News: Portzline: Jack Johnson has requested a trade

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
OK, I guess. Players requesting a trade are prepared to go to any team other than the team they are on. I mean, he could end up in Arizona or Buffalo. What is he cashing in on? He is a UFA in 4 months.

edit: I'm not arguing just trying to understand.

That's what he's trying to cash in on. Another poster summed up the article well. He's not playing well, he's playing less, so he wants to move on so he can play more and better so he can get a big contract in UFA.

I doubt the CBJ trade him unless they fall completely out of playoff contention (Very possible), or if they don't fall out they must bring in a top 4 defenseman to replace him. It makes no sense to deal him otherwise. If he's eager to move on, he can just do it in July. But the article itself said he's not unhappy in Columbus, that if he had multiple years remaining on his deal he wouldn't make the request, but his financial situation calls for him to get the most money possible. That's not going to happen in Columbus at this rate.

The article also mentioned CBJ and JJ were close to signing an extension this summer when it seemed Murray was going to Colorado for Duchene. If JJ starts playing more, and better, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually signed an extension.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
A player who filed for bankruptcy 2 years ago is not gonna care about playing for a contender when he can get more money elsewhere.

Reactions: Gains

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Why? He's is an upcoming UFA playing 20 minutes a night on a cup contender. Why would he want to be traded now?

The guy got bad financial advice earlier in his career (the specifics are well documented), went bankrupt (or nearly), and he is trying to position himself best as possible for a long-term deal to set himself up to fix up his life.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nelson + Hickey/Seisenberg(UFAs) + 1st(worst of Islanders 2) For Johnson + Jenner

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Because he's unhappy at the (perceived) way the team's treating him during these negotiations?

Don't know if that's the right answer, but it's the easy one.

They were (per the article) very close to signing an extension this summer as the team was apparently going to trade Murray. The latter didn't happen, and thus no extension was signed. The article also says that if he had an extra yr on his deal, that this request wouldn't have happened.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Tortorella, John?

His teams have a best before date before his act wears thin.
Aaaaaaaaand wrong. Nothing to do with Torts. Torts and him have always got along. He took the A off Dubi and gave it to JJ and always used him as the example of how to act in the off-season and locker room and being a pro.

JJ had personal money problems a few years back and it's his last chance to make money. Played amazing year but something's been up this year. He's been put on the bottom pair and he knows playing bad and 3rd pair won't help him cash in next year which is his last chance to cash in after his parents f***ed him out of millions.

Not everything is a personal grudge against Torts...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Tortorella, John?

His teams have a best before date before his act wears thin.

I disagree, and especially since seeing him join the Jackets.

Torts is a different coach with CBJ, much more calm and controlled and doesn't let his emotions get the better of him like he used to.

I dont think it's Torts at all. But I could see it having to do with contract negotiations supposedly not going well and maybe Johnson(With his Bankruptcy issues from the past) wanting to go somewhere else where he can get that next contract secured quickly.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Yeah he has played the right quite a bit this year because we only have 2 RHD and once they split him off Savard he picked up the RHD duty.
Would Bieksa + 3rd be of interest? Bieksa is a UFA and a worse player, 3rd round pick evening out the difference.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I can understand wanting more playing time to get a better contract as a UFA. As others stated, his financial situation is well documented.

Wish him nothing but the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad