News: Portzline: Jack Johnson has requested a trade

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Not that I know of. 1st time here and he was traded here in a trade that he didn't ask for. Pre LA I don't know.
He didn't ask for a trade out of Carolina. The story holds that Carolina demanded he go pro, and he wanted to return to Michigan for another season, so they traded him to LA.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Johnson's financial situation is well documented. If anyone wants to understand the specifics about what happened between him and his parents you can give it a quick google search. But all people need to know is that he has filed for bankruptcy, and most of his income is now debt re-payment.

With this in mind, it seems pretty clear that this is financially motivated. That's not a slight against him, by the way. In fact, it's entirely understandable. Jack needs to make as much as possible on his next contract. And, as an upcoming UFA, he can already negotiate with the Jackets.

Knowing that (1) he needs money, and (2) he is free to negotiate with his current team, and (3) he has asked for a trade, it's safe to assume the negotiations are not going how he would like. He's probably not going to get paid what he wants on that team. If CBJ are not going to pay him a substantial amount on the next contract, and he needs the income, then he has no choice but to search for it elsewhere. I'm betting he would like to sign a contract before hitting UFA, as that is more security for him.

He wants to go somewhere that might pay him more. Hope he finds what he is looking for.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Good for Jack., hopefully we can get something worthwhile.

He's all but been surpassed on the depth chart to the 3rd pairing.

Jones and Werenski take all the top 5v5 and PP time

Murray and Nuttivara starting to take over the 2nd pairing as they play really well together (Nuttivara on his off side) before Murray's injury.

That leaves Johnson, Savard, Harrington and Carlsson for the last pairing and not many minutes.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Columbus should do him a favor and trade him to a team that has a need to play him in the top 4 so he can maximize his next contract and finally be comfortable financially.

His parents oughta burn in hell.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
Pittsburgh, given the long standing relationship to Sidney Crosby compounded by the uncertainty over Kris Letang's health would be a decent fit. The return could revolve around Conor Sheary?

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Pittsburgh, given the long standing relationship to Sidney Crosby compounded by the uncertainty over Kris Letang's health would be a decent fit. The return could revolve around Conor Sheary?

I mean it makes sense. But no way do they trade JJ to Pittsburgh and risk having him be a factor in why the Pens bounce the Jackets from the playoffs...again.

Johnson plays his best hockey in the playoffs. He definitely has that "extra gear."

I'll be sad to see him go, but I wish him nothing but the best. I remember going to the game after we traded for him back in 2012 and the Jackets were getting blown out 5-0. He had just arrived in Columbus that day, and the team introduces him in a break in play and he received a standing O before ever playing a shift with the Jackets. He was the only bright spot in those very dark days. Last place in the league (by far), our recent acquisition Carter was a bust and floated his way out of town, Nash wanted out and here was JJ saying how excited he was to be here, and he was believable. The team was at rock bottom, and he was the first piece to help rebuild and change the culture in the room. I'll forever be thankful to him for that.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
How hockey works according to JJ:

-Be a -108 player for his career
-See his TOI decline
-Whine and ask for a trade
-Another franchise will think "oh yeah, let's give up something significant"
-Give him 25 min/game because he said so, ask questions later

Reactions: Flair Hay

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That would be amusing, but I admit to not wanting to be up against JJ in the playoffs.

* * *​
Can any Columbus fans give a run down on JJ and what level he can/is playing at now?
The level he can play at is highly variable. By and large, he's a second-pairing defensive defenseman. Yes, I said defensive defenseman - he's got an OK shot, but he's not very good at picking how/when to use it, so he's kind of an occasional secret shootout weapon and little more. He can pass, but he's not exactly exceptional in that regard. He's still one of the most athletically dedicated folks in the League, and it shows in his endurance; he could probably play thirty minutes a game every game and not be too terribly winded. What limits him is his hockey IQ; he'll make poor decisions with the puck, and the more time you give him, the uglier those issues get.

...except for occasional moments in the playoffs, wherein for inexplicable reasons he suddenly turns into Mr. Epic Badass Superman.

He's pretty good without the puck, though - even if he goofs on a call there, he's athletic enough to make up for it almost immediately, and generally does so readily. Thus, he's best relied on as a defensive guy. His raw shot attempt statistics are going to keep looking ugly as sin until shot quality is really nailed down statistically. He can get down mentally, and that badly affects his play - that's what's been going on most of this year; while he's been making a good-faith professional effort not to let reduced responsibilities get to him, it's increasingly clear that it's doing so.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If you remember that team was a dumpster fire. Carter played as well as anyone could on that team. Nash certainly wasn't doing much. Carter never said he wanted out.

Carter never said he wanted out of philly
He had just got a 8yr deal and then was almost immediately traded to Columbus. He pouted and refused to give it his all(and was still by far the best player on the team) and then requested a trade out of Columbus because he didn't like it here.

Does he still do the head fakes?
As a Kings fan that's what I miss most about him, though it rarely worked lol.
Not a head fake, but the same exact move.

Jack shoots around 8:20

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bozak for Johnson. Both on expiring contracts.

The problem with that is that it does not appear that the Leafs want to play Nylander at center this season or by the sounds of it next seasonand making that trade forces them to do that, so I on't see that being the basis for a deal, although it is pretty close to fair

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
The problem with that is that it does not appear that the Leafs want to play Nylander at center this season or by the sounds of it next seasonand making that trade forces them to do that, so I on't see that being the basis for a deal, although it is pretty close to fair

I guess you have to weigh, upgrading your D with Johnson vs not ideally having Nylander play C yet. I think we are better off upgrading the D and shifting Nylander to C, than staying status quo on D and keeping Bozak.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Has his relationship with Kessel improved at all?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad