Speculation: POLL: Would you match the offer sheet on KK ?

Would you match the offer sheet ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
When you think about it, what was KK's market value before signing the offer sheet?

Certainly not a top 3 pick. If we go back to the draft, I don't think we'd get a top 10 pick either. A likely low 1st and a 3rd isn't great, but it's probably not far off his actual value.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Why would the habs not match the offer?? Ok he’s not worth the AAV. But it’s a one year deal. The canes hardly screwed the habs. If it was long term deal like for 7 years sure, but a one year deal!
It will be matched

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Why would the habs not match the offer?? Ok he’s not worth the AAV. But it’s a one year deal. The canes hardly screwed the habs. If it was long term deal like for 7 years sure, but a one year deal!
It will be matched
Every RFA year his qualifying offer starts at 6.1..... or he's a ufa and we lose him for nothing. So it may as well be a multi year deal.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Wouldn't be surprised if Bergevin doesn't match. He is likely done with KK after KK signed this and not matching this kind of screws over Carolina. Another 1st from a team that will do worse than last year when the draft is in Montreal.
Not with Timmins leading the charge to the podium. His track record with F's is awful.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
You definitely can't do that. The contract is signed, it's just a matter of which team.

I see I’m probably wrong. I thought that say Montreal trades him to Chicago, then Chicago would have the option of matching or taking the draft pick compensation.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Nope. I say let them deal with having to massively overpay him.

Take the picks and move on.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
It will be matched
It’s because you have to qualify him at 6.1M after next season. That’s the real problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: stanley25

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Every RFA year his qualifying offer starts at 6.1..... or he's a ufa and we lose him for nothing. So it may as well be a multi year deal.

Exactly, and if you keep him and plan on trading him a year from now, you better hope he performs this season, or else his RFA rights aren't worth anything with a QO over 6 M$.

So unless Bergevin feels confident he'll be able to get him on a long term deal at a reasonable AAV next year, a late 1st and a 3rd round pick might be the best value you can get for KK.

And if you're KK, there's not much of an incentive to give the Habs a bargain on a long term deal next season. He's the one that'll have all the leverage.

Reactions: Saxon

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
What do you think MB should do ?

6.1M$/1 year
1st + 3rd compensation.
Take the pick.

KK has no future in MTL at this point unfortunately. Not even flashes of elite talent to justify $6 million - very low-end 2C is his ceiling.. And Bergevin should have seen it coming - he drafted for position in the one year where C was weak. In a normal draft, KK is the 3rd or 4th C taken. Mid-first.

Reactions: sbhatt

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Take the pick.

KK has no future in MTL at this point unfortunately. Not even flashes of elite talent to justify $6 million - very low-end 2C is his ceiling.. And Bergevin should have seen it coming - he drafted for position in the one year where C was weak. In a normal draft, KK is the 3rd or 4th C taken. Mid-first.

I would add that agreeing on adding this 20$ nonsense to his contract is a huge middle finger to the organisation.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
When you think about it, what was KK's market value before signing the offer sheet?

Certainly not a top 3 pick. If we go back to the draft, I don't think we'd get a top 10 pick either. A likely low 1st and a 3rd isn't great, but it's probably not far off his actual value.
I think it was roughly a low 1st and a 2nd. If he has a mediocre season his value is likely a 2nd.

mbz

Jun 10, 2008
Moncton, NB
Love KK, but I think I let him walk here.. I think the canes regress this year, their goaltending is a big question mark, and they are in a way better division now. Let the 6.1M be their problem...

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yes. But for reasons.

Match it, trade KK as part of an Eichel offer.

Buffalo isn't touching KK at 6m lol
Montreal can still trade him I believe. I would see if anyone would offer more than a 1st and 3rd. If no takers I would offer KK term (maybe something like $4.5 Million over four years). I would not sign that offer sheet. Carolina can pay $6 million for KK and we will take the picks (maybe flip the picks for a second line center).
Nope, can't trade him. You either match it or you don't.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Good for KK sticking up for himself. Treated like shit in the playoffs so forcing Montreal’s hand looks good on the organization. If they match they are forced to give him an opportunity to earn it. If they don’t he gets a fresh start with a coach who can develop talented kids.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Bergevin got dunked on hard. His job is to make the Habs better, not make the Canes worse

A late 1st and a 3rd is a shit return for Kotkaniemi IMO. It sets the team back a lot

This is a lose-lose scenario. Either we match him and we overpay and we have to qualify him by that amount or we lose him for a low value

This sucks. I would match but yeah... "Qui sème le vent récolte la tempête" as they say in French. Bergevin got schooled

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Let him go, he'll never be worth that money even at his peak.

You have no way of knowing that and our bottom 1st have barely been NHLers...

Money isn't ideal but Kotkaniemi is 21 and is very much part of the core group unless Habs want to keep shooting themselves in the foot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad