News: Portzline: Jack Johnson has requested a trade

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Not fan of him but if he really wants out, I can see Hawks taking a shot at him.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Columbus doesn’t to have to do anything for him accept give him a paycheque. Just like he owes them nothing but his service. He’s looking out for himself and wants to be traded. Columbus should trade him to wherever they get the best value for him.
The thing here is, from a financial standpoint, what happens this year is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Johnson's salary has been set a long time ago, which he will receive this year regardless of the team he plays for. What matters, however, is his next contract, which he has to maximise at all costs. The Blue Jackets of today do not offer him a great situation to do that, for he has been buried behind other LHDs. In regards to that, almost every other team would be an improvement for JJ. He needs to play more and in more favourable situations, plain and simple.

You are right in that yes, Columbus should have their own interests in mind, but realistically, that is not going to be too big a hassle for Johnson. When almost every other situation is better than status quo, asking for a trade is the right move. Moreover, Columbus knows the situation too, and there is benefit for them to comply with Johnson's wishes (within reason), as that helps building a better reputation. Realistically, there should be a middle ground to be found that benefits both parties.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wondering if Tampa would take a shot at him for a rental for the play offs? I'm not too sure on Tampas prospects or what contract they would get rid of to get him or what it would cost?
Please be gentle

Maybe Ben Thomas/Matthew Spencer + Sustr(cap) + 2nd?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is way bigger than hockey for Johnson. He has made tens of millions and has nothing to show for it. If I was him I would also be doing whatever I thought was best to secure a living/retirement at this point. The guy should be a millionaire and never have to worry about working after his hockey career. Not many people reach that point and it would be unacceptable to lose all that. Winning a Stanley cup or whatever else is not nearly as important as securing your future considering time is running out.

Nobody should judge this guys decision. Columbus should send him wherever he feels his best opportunity is and accept whatever they can salvage. It is not a back breaking move for the Blue Jackets anyway.

Exactly. Johnson is someone who's almost certainly going to go to whomever offers him the most money this summer. In a way I feel sad for him, because he's a player that I'm sure a lot of contending teams would like to have - as long as his contract is priced appropriately. I mean I'd love to have him in Pittsburgh due to his skillset. But financially, he can't cut anyone a break... which means he's going to a team that can offer him the most money he can get his hands on - and I don't blame him for one second. I just feel bad that unlike most 30 yr old FAs who've had solid careers with decent earnings, that he's not able to forgo the financial aspect a little to sign with a contending team. Maybe he still will... but I'm not holding my breath. Too many teams need top 4D and this will be his only chance to cash in. Due to taxes and needs... I'm going to guess he ends up in LV or Dallas.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
The thing here is, from a financial standpoint, what happens this year is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Johnson's salary has been set a long time ago, which he will receive this year regardless of the team he plays for. What matters, however, is his next contract, which he has to maximise at all costs. The Blue Jackets of today do not offer him a great situation to do that, for he has been buried behind other LHDs. In regards to that, almost every other team would be an improvement for JJ. He needs to play more and in more favourable situations, plain and simple.

You are right in that yes, Columbus should have their own interests in mind, but realistically, that is not going to be too big a hassle for Johnson. When almost every other situation is better than status quo, asking for a trade is the right move. Moreover, Columbus knows the situation too, and there is benefit for them to comply with Johnson's wishes (within reason), as that helps building a better reputation. Realistically, there should be a middle ground to be found that benefits both parties.
i understand what you’re saying but what about Columbus though. Please correct me someone if I’m wrong but what if Columbus needed him on the team and play in the position they have him in instead of shipping him off. They have games to win and most likely need him there. You don’t always get what you want regardless if you need the money. It’s not Columbus’s fault he is in a bad situation.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wouldnt mind taking a swing at him as a all in kinda move from anaheim... if i remember correctly hes comfortable playing on right side?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's a top D? Tnis isn't a knock on him...just asking? Is he replacing Rielly? Gardiner? I mean ya, we need D...but RHD.

I meant top 4 D, that was a typo that being said as it stands the top 4 currently features one of Carrick or Polak on a given night, that is an issue and one that makes me not care if JJ is a RHD or LHD, besides guys play their off side all the time, if am not mistaken that includes Rielly

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I get the request, and the reasoning, but why would a bottom feeder trade for a pending UFA? No contender will offer more minutes than CBJ, no playoff team will play him 22 min a night.

Reactions: Sam Spade

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I meant top 4 D, that was a typo that being said as it stands the top 4 currently features one of Carrick or Polak on a given night, that is an issue and one that makes me not care if JJ is a RHD or LHD, besides guys play their off side all the time, if am not mistaken that includes Rielly

Guys don't play their off side all the time under Babcock. The only one who does on our team is Hainsey. I'd be interested in JJ too, but unless he specifically can play the right side the fit might not be there.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
i understand what you’re saying but what about Columbus though. Please correct me someone if I’m wrong but what if Columbus needed him on the team and play in the position they have him in instead of shipping him off. They have games to win and most likely need him there. You don’t always get what you want regardless if you need the money. It’s not Columbus’s fault he is in a bad situation.

If they're playing him less than 14 minutes a game, they don't need him that badly. To the point that they could move him, get a D+ in return and be no worse off. There's LOTS of D who can play 13:40 a night. The only reason to want JJ is to play him 23 minutes a night as a big PMD (which is what he averaged in the 4 seasons prior to this one).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Rielly is a lefty playing his normal side; Hainsey is the only one playing his off side because he's done it for a long time. And we can't forget that the only reason why Polak/Carrick are in the top 4 right now is due to Zaitsev's injury.

SomethingHockey

Nov 7, 2016
I get the request, and the reasoning, but why would a bottom feeder trade for a pending UFA? No contender will offer more minutes than CBJ, no playoff team will play him 22 min a night.

Good question and a couple thoughts...
-If you’re a bottom feeder, you may see an opportunity to acquire someone at a relatively low price then play them a bunch of minutes to see how they gel with the team prior to offering a contract extension (ala Flyers with MacDonald)
-If you’re a team who may have trouble signing free agents, you may look at Johnson and say “I think this guy is a top 4 on our team. We don’t think we can convince any other potential top 4 dmen to our team via free agency. We know his financial situation, and we’re in a position to overpay him. Let’s do it.”

14 minutes a night in Columbus doesn’t scream high trade value, so someone may be willing to make a move. We’ll se how this plays out, but all the best to Johnson who was taken to the cleaners by his parents. Awful.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
why does he want out?

there is a growing trend with him
I'd like to know more about this growing trend... He wanted to remain at Michigan where Carolina wanted him to come out early, they moved him. He played in LA for the first 6 years of his career (traded during the 6th season) and was traded for Jeff Carter, not at his request. He embraced Columbus when they were downright miserable and in disarray. This is the first time he's requested a trade. Here's the guideline:

1) He's a likely #4 (2nd pair) guy that can play big minutes
2) He isn't going to wow you in any area but plays well on the PK and can chip in offense
3) He gets zero PP time so the points aren't going to be there in Columbus
4) Until this year he was drawing tough assignments
5) He's not having a good year and has been passed on the depth chart to push him into a 3rd pair role
6) He isn't going to be renewed
7) He absolutely kills it in the playoffs (21 pts in 23 games and just watch the film - he's a beast)
8) His ice time has dwindled to 19:30 per night with a recent low of 13:43 in Buffalo the other night - his role is diminishing.

Ultimately, he's not had a good year, he's on an expiring contract, there are young players that have either passed him (Nutivaara, Murray) or will be passing him (Carlsson, Gavrikov) and he's playing a diminishing role. He's not likely to be re-signed and while Columbus would love to have in the playoffs (not guarantee under the current effort - ugh) they don't want to lose him for nothing.

There is value here and he's a great team guy but his value is likely higher elsewhere than in Columbus and he wants to show he has more to offer than his current position on the CBJ depth chart. He needs out to gain maximum value on his likely last multi year contract.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I personally think Columbus D can do quite well without him. Once Murray returns we're move likely to see JJ on his way out. Even though Murray has a hard time staying healthy. Just seems like that's a big domino needing to fall... CBJ is a much better team wtih Murray than JJ as well.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Being a playoff team doesn't necessarily mean you don't need a top 4 LD. Every team has a hole or two. I haven't looked through each playoff hopeful team but I'm sure there are at least a couple that could use him. Especially at a low price.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If they're playing him less than 14 minutes a game, they don't need him that badly. To the point that they could move him, get a D+ in return and be no worse off. There's LOTS of D who can play 13:40 a night. The only reason to want JJ is to play him 23 minutes a night as a big PMD (which is what he averaged in the 4 seasons prior to this one).
For the record, that was one night below 14 minutes. He hasn't been good but he's still a solid 20min a night guy. Just isn't playing well in Columbus for whatever reason this year. Maybe because a contract year and he's not comfortable? Slide on depth chart and see's he doesn't have a future in Columbus? He's not a 14 min a night guy. That's all I wanted to point out.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
One final thought, I think Columbus would be very happy to get picks or a 3rd pair (younger) RHD with potential. To me, our hole is RHD after Seth Jones. I'd move Savard as well - most of my CBJ friends would not. I'm not a fan and his only value right now appears to be a RH shot that can block shots.

Reactions: mikeyp24

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
His parents are garbage human beings

This is the one true statement on here . The rest is speculation other then his trade request . What kind of parents rob their kid blind . I just settle a car accident claim for 270,000.00 and gave it all to my daughter as it will go to her when i am gone anyways . Lets her be mortgage free now to enjoy her life more

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Think he wants to pay off his bankruptcy.

Would like the Jets to grab him, but I see him getting traded to either a bad team or a contender as Columbus is looking to do the same as well. Although, when Johnson left they always win. Carolina, Los Angeles... maybe Columbus. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad