

Personally, I think the Jets have gotten lax the last couple of weeks due to clinching a playoff spot early combined with playing several games in a row against desperate teams trying to clinch a spot or trying to stave off elimination.

Another opinion that I have, it's not that the Central division now completely sucks, but the parity in the division is now much greater than in any of the other divisions which is why there is that much less of a point spread between 1st and 7th (specifically through 1st and 3rd).

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I see the GDT is already getting ugly , can we do our own thread in here ? Would be alot nicer and way more positive . :laugh:

I've barely poked my head in there. I'm enjoying the GDT and PGT less and less now. Even when we are winning a game, it just isn't as much fun as it used to be.

Reactions: Jets 31

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If I had a hockey-only time machine, I'd go back to the summer of 2006, find a few Oilers fans still crushed from their Game 7 loss in the Cup finals, and let them know that the decade-without-a-franchise city of Winnipeg would get back to the playoffs sooner than they would. :D

I wish I could go back in time and take some screen shots of an Anti-Leafs Facebook page that existed circa 2008 called "I believe the Winnipeg Jets will win a Stanley Cup before the Toronto Maple Leafs", it was hilarious and now the far-fetched notion and sarcasm is the possible reality.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
No harm done, I shouldn't have labelled you as being always pessimistic when you are indeed more of a realist. I also share your concerns about the team going into the playoffs. But in this thread, we enjoy having our heads stuck in the sand or sitting with our mugs of coffee in a flaming kitchen thinking "this is fine".

Personally, I think the Jets have gotten lax the last couple of weeks due to clinching a playoff spot early combined with playing several games in a row against desperate teams trying to clinch a spot or trying to stave off elimination.

Another opinion that I have, it's not that the Central division now completely sucks, but the parity in the division is now much greater than in any of the other divisions which is why there is that much less of a point spread between 1st and 7th (specifically through 1st and 3rd).

Re bolded - I hadn't thought of that. Interesting thought.

On the positive end, we still control our own destiny. Two wins and we have home ice advantage for the first two rounds.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Nothing official would be tolerated, of course, but I can't see any reason why people couldn't make posts in this thread while the game was on -- just as they could any other time of the day -- and if they happened to be about something positive going on in the game, pretty sure they'd be considered thread-appropriate. You know, that blinded optimism like "yay, we're winning 1-0" and such :P

Reactions: ERYX and Jets 31

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Re bolded - I hadn't thought of that. Interesting thought.

On the positive end, we still control our own destiny. Two wins and we have home ice advantage for the first two rounds.

Yeh don’t have the luxury of a bottom feeder this year. Every other division has at least one. Look at how bad the Pacific really is. LA and Anaheim are just straight awful.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Nothing official would be tolerated, of course, but I can't see any reason why people couldn't make posts in this thread while the game was on -- just as they could any other time of the day -- and if they happened to be about something positive going on in the game, pretty sure they'd be considered thread-appropriate. You know, that blinded optimism like "yay, we're winning 1-0" and such :P

2xrptj.jpg

You're a genius!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Great post!

Everyone F’s up but it’s cool when people own it and move on!!

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

I'm cool with that. I started the first "positivity thread" as an alternate GDT because things were so unbearable in the "regular" GDTs throughout the fall of 2017. Even though some of the negative posters seem unable to restrain themselves from spewing their negativity everywhere, even in here, I think we should try to make it a place where people can have a safe haven and just be a little upbeat and not enraged/dumping all over the team.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm cool with that. I started the first "positivity thread" as an alternate GDT because things were so unbearable in the "regular" GDTs throughout the fall of 2017. Even though some of the negative posters seem unable to restrain themselves from spewing their negativity everywhere, even in here, I think we should try to make it a place where people can have a safe haven and just be a little upbeat and not enraged/dumping all over the team.
I used to think we would never ever be close to as bad as the Leafs board .:laugh:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I have a hunch that Copp is gonna be magic for Laine. It’ll be like those cop-buddy odd-couple movies. go jets go!

PS Nash down 2-0 to Vancouver, also good sign ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad