Positivity Thread II - Now with more Cations

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Posted this in the Pregame thread just before it closed down and since it fits better here I thought I'd post again.

The history of professional sports is filled with teams that played below expectations during the regular season and then caught fire in the playoffs, and due to the nature of hockey it seems to happen in the NHL more than any other league. Over the last decade, and not counting the lockout season, the Stanley cup winner has had the following regular season point totals:

Average 103.4 points. Sports Club has our most likely final points total at 103 points :nod:

Coincidence? I think not ;)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Posted this in the Pregame thread just before it closed down and since it fits better here I thought I'd post again.

The history of professional sports is filled with teams that played below expectations during the regular season and then caught fire in the playoffs, and due to the nature of hockey it seems to happen in the NHL more than any other league. Over the last decade, and not counting the lockout season, the Stanley cup winner has had the following regular season point totals:

Average 103.4 points. Sports Club has our most likely final points total at 103 points :nod:

Coincidence? I think not ;)
No way those smarty pants at the Hockey News could be wrong , i'm not even worried . :nod:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So I'm guessing this is the one place on this board where even a hint of optimism is allowed. I was at the game last and was not a happy camper on the way home, poured a glass of wine and fumed. I'm not much one for public venting so I knew to stay clear of the PGT. But today is a new day and we still have our ticket to the playoffs punched. No matter what happens over the next 5 games come playoff time the Central will come down to a 4 team tournament between the Jets, Preds, Blues and Stars. How they are seeded and who plays who is unknown but none of those teams are perfect and all are beatable and on paper at least we have the most talent.

I'm going to the game again Saturday with my son and no doubt there will be many Habs jerseys in attendance. It will feel to me like a playoff game and I'm still hopeful the team pulls it's head out of it's ass in time for a long playoff run. We are still in 1st with 5 games to go and look to have the ROW in our favour in any tie breakers. I'm not giving up yet.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm positive i have no idea which team will show up , the Cup contender that won 5-0 or the not so good team from the last 2 games . It is frustrating though i'll tell you that .

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So I'm guessing this is the one place on this board where even a hint of optimism is allowed. I was at the game last and was not a happy camper on the way home, poured a glass of wine and fumed. I'm not much one for public venting so I knew to stay clear of the PGT. But today is a new day and we still have our ticket to the playoffs punched. No matter what happens over the next 5 games come playoff time the Central will come down to a 4 team tournament between the Jets, Preds, Blues and Stars. How they are seeded and who plays who is unknown but none of those teams are perfect and all are beatable and on paper at least we have the most talent.

I'm going to the game again Saturday with my son and no doubt there will be many Habs jerseys in attendance. It will feel to me like a playoff game and I'm still hopeful the team pulls it's head out of it's ass in time for a long playoff run. We are still in 1st with 5 games to go and look to have the ROW in our favour in any tie breakers. I'm not giving up yet.

Your absence was noticed. I thought I might find you in here. As for all those Habs fans who will be there tomorrow... it's why I will never go to Habs or Leafs games. Like Bob Seger sang, you always seem outnumbered, you don't dare make a stand. :mad: Just gotta hope our team shuts them up. GJG.

I'll now return to my regularly scheduled venting. :nod:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think we owe the Habs one after they humiliated us in their house the last time we met.

WE.........ARE.......DUE

Reactions: Jets 31

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's my birthday tomorrow...

The Jets are going to win...

I am sure of it...

Or else...

giphy.gif

There...

Positivity...

Is that how it's done... ?

:popcorn:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting take in the Athletic about the Jets. I look it is mildly positive “IF THE JETS DEFENSE GET HEALTHY”:

18. Right now it’s very likely that the Stars will play the Jets in the first round, one of the most vulnerable contending teams in the league. The Jets are on pace for just 100 points this year, but the underlying numbers have been in the tank for much of the season and only getting worse. Only five teams had a worse shot share in March than Winnipeg’s 45 percent: New Jersey, Detroit, Ottawa, Philadelphia and the Rangers. Zero playoff teams.
When it comes to the Jets’ concerning play, it’s critical to note that the team has been without two top pairing calibre defenders for quite some time. Josh Morrissey has been out since Feb. 24 while Dustin Byfuglien has been out since Feb. 14 after missing most of January. Very few teams can survive a blow that large to their backend, but especially not a team with insufficient depth.

Winnipeg simply hasn’t been able to replace Morrissey and Byfuglien adequately and it shows over the last month or so. With both players in the lineup, the Jets are a decent 5-on-5 team at a 51.1 percent Corsi. Take one out and that drops to 48.2 percent. Without two, it’s 45.3 percent.
The past few months have been discouraging, but it’s important to have some perspective with what the Jets are dealing with injury wise. It speaks to the team’s depth issues on defence, but when healthy this team can still be dangerous.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The positivity thread, my good friend. Still annoyed by last night's game and especially all those Habs jersey's going home happy. I've now found myself in the position of cheering for the Cains and Blue Jackets.

But statistically at least we are now in a slightly better position than we were this time yesterday. At that point we needed to go 4-1 to guarantee 1st, now it is down to 3-1 to guarantee 1st. 2-2 gives a coin flip chance at 1st. We're not dead yet ;)

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The Blues have also entered the mix, so we need to account for what they might do. Either way 3-1 locks up 1st.

3-1 is a tall order. considering the way the Jet's are playing. More like 2-2 , or 2-1-1 ? I'd love to see them go 3-1 -- but it looks a bit shaky now. The Preds don't look much better. I think St.Louis just may be a factor. At least it will be exciting :thumbu:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

3-1 is a tall order. considering the way the Jet's are playing. More like 2-2 , or 2-1-1 ? I'd love to see them go 3-1 -- but it looks a bit shaky now. The Preds don't look much better. I think St.Louis just may be a factor. At least it will be exciting :thumbu:
I don't think it is possible to know with this team. I can see a switch being flicked and all of a sudden we see the contenders they can become. I would really like to see Mauirce do something to generate some urgency in their game. I'd vote for a Scheifele - Wheeler breakup. I think that would light the necessary fire.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think it is possible to know with this team. I can see a switch being flicked and all of a sudden we see the contenders they can become. I would really like to see Mauirce do something to generate some urgency in their game. I'd vote for a Scheifele - Wheeler breakup. I think that would light the necessary fire.

I wonder if Maurice has the guts to do this ?--and not be intimidated by his star players ? He certainly needs to do something. I don't think it's just the 1st line though -- I think the complacency attitude runs thru the "whole team" Look at that last Nashville game, as they looked like world beaters. They looked like a Tampa team on that night. I question whether or not Maurice can motivate them consistently ?? The talent is there, so it's very puzzling indeed.

Nothing wrong with your suggestion--something to "skake up" the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad