News: Portzline: Jack Johnson has requested a trade

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It does for the Leafs, Not so much for the Bluejackets though.

I'm just curious, why is that?

Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun 2h2 hours ago
More
Pierre LeBrun Retweeted Aaron Portzline
If the Jackets do trade Johnson, and that's no sure thing, have to think a deal for a rental F is the way to go for them. A pick does them little good in a year where they're trying to win.

24 page thread in Columbus sub-forum --->
Realistic trade options to fix our glaring weakness at the center position

So, Columbus fans think that their biggest needs is a C, insiders think a rental F is the way to go, and somehow, a rental C isn't the answer?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm just curious, why is that?

Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun 2h2 hours ago
More
Pierre LeBrun Retweeted Aaron Portzline
If the Jackets do trade Johnson, and that's no sure thing, have to think a deal for a rental F is the way to go for them. A pick does them little good in a year where they're trying to win.

24 page thread in Columbus sub-forum --->
Realistic trade options to fix our glaring weakness at the center position

So, Columbus fans think that their biggest needs is a C, insiders think a rental F is the way to go, and somehow, a rental C isn't the answer?
Multiple CBJ fans have been suggesting this trade all year long. Id be good with it

Reactions: Viqsi

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
When i saw this thread i immediately thought back to last night's game and Panarin losing his shit waiving and slamming his stick at JJ for not making a pass to him.

I think trading him is a good move. He's probably going to try and get as much $$ as possible in FA given his history, and that doesn't fit well with the Jackets plans.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Yeah unless Ceci and Phaneuf are out the door as well don't see any more playing time in Ottawa then in Columbus.

Ottawa would run:

Johnson Karlsson
Phaneuf Chabot
Oduya Claesson

Chabot is preferred on the right by Boucher.

If Ottawa can find some way to off-load Phaneuf, this gets Johnson a better chance at a bigger contract in FA while helping the Sens our with salary for the future.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think it was asked earlier, but i didn't see the answer....can Johnson play the right side?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
NJ desperately needs an upgrade at LHD, but his age and contract status don't really jive with what Shero is looking for, and Columbus will be very unlikely to trade him to a division rival.

backofthenet

Jul 31, 2006
From the article (summary, no quotes).

Has asked for a trade - apparently a few weeks ago. Reasoning? Due to a diminishing role with the team and a need/want to better position himself for FA. Hard to blame him when he's only getting 13:30 a game (like vs BUF the other day).

Shouldn't really be a surprise. Due to his financial issues, he's basically starting from scratch as a 30 yr old, and whatever contract he gets this summer will likely A) be his last big one and B) one where he will be forced to go to the highest bidder.

WOW...all very reasonable. And agree...can not blame him

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
So odd. He's a player that was hyped to the moon, but never delivered. Not a bust by any means, he's had a solid career, but he's certainly not a star to have leverage and demand a trade.

But Jackets obviously should move him at this point and get the best possible return.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I guess losing to the Canucks was the final straw

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Ottawa would run:

Johnson Karlsson
Phaneuf Chabot
Oduya Claesson

Chabot is preferred on the right by Boucher.

If Ottawa can find some way to off-load Phaneuf, this gets Johnson a better chance at a bigger contract in FA while helping the Sens our with salary for the future.
If you've Johnson on you top pairing then you're worse off then i thought, No way is Johnson a top pairing D man he's hardly a 2nd pairing D man any more but whatever.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It must be so depressing to make 5 million a year and still have to worry about finances after your current contract ends. :(

Yes, but even still he gets to keep something like 265k a year. That's not pocket change. You do feel bad for him but he's hardly suffering.

What that boy needs is some endorsements.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If I were the BJ's, I would try to trade him for a forward who might be able to give them some offensive help. With their injuries, the BJ's are struggling to score goals and especially on their PP. The team is struggling right now, but it's even more bad that you have a disgruntled player creating a negative distraction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad